The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 12, 2012, 02:29 PM   #1
JNad

Ruger customer service

I am spreading the word to all my shooting friends who might be interested. Ruger customer service is INCREDIBLE. It may be matched by others in the industry, but not exceeded, at least in this instance. I had a Ruger Red Label shotgun with a minor problem, My buddies know about this; the safety was re-engaging after the first shot, and causing the second shot not to fire unless you held the safety off while shooting. I didn’t get around to actually packing it up and sending the gun off to Ruger until November 30th. I had called them and gotten the number they needed on the package to be able to accept the gun (RMA number), but didn’t send it off for several days. The only way I could send it myself was via UPS or Fed-ex Ground (so I did). This is only relevant since it took three days to make the trip. Thus, Ruger received the gun December 3rd. I received notification today that it was being shipped back to me. Initially, I feared the worst. I thought there might have been nothing they could do, so they were just shipping it back. I called, and my fears were put to rest. They fixed it, and it passed the test fire, and was on its way back to me, all free of charge.

Thus, Ruger took it in, did the work necessary and got it back to me in less than ten working days. This from a company that is incredibly busy manufacturing more than 1 million guns in the last 12 months. I am not sure where they found the time. I was already a fan of this company’s well made (if not sometimes slightly overbuilt) firearms, but I am now a big fan of their customer service too. They took care of me even though I was not the original purchaser of that particular arm.

Well done Ruger!
Old December 12, 2012, 03:20 PM   #2
leadchucker

Ruger took very good care of me when I had trouble with my LCP. Enough so that I emailed and told them how pleased I was.

Last edited by leadchucker; December 12, 2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: duh typo
Old December 12, 2012, 05:17 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

I have had two run ins with Ruger customer service in non-warranty non-defective situations. Both times I spoke to an individual who did not have much firearms knowledge. They were polite and helpful, but were not knowledgeable about the firearms I called about. They were able to get the info and call me back after several days with reasonable answers.

I have dealt with other firearms companies where the CSR has extensive product knowledge.
Old December 12, 2012, 06:16 PM   #4
SPEMack618

I had one interaction with Ruger customer service and they were exceedingly helpful and accomodating.

Picked up the shipping both ways and replaced and installed the lost part on my Red Label for free within the space of about two weeks.

I was already a bit of a Ruger fanboy, but that forever earned my loyalty.
Old December 14, 2012, 09:16 PM   #5
hootey

Old December 14, 2012, 11:30 PM   #6
finrot

I bought a used Mk2 from a local gun store and upon shooting it the trigger would not reset. Got on the customer service site and there was a statement saying they no longer serviced Mk2 pistols. I called the service dept. and talked to a woman asking if they could recommend an alternate solution. She asked me what was wrong and put me on hold. She came back on and told me to ship it to them and they would see what they could do. I shipped it UPS next day on Thursday afternoon.The pistol arrived the following tuesday repaired with no charge. This without compare is the best customer service I have ever recieved in my life.
Old December 15, 2012, 12:03 AM   #7
Xfire68

I agree 110%! They are fantastic. I had a SR9c that suffered from light primer strikes and they sent me a email with a UPS label to send it in and I had it back in 4 days fixed! That is freaky fast! Take that Jimmy John's!
Old December 15, 2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Mac Sidewinder

I had a similar experience with Ruger also. I stuck a bullet in the barrel of my GP100. When I got it pushed out with a dowel rod it left a "ring" of what I thought was copper. I tried everything I could think of to remove it from brass rods to solvent but couldn't remove it.

I contacted Ruger and they told me to send it in. I sent it in via UPS (who said it had to go 2nd day air @ $80). Ruger said that there was a manufacturer defect in the barrel and replaced it with a brand new one free of charge. They sent it to a lgs and he charged me $30 for the ffl transfer.

I sent a letter to Ruger explaining that their website said that the revolver had to be sent via UPS and since the weapon had a manufacturer defect, I would appreciate it if they would refund me the cost. I never heard anything from them in response for 2 weeks. The letter I received apoligized for the weapon and contained a check for $110!

Now thats what I call customer service!

Mac