The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 30, 2005, 06:58 PM   #1
C Philip

Attaching a silencer to my Cx4 Storm

I was wondering what I would have to do to my Beretta Cx4 Storm in order to be able to attach a silencer to it. It is in 9mm. Would I just have to take it to a gunsmith and have the barrel threaded? Its a chromed barrel, so I don't know if threading it would mess anything up. I know the process and legal stuff about buying silencers, so you don't have to explain any of that to me. Should I just buy another barrel and just have that one modified so I can switch them depending on if I'll be using the silencer or not? Your opinions.
Old September 30, 2005, 08:27 PM   #2
Harley Quinn

Silencer???

Hi.
The beretta sticks out some so you could have it threaded so you can put on a magnaport type attachment. Tap and die set is all you need.

But that is illegal, like you said and you already know that. OK

Now if you buy a new barrel and drill the barrel thru and thru from 3 sides.
thread the holes with like #8 fine. Measure the distance and cut the screws down so they dont go into the barrel. While you are drilling the barrel at the same time drill your magnaport attachment so it will be able to fit right.

When you have taken the magnaport attachment off you will want to make the holes slightly larger so the screws will go through with out hitting and have the screw have a shoulder where they are in contact with the magnaport.

You will have to reload your 9mm because they will be in excess of the sound barrier. Sub sonic is the clue. Now the gun will still make noise if is not a single shot. I am not sure if this gun is a single shot. Any blow back will allow the noise out.

It is not legal to have a silencer but it is not illegal to load sub sonic ammo.

I don't think any gunsmith would do this for you??? I may be wrong but as you have pointed out it is illegal.

But it is not illegal to have a magnaport type attachment, it might not be legal to have it so it can be detached. That you will have to check out.

I think it is pretty foolish to do this.

Harley

Last edited by Harley Quinn; September 30, 2005 at 11:03 PM.
Old September 30, 2005, 09:40 PM   #3
Sam Cade

Ummm...The above poster seems to have lost his mind so I would ignore him.

I think, If you mounted a suppresser on a CX4, you would run into a 922r violation as it is an imported weapon and the JBTs consider a can to be functionaly the same as a flash hider.
Old September 30, 2005, 09:44 PM   #4
Dave Haven

Quote:
It is not legal to have a silencer....
That may be true in California, but it IS legal to possess a registered silencer in most states.
I would purchase a second barrel and thread it for the "can".
Old September 30, 2005, 09:50 PM   #5
joab

OK Dave beat me to it.

I'm assuming that the poster's knowledge of "the legal stuff" pertains to how to make it legal.

You need 1/2 inch of threaded barrel to attach the silencer, I'm not intimately familiar with the storm but I believe that they have that.

Is the barrel chromed lined or chrome, either way you should be able to thread it, but I would still get an extra barrel if it is not cost prohibitive.
Old September 30, 2005, 10:08 PM   #6
Sam Cade

Guys Im pretty sure that mounting what the ATF considers to be a flash supressor onto a CX4 would change the status of the rifle to "non-sporting" and be in violation of 922r.
Old September 30, 2005, 10:22 PM   #7
Cortland

Register that carbine as an SBR. Title II guns are not restricted by 922(r). You're already going through the paperwork to get a silencer, so what's an extra $200 for the SBR? This way you won't have to worry about parts counts and tracking down U.S. parts, AND you'll have a short barrel to make up for the big 'ole silencer hanging off the front of the gun.
Old September 30, 2005, 11:01 PM   #8
Harley Quinn

Sam Cade are you talking to me?

I was explaining a way to do it so he did not need a gunsmith. I would really like a gunny to address this. I am not familiar with the other states. I live in California and that is all I really know much about.

It is so restricted here that when you buy a gun you have to give them the name of your safe and model number or else, you have to buy a lock. Locks arn't bad because when you are transporting they are good. But to force someone to buy a lock for a rifle is pretty bad.

Just trying to figure out if you are talking to me?
I am a very handy person and do a lot of tinkering. So I was addressing it as I would do it.
I could even thread the barrel but I dont think I would do that.
To thread or not to thread, that is the question?

Harley
Old October 1, 2005, 11:27 AM   #9
Sam Cade

harley: Yup.
Specificly in regards to this:
Quote:
You will have to reload your 9mm because they will be in excess of the sound barrier. Sub sonic is the clue.
Sub-sonic cartridges are not quiet. If they were you wouldent need hearing Protection when you shoot a .45AUTO or a 9mm with 147gr slugs.

Quote:
Now the gun will still make noise if is not a single shot. I am not sure if this gun is a single shot. Any blow back will allow the noise out.
That is just bizarre.

I also don't understand what mounting a muzzle break via setscrews has to do with suppressing a carbine.
Old October 1, 2005, 01:50 PM   #10
Cortland

It sounds to me like Harley was describing a way in which you might mount a silencer without violating California's ban on threaded barrels. But you can't get silencer in California anyway, and in the case of 922(r) the problem would be the silencer itself (since the ATFs views it as a flash hider) rather than just the threads.

