The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 17, 2011, 06:18 AM   #1
Maxem0815

Do you own a 10 gage?

Hi just a question about 10 gage do you own one which one and why? I have three, an Ithaca auto 10 and two side by side. I like the Ithaca its a classic and much lighter than any other 10 with a manageable recoil. I haven't shot it in years.
Mace

Happiness is a belt fed weapon and lits of ammo. Hum Wonder if I can find a belt fed 10 ga.
Old July 17, 2011, 07:34 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Don't know if I ever held a 10ga... I have held a 10ga shell to compare to my 12 and .410 shells.

Brent
Old July 17, 2011, 08:18 AM   #3
Slugo

YES!!!

a full auto...

Old July 17, 2011, 11:12 AM   #4
BigJimP

Not anymore ....

I bought a new 10ga Browning BPS about 15 yrs ago - prior to a goose and duck hunt in Arkansas.....used it for 3 days ...and sold the gun and the case I brought it to Arkansas with ...to the guide !!

Yes, I used to think the recoil from a 10ga was manageable ...but then, when I was young, I thought being a smokejumper was a good idea too ??? Not so much anymore on the 10ga or jumping out of perfectly good airplanes...
Old July 17, 2011, 11:18 AM   #5
PawPaw

No, but my son's father-in-law has one. An H&R single barrel. That thing kills on one end and wounds on the other. It's a beast.

I don't see anything it will do that a 3" 12 gauge shotgun won't do.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 17, 2011, 11:51 AM   #6
EMN89

I dont personaly have one but a friend of mine has a h&r single shot, I have shot it with 3 1/2 #4 buck and 3 1/2 00 buck and like stated before the recoil is quite brutal. I had the bright idea to shoot it lefty (I am right handed) and it partially dislocated my shoulder, i never pulled that stunt again. I have never really felt the need to have a 10 gauge because I have a 12 gauge and dont feel it would benefit me in any way.
Old July 17, 2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

H&R model 176, single shot break action with a 36" barrel. It is so much fun to shoot it should be illegal. I have had other people most considerably smaller than me shoot it and all agree it wasn't as bad as they thought it would be but holding that long thick barrel up in the air to point it at the target took some muscle. Full choke and it does not like 00. At 25 yards it shoots a donut pattern big enough for a large rabbit or medium size dog to walk through but everything from #7 1/2 to #3 steel shot shoots wonderful patterns to point of aim I bought it second hand on line and wish I had gotten one sooner, it quickly became a favorite gun, so favorite I just sent for a press so I can reload for it because a case of 10 gauge makes my wallet weep.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 17, 2011, 02:42 PM   #8
zippy13

Nope, never shoot in an environment where it's necessary.
Old July 17, 2011, 05:04 PM   #9
natman

If I were a dyed-in-the-wool goose hunter I might think about it. Or if I felt a compulsion to shoot turkeys past 50 yards. If you absolutely have to have the best possible patterning too far away, you can't beat a 10 gauge.

But I'm not and I don't, so I don't own one. Too heavy, too expensive for the minor improvement I don't need.
Old July 17, 2011, 05:14 PM   #10
Jack O'Conner

In 1978, I bought a new H & R single shot in 10 gauge. Cost was about $75. Reason was that lead shot was recently outlawed for ducks & geese. My 16 gauge was not advised for steel shot by local Smith.

One hunt was all it took to lose interest in the 10 gauge and its 3.5 inch shells. Punishing recoil was more than I could take.

I sold the H & R to a guy at work for same as I paid but threw in the partial box of shells to close the deal. Good riddance to that kicker!!

Jack
Old July 17, 2011, 09:15 PM   #11
BIG P

Did have, the beast was to much for my liken,knock the color out of your coat.
Old July 17, 2011, 10:31 PM   #12
publius

I had a Rem. SP-10 for about a year. Nice, well made gun, but it was really too heavy and I really didn't have any business buying it at the time with the money I was making. Traded it on an AR and gave the shells to my brother to use in his BPS. He quit using his BPS because he gets better patterns with his 3.5 Mossberg 835! If you are a serious goose, duck, or turkey hunter and don't care about weight or the cost of ammo they're great. sometimes I wish i still had mine, but I say that about every gun I have ever sold.
Old July 17, 2011, 10:40 PM   #13
egor20

No I don't own one, but I've shot an Ithaca 10 Gauge before, It's a kicker.

