The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 14, 2000, 06:03 PM   #1
Hueco

I really want to begin coyote (and other varmint) hunting. Presently I am considering a Browning A-Bolt Varmint in 22-250. The gun really feels as if it fits me well, and it is just the right weight -- not too heavy to carry, but heavy enough to stablize any movements. Here's my question -- what scope power? I am pretty much decided on a Leupold. Which is best for varminting? I would think the higher the better, but I could be wrong. IMO, I would be happy with a 3-9. But I have heard a lot about 4-12's. The shooting I would be doing would vary from short ( <100 yds ) all the way to long ( ~400 yds ). Help me out?

Hueco
Old February 14, 2000, 10:54 PM   #2
Ankeny

I like the 3-9 and 4-12 for general varmint shooting. Right now I use a 6-18, but to tell you the truth it is a rare day that mirage doesn't take over after about 14 power.
Old February 15, 2000, 05:47 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Several variables besides the scope's. If you hunt in early morning or late afternoon, the bigger lens helps in dim light. Mid-day and summer, it's less help--plenty of light, and shimmer at higher power.

If you figure you'll shoot from a sitting position or with some handi-rest, the higher powers can make things more "wiggly". If you make a portable bench and hunt from near your vehicle--prairie dogs come to mind--you can readily use the higher-power scopes.

The .22-250 can really reach out, so for a rifle dedicated to varmints I think I'd go with a 4X14 or whatever is close to that. There is no law that says you just HAVE to set it to its highest power, and on small stuff like feral cats at 350 or 400, the extra magnification just might help.

Hope this helps, Art
Old February 16, 2000, 10:42 PM   #4
cooper223

On my Remington 22-250 i have a straight 12 Leupold whith a target dot. you can see plenty good to shoot cats and even ground squirls quite acurately out to 400+ yds. variables are nice up really close but you can see up pritty dang close with as straight 12. the target dots are really nice for varmiting they seam quiker than the duplex
Old February 17, 2000, 06:01 PM   #5
Hueco

Thanks fellas. I think I might try to get to the gun shop soon and have them set up a rifle for me to look at/into. I suppose I will end up with a 4-12, but I will look at others certainly! Thanks again!

Hueco
Old February 17, 2000, 09:42 PM   #6
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Do ask about adjustable objective lenses.

Don't neccessarily buy one.

They can be nice to eliminate paralax, nice at higher powers when working up loads, especially at fixed distances.

They can be a pain at the higher powers because of the extra hassle to focus.

I've a 6X24 on a .22-250 that's beautiful for targets, etc. The objective has yardage marks on it that is accurate enough to doing ranging. It sucks sometimes having to focus and might be particularly bogus when hunting cyotes.

I've another with a straight 12X, thin hairs which works very nicely for Pdogs, etc. It, too, is a hassle for "moving" type varmits, 'specially at closer ranges.