The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 17, 2005, 10:25 PM   #1
Full Metal Jacket

Flinching

At the range i flinch every so often when i shoot the .45, but i'm okay with the .357 magnum
anyways, anyone have any tips to reduce my flinching with a 1911 model .45ACp?
thanks

-FMJ
Old February 17, 2005, 11:04 PM   #2
Archie

Yes.

Dry Fire Practise.

However, this is more than just 'snapping' away at the television.

Find a plain white wall, or mount a plain white paper on the wall. With an appropriately unloaded pistol, dry fire at the sheet of paper or wall. The goal is not to keep the sights lined up on some imaginary bullseye, but to make the hammer fall without disturbing the sights. If you are watching, you will easily see the movement of the sights when the hammer releases. Keep working on this until you can drop the hammer with no movement.

To begin with, ten to twenty good 'calls' is worth 100 'yanks'. But if you keep this up, you will find your live shooting improving. You will have trained the 'flinch' out of yourself.

Bear in mind, you will flinch more the more tired you get. However, as time goes on, the distance you can go until you get 'tired' will increase. Recoil also adds to the flinch mechanism. Last night, I shot a 900 point bullseye match with my new hardball gun. With my wadcutter gun, I can pretty well stay 'good'. With the hardball gun (and hardball ammo) I was getting pretty loose by the end of Timed Fire.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old February 17, 2005, 11:32 PM   #3
XavierBreath

Buy a couple of packages of snap caps and have a buddy mix them into your ammo and load your magazines for you. Then shoot in front of your favorite woman. When you flinch on a snap cap, the movement will be so grotesque and embarrassingly obvious without the recoil that you will make yourself stop it immediately.
Old February 18, 2005, 01:10 AM   #4
Jungle Work

XB has it right, Ball and Dummy. Concentrate on trigger control, sight alignment and breath control. Enough pratice and you can overcome flinching.

Jungle Work
Old February 19, 2005, 11:02 AM   #5
OBIWAN

I used to mix .44spcl with my 44mag rounds and play flinching roulette

I felt real stupid when I would catch myslef "pushing" the .44spcls
Old February 19, 2005, 01:02 PM   #6
carolinaflats

I noticed I was flinching after shooting a 9mm and .40 then going to a .22. I shot a box of ammo thru the .22 and went back to the other two and shot a lot better. Now whenever I go to the range I start with the .22 and really focus on making a smooth trigger pull and when moving up to bigger bore centerfires, try to carry the same action over. I've also noticed I shoot a lot better outdoors. At the indoor range I think the muzzle blast is a lot more noticeable and can cause me to flinch.
Old February 19, 2005, 01:16 PM   #7
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

I found myself flinching before opening day of deer season when I would be sighting in .300 Win Mag. The Browning BAR is fitted with the BOSS system and the blast was more disconcerting than the recoil.

I noticed three things that changed my tendency to flinch.

1)With regular shooting of the .300 Win Mag, the flinch went away.
2)If I shot some with a heavier caliber before I returned to the .300 Win Mag, there was no flinch. In fact, it was like my mind was saying,"What recoil and blast?"
3)When shooting deer, I cannot even recall noticing the shot's recoil and blast.

I haven't tried the dry firing or snap cap route. They sound promising. I have tried going from lighter to heavier calibers which doesn't help me.
Old February 19, 2005, 01:46 PM   #8
Tim R

Ball and Dummy is sage advise.

As far as the 300 Win Mag....buck up bucko, and work through it. If I can shoot my Win F/W in '06 and not flinch so can you. And trust me I hate going to the range with that rifle. But it is easy to carry in the field and there is no boot or boom when the cross hairs are on a animal.