The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 4, 2002, 01:47 PM   #1
krept

Emerson Karambit, plus demo vids

Just found out that Emerson came out with a kerambit/korambit/"karambit" as they call it...

details here

Video demos foundhere.

All in all, this looks like a nice blade. Not sure if I'd pay $450 for it, but it is certainly great to have another option. Kerambits look like they do much damage, the wave feature plus the ability to fold make this one very attractive.
Old November 5, 2002, 06:25 PM   #2
pbarrick

The Emerson Combat Karambit is a well-crafted tool. As for the Karambit's characteristics as a weapon, it's unusual and fun. Hard to drop, too.

Just like anything else, it's lethality lies in the skill and/or determination of the wielder. I find the karambit design interesting but it falls into the same category as a balisong knife, in my opinion. It's fun but there are more practical and versatile blades out there for self-defense duty.

Steve Tarani has a cool fixed-blade karambit available from Strider knives--it's only $350.
Cutting Edge Training Across the U.S.A.
http://www.optionsforpersonalsecurity.com
Toll Free 1.877.636.4677
Old November 6, 2002, 02:31 PM   #3
GunFool

I have learned to be very skeptical of anything that involves fancy moves and flashy designs.

K.I.S.S. ...words to LIVE by...
Old November 6, 2002, 04:25 PM   #4
krept

I agree, to a certain extent.

The kerambit is a simple weapon; the folding versions add a new level of complexity as do normal folders vs. fixed blades. I've seen the Silat guys fall to the MMA guys within their own realm of limited rules fighting. However, in the 'real world' when weapons come out, IMO this is where these guys and the Kali guys (for example) will really excel.

The Strider Tarani is a good example. I mean Tarani is a reputable martial artist and no doubt the kerambit is every bit as lethal in his hands as it appears. Heck, I think Ernie did a good demo on his site. Kerambit is for specific uses, granted... like everything else there are better tools for better purposes. For infighting, however, I think kerambits excel vs. a fixed blade of similar length. Just IMO!

Balisong are more fancy. I kind of liken them to Aikido. If you really train and understand it's limitations, it can be very effective. If not, you are in trouble. I have no doubt that the Philipino knife fighters... bantangueros? really can do bad things with the balisong. FMA has great techniques, the fact that a bali can be used as a fistpack or kuboton style instrument makes it versatile. The design is such that the lockup is much more sturdy than virtually any other folding knife I can think of, even a liner lock. They balance very, very well in the hand also. Speed of deployment is what will get you burned, especially in light of the KISS stuff. Get sloppy and you might only make that mistake once.

I, for one, wouldn't feel comfortable carrying either a bali or kerambit as a SD weapon as I have no real training with either. Doubtless, however, if you have good training, either weapon can be very effective.

Other than the ring, which can be used as leverage while pinching, for retention, or as a type of brass knuckle, I don't think there is very much advantage a kerambit has over a different style of fixed blade. In fact, one could argue that it's shape can make it less effective.

Either way, I had never seen a video of a kerambit in action, thought it would be good to share.

Here is the fixed-blade Strider version for those who are interested. Awesome piece of work.
Old November 8, 2002, 08:51 AM   #5
pbarrick

krept,

You're right about the karambit. It's a very cool weapon (despite it's limitations for self defense use in modern American society). The Strider version of Tarani's karambit looks really interesting. I'd get one (a buddy of mine has one on order) or the Emerson Combat Karambit but I can't justify the expense right now.

I recently talked to Sandra Wylie from 8886videos (best customer service in the world!). She's the CEO for the company and they're working with Steve Tarani on a lot of video and equipment products.

In fact, they've just launched a new website that's going to host karambit-related stuff. Check it out:

http://www.karambit.com
Toll Free 1.877.636.4677
Old November 8, 2002, 10:11 AM   #6
krept

VERY cool site. The trainer looks like a great idea - I'd hate to think of learning how to use a karambit on the Tarani version.

Thanks for the info!
Old November 8, 2002, 02:44 PM   #7
pbarrick

krept,

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's a bit like learning to use the Sypderco Civilian. If you've ever seen James Keating's tape (excellent tape but a tad on the extreme side in some of the applications--i.e., the improvised scalping method), you'll understand.

The trainers are definitely a good idea. I like Tarani's design, too. Who knows, maybe Columbia River Knife and Tool will come up with a production version I could actually afford to carry...
Toll Free 1.877.636.4677