The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 30, 2014, 12:11 AM   #26
Machineguntony

This ammo pouch attachment was a bit frustrating, and I could not find any information online on how to attach the ammo pouch to the ammo hanger. I finally brought my gun to a gentleman who worked on M60s, and he showed me how to attach the ammo pouch to the M60.

This is a bit of information that I could not find online, and there is no guide, so I figured that I would write mini guide, with pics, on how to attach the ammo pouch.

If you're wondering why one should even use an ammo pouch, when shooting loose belts is so much cooler (think Rambo), it is because shooting loose belts can damage the gun. The gun is damaged by the potential whipping action of the belt.

It is important for a civilian M60 owner to use an ammo pouch and not shoot loose belts.

Here is a pic of an M60's top cover that is shot without an ammo carrier. The top cover is marred because shooting loose belts will cause the belt to whip upwards and dent or mar the top cover.

Anyone who owns or aspires to own a civilian M60 should read Thomas Hoel's Civilian M60 Owner's Guide:
http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/m60_part_1.HTM

Certain practices in the military would not be wise in the civilian world, when it comes to your M60. If you are going to take away two things from Hoel's guide, it is these two things: 1. Do not shoot the M60 using the integral bipod; 2. Do not shoot loose belts, without an ammo carrier or pouch. The main reason for these two pieces of advice have to do with the fact that a military M60 is replaceable, whereas a civilian M60 is not, due to the Hughes prohibition, and over the generations of use, a civilian M60 that is shot from the bipod or without an ammo pouch will sustain irreplaceable or very expensive damage.
Old November 30, 2014, 12:13 AM   #27
Machineguntony

How to attach a soft case ammo pouch to the M60.

See the two straps on the side of the ammo pouch? There is one strap on top of the pouch that is sewn on (you can see the top strap in the pic below), and a second strap that is sewn to the pouch on one end and has Velcro on the other end (I am referring to the skinnier Velcro strap that you see in the pic below; I am not referring to the bigger Velcro strap on top that has the logo on it).

Now take the top strap and bend the ammo pouch back a little, like shown in the pic below.

Run the top strap over the top half of the ammo hanger. It will be a tight fit. It helps to lift the top cover and the ammo tray.

Now secure the top strap completely to the top half of the ammo hanger, like shown below.

Now take the bottom strap that has the Velcro and run it behind the bottom half of the ammo hanger. Secure the Velcro strap to the ammo pouch after you run the Velcro strap behind the ammo hanger.

Here is what it will look like after you've secured the ammo pouch to the ammo hanger.

Old November 30, 2014, 09:42 AM   #28
Willie Lowman

Is there anything on that pouch that retains the ammo?

My 23E will twist from side to side when the belt is almost gone. I think it is backlash from the belt being pulled in. The SAW 100 round "nutsack" and 200 round feed boxes provide some resistance on the belt. This helps dampen the twisting. When only 10 rounds remain there is nothing holding the belt and it is free to flop about.

Last edited by Willie Lowman; November 30, 2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old November 30, 2014, 11:23 AM   #29
Machineguntony

Very nice gun, Willie. Belt feds are so cool.

That's such a cool ammo carrier, too. Beautiful set up.

The ammo pouch on the M60 has the large top Velcro strap to retain and prevent the belt from whipping at the end of the belt (it has the LBT logo on it). The E6 has the added twin rollers on the ammo tray that improves the belt pull. The rollers helps prevent the whipping action.