The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 6, 2001, 03:24 PM   #1
NoVAlooker

Newbie Gun

Hey

I am looking to get a shotgun and was wondering if someone can send me in the right direction.

I've been skeet and trap shooting in the past and have a bunch of people at work who want me to go. Also, my father in law keeps asking me to go duck and pheasant hunting with him. I would also like the gun to serve home defense purposes.

What is a good, well built, affordably priced gun? Brands? Models?
Should I look at walmart, a gun store, or a gun show.

Should I get a 12 gage? 16 gage? 20? Something else?

How much should I look to spend?

I've got some handguns and am pretty familiar with them, and have used my fathers Browing Shotgun, but have no experience purchasing a shotgun myself and am a bit overwhlemed by the choices.

I've read a bit about the Remington 870s and Mossberg 500s (both were recommended by the gun store guy) but they seem to vary in price from $250 on up to $600 What are the differences between the models?
Also, what are the strengths and weaknesses of a short or long barrel?

I know its a lot, but appreciate any response.
Thanks

Old November 6, 2001, 03:52 PM   #2
PreserveFreedom

Well I would stick with something in 12ga if I were you. Do you want to go with a pump or a semi-auto? I personally like pumps. I think a great place to start is either a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Both are great but the Remington is reputed to be a tad more durable. As for the barrels, the longer barrel should keep your shot pattern tighter at a distance where your short barrel gives you easier maneuvering for the car or home. Most good pumps have swappable barrels nowadays anyway so why not get a long and a short? Well I think I covered some of the basics. There are many here that know more than me about shotgunning though. Listen to them. They know what they are talking about. Good luck!

Old November 6, 2001, 04:49 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Check the Archives, there's the answers to all the questions you just asked....
Old November 6, 2001, 06:33 PM   #4
Jeeper

The remngton 870 is a great gun. I have a few overunders that are considerably more expensive but I still like th 870. It is great for taking hunting and other things like trap and skeet. The parts for it are cheap and easy to find. Some of them came with multiple barrells , one 28 and a 18, Ithink. this is good for hunting and self defense. You cant go wrong with one in your arsenal.