Quote:
Sub-sonic cartridges are not quiet. If they were you wouldent need hearing Protection when you shoot a .45AUTO or a 9mm with 147gr slugs.
I think Harley was just pointing out that effective suppression in a 9mm carbine requires special subsonic ammo since most 9mm loads are naturally supersonic.
Old October 1, 2005, 03:15 PM   #11
C Philip

Thanks for the replys, but I am not sure I understand what some of you are saying. I don't live in CA, so thats not a problem. I was just thinking of buying a legal, registered 9mm silencer, then having my barrel on my CX4 threaded so I could attach it. How would that be illegal? I live in PA, and it is not illegal to have threaded barrels. Are threaded barrels illegal in any state? Anyway, if I purchase a 9mm silencer, I should be able to put it on any 9mm gun I want to, correct? What is that 922(r) you are talking about and making the gun a "non-sporting" one? You can buy silenced handguns, and those certainly are "non-sporting." Are you saying that not only do I have to buy a registered silencer, buy also make a special registration for any gun I want to put the silencer on? Like if I later decided to put the 9mm silencer on a Beretta 92FS rather than my CX4 Storm? Sorry, I guess I don't know all the legal stuff after all.
Old October 1, 2005, 04:40 PM   #12
Sam Cade

C Philip: Semi-Auto rifles are only allowed to be imported into the united states if they are deemed by the ATF to be "sporting".

A rifle is only alowed so many evil features and still qualify for importation.
Old October 3, 2005, 11:35 AM   #13
Harley Quinn

Corland did you work in the pentagon deciphering

The statements made by Cortland are right.

Sam you need to read the message as in it is unlawful.

So I was giving an example of how to go about this descreet item.

Sure register it and pay big bucks then when something is mysteriously dead and no noise, they run the register to see who has one in the area and you pop up within the block, they visit you in the wee morning hours.

Find you and the piece in your den loading up the ammo...LOL

Covert is just that under the covers.

Harley
Old October 3, 2005, 11:50 AM   #14
Harley Quinn

Cortland...Virgina Beach

Those were the days, storming the beach's getting ready to take back the Island that is not very far south from Flordia.

Then we waited out there in the ocean in rubber rafts for the signal that never came.

So we went away, slept the rest of the day, as they sailed back out of harms way. Or maybe it was the light of day???

Norfolk and that area in the early 60s, Murray Jr.s, Carling Black label and a girl named Lizebeth, Memories. Then there was our Navy Buddy, J.C.. "MEDIC" long ago in a faraway place.

Harley

Last edited by Harley Quinn; October 3, 2005 at 03:22 PM.
Old October 7, 2005, 01:26 AM   #15
MicroBalrog

Quote:
C Philip: Semi-Auto rifles are only allowed to be imported into the united states if they are deemed by the ATF to be "sporting".
But what about modifying them AFTER they are imported?

In particular via adding US-made parts?
Old October 7, 2005, 10:24 AM   #16
CQBArms

This is a very interesting question:

If you notice LCW sells a threaded Walther semiauto rifle which in theory and practice is eqaul to that of the Storm...so if they can thread that gun...why wouldn't you be able to thread the Storm.

Now the "sporting rule" goes away if you SBR the gun...so one option would be, SBR it...thread it, suppress it.

I don't fully know the answer but I think many are threading the barrel...and seem to be doing it just fine with no problems.
Old October 7, 2005, 10:52 AM   #17
boofus

I thought Beretta USA guns were manufactured here in the states?
Old October 7, 2005, 11:49 AM   #18
Sam Cade

boofus: Good question.
I dunno.

Somebody look and see where your Storm was made.
Old October 7, 2005, 03:03 PM   #19
CQBArms

It's made in Italy.
Old October 7, 2005, 04:05 PM   #20
Sam Cade

Well that answers that.

Unless somebody starts making a whole passel of domestic parts for the Cx4 the only way to legally suppress it would be to go the "2 stamp" method and SBR the rifle.
Old October 15, 2005, 07:20 PM   #21
bigwillys

I may be wrong, but isn't putting a silencer on a blowback type gun pretty much not going to do much anyways? the sound also escapes from the ejection port..or am I incorrect? Hell, if you get this done let me know, Im doing mine next!!!
Old October 15, 2005, 07:27 PM   #22
Cortland

All kind of OB blowback subguns can be (are ARE) successfully suppressed: Uzis, MACs, M3s, etc.
Old October 15, 2005, 07:29 PM   #23
bigwillys

sweet, thanks for clearing that up for me.......never can tell when you get info if its bogus or not.
Old November 12, 2005, 03:33 AM   #24
Hunter Rose

Location: 30 miles from Everywhere, right in the middle of Nowhere...
might I suggest calling your local ATFE office, and asking them? Info from the horse's mouth is usually better (besides: you can ask them for that in writing). Would seem to me that any modification made AFTER the weapon is imported would be rather moot...