The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 19, 2011, 11:22 AM   #1
DTrain

Browning Maxus All Purpose

If one was looking for a single 12ga shotgun to meet the needs of mainly turkey hunting, but also be readily available for upland birds, duck, geese etc. and the occasional round of trap/skeet/sporting clays would the Browning Maxus All Purpose be the right choice? Any others that should be considered?

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...inity-firearms

Currently I have an 870 Express setup for turkey. It gets the job done, but I just don't love the shotgun for some reason. I was looking at the Maxus to suit all my hunting needs etc and possibly turning the 870 into more of a home defense shotgun since it already has shorter barrel on it.

What say you?
Old July 19, 2011, 11:37 AM   #2
zippy13

Typically, an all purpose gun is master of none. If you're serious about wanting a "do everything" gun, consider one with several barrels and an adjustable stock.
Old July 19, 2011, 12:47 PM   #3
wilkerr1

I just purchased a Maxus. I'm impressed. It shoots everything and has many chokes to choose from. JUST my two cents. Benelli make some great ones too.
Old July 19, 2011, 02:31 PM   #4
AllenJ

If you have shot the Maxus and like it then that is the gun for you. After researching semi-autos for over a year I purchased a Maxus and really like it.
Old July 19, 2011, 03:58 PM   #5
LSnSC

Unless youre shooting competitively its should be a fine all around gun. I shoot a Beretta 391 for occasional registered trap, skeet and sporting clays. Inever had a problem holding my own with it. I have a dedicated trap gun, but its not a favorite.
Old July 19, 2011, 04:52 PM   #6
DTrain

I do not ever plan to shoot competitively!
Old July 20, 2011, 09:48 AM   #7
LSnSC

Then its a non issue. The Maxxus will be a great all around shotgun. Ive heard nothing but praise for them.
Old July 20, 2011, 11:13 AM   #8
Deerhunter

I have a Browning Maxus. I shoot ducks with it. Took it out for doves. I even take it to the trap and skeet fields. Not one complaint about it at all.
Old July 20, 2011, 12:59 PM   #9
BigJimP

Since you don't want to shoot competitively ...most any well made semi-auto will be fine ...and I would look at the complete line of guns from Beretta, Browning and Winchester - for gas guns ....and Benelli for Inertia operated guns.

Nothing wrong mechanically with the Maxus ...but nothing wrong with the Browning Silver series - or the Win SX series either ...(Browning / Winchester are the same company now for the last 4 or 5 years - and both owned by FN / although Browing seems to be running the shotgun divisions) ...or any of the gas guns from Beretta ( and I think they have about 25 models ).

Buying a shotgun is about "Fit" - so it hits where you look. You have to figure out what stock dimensions Fit you / length of pull, drop at comb, drop at heel ....and does the gun come with shims so you can adjust the stock to receiver angles. Adjustability is a big deal.... I encourage you to pick a gun that has stock shims / and exclude the ones that don't.

Since you want to hunt - you have to decide if a 3 1/2" chamber is important to you or not. For most of us - a 3" chamber is plenty ...and all of the guns offering a 3 1/2" will be more money.

The Inertia guns will give you more recoil than a gas gun ...but they shoot a lot cleaner ...so its a trade-off.
Old July 20, 2011, 01:48 PM   #10
DTrain

Thanks for all the good advice! Less recoil is one of the reasons I am looking. And having said that, after shooting 3" turkey loads out of my 870, I do not ever plan to shoot a 3 1/2" shell
Old July 20, 2011, 02:10 PM   #11
BigJimP

I think that's a smart approach ...

You have lots of choices withing Browning / Winchester or Beretta on gas guns. If you decide you like the Benelli - some of their guns ( synthetic stocks only ) come with a recoil supression system called Comfort Tech ...and I have one in the Benelli Super Sport model - both a 12ga and a 20ga ...and I like them a lot. The Benelli - with a Comfort Tech system in it ...is about the same recoil for any given shell - as a gas gun. The downside on the Benelli - is they are more money - than most of your other options on the gas gun side.

But at least look at them - as you make your choice ...

Remember the lighter the gross weight of the gun - the more recoil you are going to get for a given shell. An increase in 1 lb of gross weight ...will reduce recoil between 15 and 20% ...so light guns might beat you up.../ but they're lighter to carry in the field ...so like everything, its a trade off... and the Benelli's in general - are very light ...

...and no matter what - be skeptical of what you hear from the other side of the gun counter ...and have some fun with the process !!
Old July 22, 2011, 09:09 AM   #12
DTrain

Thanks BigJimP, I'll keep that all in mind as I continue searching/dreaming
Old July 22, 2011, 09:58 AM   #13
Rugerismisticness

If there ever was an all purpose gun, the maxus is it. That gas system is very durable, simple, and reliable with a very wide range of loads. Betcha didn't know it, but the gas system decends from the SX1 and can be made to cycle 3/4oz loads just as well as any sx1. The only thing that I wish could have been done in an all purpose model is; changable ribs, additional wieghts, and something along the lines of an adjustible gel cheek piece.