The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 21, 2005, 03:11 PM   #1
KILLJOY1

He Looked Like A Deer In The Headlights

I RECENTLY WENT TO MY LOCAL CHEIF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER (CLEO) TO FIND OUT IF THEY WOULD SIGN A LETTER FOR A CLASS 3 GUN. WELL THEY JUST DIDN'T WALK ME IN TO THE CHEIFS OFFICE. FIRST THE LADY BEHIND THE 3" THICK B\P GLASS GOT THAT CONFUSED LOOK ON HER FACE AND SAID "HOLD ON, LET ME GET AN OFFICER"
WELL, HE CAME OUT AND I TOLD HIME THE SAME THING THAT I TOLD THE LADY. HE LOOKED LIKE A DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS
"ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU CAN OWN ONE?"
"ARE THEY EXPENSIVE?"
"ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU CAN OWN ONE?"
RIGHT AWAY I KNEW THERE WERN'T TOO MANY F/A GUNS IN THIS NEIGHBORHOOD. AND STARTED TO FEEL WEIRD .
THEN THE CHEIF HAPPEND TO WALK OUT.
THE COP SAID LETS ASK HIM.
I EXPLAINED MY SITUATION AND WHAT I WAS LOOKING TO BUY.
"SURE NO PROBLEM, JUST NEED TO RUN A BACKGROUND CHECK AND I'LL SIGN YOUR LETTER IF YOUR CLEAN. DO IT FOR THE LOCAL GUN SHOP ON OCASSION."
SWEET!!!
THE OFFICER STILL LOOKED LIKE A DEER IN THE HEAD LIGHTS. BUT THATS OK HE LEARNED SOMETHING THAT DAY.
SO DID I, TEXANS LOVE THEIR GUNS!!!
Old October 21, 2005, 03:14 PM   #2
Smurfslayer

Do that cop a solid...

take him shooting so he no longer has that deer in the headlights look.

After he improves a bit, maybe - I said MAYBE - offer to let him shoot the F/A. Ya might as well make him one of us too
Old October 24, 2005, 02:58 PM   #3
carguyjohn350

Thats awesome. I've always wondered how our local police would respond to such a request. Gotta love Texas!

PS. [strongbad voice] Number A, you don't have to shout. You know how many internet etiquet laws you're breaking by doing that? Well...you're breaking one. Don't type in all caps. [/strongbad voice]

PSS. If you have no idea what I'm talking about...see here.
http://homestarrunner.com/sbemail31.html
Old October 24, 2005, 04:00 PM   #4
yorec

Great idea smurfslayer. Education - a mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Old October 24, 2005, 04:01 PM   #5
JR47

When I applied for my C&R license here in Georgia, the Chief LEO was the local Chief of Police. He had never done one. He asked me to leave the form overnight, went to the Internet, and signed it. He said that he didn't care one way or the other, as long as we were clean. My Georgia CCW proved that for him.
Old October 25, 2005, 11:15 AM   #6
KILLJOY1

ooops, sorry!!!

My apologies, I didn’t know I was yelling. I work in the manufacturing sector and always type in caps. I will attempt to stop yelling in my post.
Old October 25, 2005, 01:05 PM   #7
carguyjohn350

Quote:
My apologies, I didn’t know I was yelling. I work in the manufacturing sector and always type in caps. I will attempt to stop yelling in my post.
All in fun.
Old October 29, 2005, 02:17 PM   #8
smince

I applied in early 1986 to SBR a Mini-14 with factory folder just for the AC556 look. When the Sheriff signed off on my paperwork he said: "Why don't you go ahead and make it full-auto while your at it." Gotta love this kind of CLEO.
He stayed in office quite a while.
Old October 29, 2005, 09:55 PM   #9
Dave Haven

Quote:
Gotta love this kind of CLEO.
Yeah, a machine gun cost the same to register on a Form 1 as a SBR, and barrel length doesn't matter on a MG.
We had a Sheriff like that here from '68 through last year. I had him or his chief deputy sign a few Form 1's for me in the early '80's. Never a problem.
Old November 2, 2005, 01:57 AM   #10
aaronrkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR47
When I applied for my C&R license here in Georgia, the Chief LEO was the local Chief of Police. He had never done one. He asked me to leave the form overnight, went to the Internet, and signed it. He said that he didn't care one way or the other, as long as we were clean. My Georgia CCW proved that for him.
Not sure what form you have but nothing on a C&R form needs signed by a chief law enforcement officer before sending it in. Your required by law to give him a copy of your form but he has no power in the decision of you getting your license and there is no place for his signature on your form. He could hate your guts and be the most anti-gun dude in the world and it doesnt matter.....
Old November 2, 2005, 06:02 PM   #11
smince

Quote:
Yeah, a machine gun cost the same to register on a Form 1 as a SBR, and barrel length doesn't matter on a MG.
Well, I said early 1986, but it was actually more the middle, as I wouldn't have made the cut-off for the ban that went into effect that year. I really didn't have any use for an MG, but an SBR was handy in my boat and my friend's light plane.
Old November 2, 2005, 11:27 PM   #12
Fullfog

smince wrote:

Quote:
I applied in early 1986 to SBR a Mini-14 with factory folder just for the AC556 look. When the Sheriff signed off on my paperwork he said: "Why don't you go ahead and make it full-auto while your at it." Gotta love this kind of CLEO.
He stayed in office quite a while.
Was that by any chance Joe Patterson?
Old November 3, 2005, 04:08 AM   #13
smince

No, I live in DeKalb County. It was Harold Richards. I've heard of Joe Patterson though.