The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2005, 02:22 PM   #1
NightRainFalls

Can neck sized brass damage chamber?

I have just begun reloading 45-70 ammunition for my Marlin 1895 GS. The lee loader I have only resizes the neck of the brass.

About half of my reloaded cartridges chamber harder than factory ammo. The resistance occurs when the last eigth of an inch of the cartridge is pushed into the chamber.

The trim length and length overall are within spec, but the cases are a few one thousands of an inch wider than they should be. This is probably from brass expansion. The cases have only been used in the Marlin I am reloading for.

Is this just a minor problem, or is it likely to damage the gun. If this means that the action will work harder, but the gun is not damaged, I will use the ammo, but if it causes damage, I will happily discard them.

Thanks in advance for your kind assitance.
Old February 22, 2005, 09:16 AM   #2
highteckredneck

I have read a few reloading manuals that say ammo is more accurate when loaded like this, but I do not know that to be a fact. I have always full length sized all my reloads.
Old February 23, 2005, 01:16 AM   #3
hivel37

I think you'll have much better results by running your 45-70 cases all the way in your full-length die. This should eliminate any feeding problems. As I understand things, only bottle-neck cases can be neck-sized. Good luck.
Old February 23, 2005, 02:39 AM   #4
Joe Bloggs

Reloads for lever actions should ALWAYS be full length sized. You do not have the camming action of a bolt to help lock up the action. Using neck sized reloads will lead to problems.
Old March 26, 2005, 12:17 AM   #5
bobelk99

Sizing

Reserve neck sizing for bottlenecks; Absolutely.
You need to full length size
Old March 26, 2005, 10:32 AM   #6
LHB1

I agree. Lever actions do not have the lockup rigidity and camming action of bolt actions. Thus ammo for lever actions should ALWAYS be full length sized to ensure good feeding and extraction. Also correct that neck sizing should be reserved for bottleneck cartridges (used in bolt action guns). If you just partially size straight cases, you can push up a small bulge where the sizing die stops. This case bulge will cause feeding problems.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

ps: NO, neck sized cases will not damage your chamber but may cause feeding problems in lever action guns as described.