Slugo, BTW that's cheating at "Skeet"

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old July 18, 2011, 09:50 AM   #14
NightSleeper

I've never even seen a 10-gauge. They're not very popular anymore.

And I think a 12-gauge with a 3.5" chamber can do anything a 10-gauge needs to do when it comes to hunting game.
Old July 18, 2011, 10:16 AM   #15
meatgrinder42

A guy I work with just bought a Benelli (Sp?) 20 gauge. He bought it for geese but I agree with Night sleeper, my 3.5 12 gauge will hit 'em just as well.
Old July 18, 2011, 10:20 AM   #16
AllenJ

I have a friend who hunts waterfowl a bunch and he swears by his SP10. He won a SBE at a DU dinner a few years back and tried it, then put it in the closet and started using the 10 again. He ended up giving the SBE to his son, lucky kid!
Old July 18, 2011, 11:14 AM   #17
Mavrik

My Ithaca Mag 10 is my go to gun for fall turkey season.

It's definitely heavy and has a decent kick and I'm relatively sure that a 3.5in 12 ga could do everything it does. Having said that, I really like it and it's brought me a few Thanksgiving dinners so far.

Mavrik

Old July 19, 2011, 03:57 AM   #18
kozak6

No. I don't hunt and I'm recoil sensitive.

Although, it would be fun to fire one at least once.
Old July 19, 2011, 05:15 AM   #19
hardworker

Never needed one. 12 is easier to find and cheaper, and the guns are lighter
Old July 20, 2011, 12:54 AM   #20
Sphawley

I would like to own one!!!
Old July 20, 2011, 04:31 AM   #21
bamaranger

came close

Nearly bought a BPS 10, customized as a stubby 22" turkey gun. But......when the time came, I realized the thing weighed a TON and I passed. Humping that monster after a rambling gobbler all morning, or hanging it on target at a hung bird 15-20 min would be impossible, for me anyhow.
Old July 20, 2011, 07:58 AM   #22
Sea Buck

AYA 10 ga double,32 in barrels,F&F, pull the second trigger and they both go off...you only do this once and always remember it!!! 12.5 lbs. Very tight full chokes, have knocked down birds at well over 50 yds.Manufactured in late 50's I think.After all these years and many rounds fired it still locks up tight. After a few shots fired a shot of Crown helps the shoulder.
Old July 20, 2011, 10:43 AM   #23
ocharry

i have an american arms turkey special side by side,,with choke tubes i bought new,,26" barrels

i have had it for prolly 25 years maybe longer,,it has taken many turkeys,,couple coyotes,,i don't know how many crows,,they just can't seem to fly high enough,,lol

a buddy of mine used to give me stuff about it,,and he had a IIRC beretta silver hawk sxs in 3",,you talk about a shoulder breaker,,it kicked TWICE as hard as my 10,,,i only shot it once and told him if it were mine i would drive it into the ground and leave it in the woods

i think it is all about how the gun is set up

i really love my 10ga.,,,,it IS a killing machine,,it has NEVER let me down,,and the range is better than a 12,,,this gun patterns at 60 yrds,,in a 30" circle,,96% with no.6 buffered copper plated federal premium,,,i have never had to chase a turkey,,or anything for that matter,,it is a death hammer,, i killed a coyote one time at 70yrds stepped off with 1 shot #2 copper,,and he never so much as twitched,,DRT

you guys don't know what you are missing,,the big 10 aint dead,,just sleeping till you guys wake up,,,lol,,,new fangled sissy a$$ 12ga. stuff,,why that's like sayin black powder is goin away too,,don't see that happenin anytime soon ,,neither,,lmao

in my opinion,,it will out the 3 1/2 12ga.,,how ever you want to stack the cards,, and i don't want to hear they don't kick,,full house 3 1/2 12ga. wheeeew

well that my .02 YMMV

ocharry

Last edited by ocharry; July 20, 2011 at 10:50 AM.