The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2010, 10:16 AM   #1
riverwalker76

Is IMR 8208 XBR Worth the Hype?

I'm looking into buying a couple of pounds of the new IMR 8208 XBR, and didn't know if it was worth the hype? A lot of local shooters like it, but they are the ones that follow shooting fads, and tend to like whatever the media is pushing at the time. I'm just wondering if Hodgdon is Pimpin' their Powder or if 8208 is worth the look. In their 2010 Annual Manual I think they had two full 3 page articles on the stuff.

Is 8208 XBR better than Benchark, H 4895, or IMR 3031? Do you like it better, and why?
Old March 9, 2010, 10:17 AM   #2
mrawesome22

I figured it was just Benchmark with a different label on it.
Old March 9, 2010, 11:03 AM   #3
Shoney

The only way to know is to try it. With all the HYPE, every one seems to be wanting it, so good luck finding it in stock.

Because of it's promoted as temperature insensitive, it would give the shooter a distinct advantage, if true. Shooting matches or varmints under changing weather conditions, would have a distinct advatage, if the hype is true.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 9, 2010, 11:26 AM   #4
riverwalker76

My local dealer just got 2 cases in, so I guess I'll try a couple pounds. I'll let you all know the results in a couple of weeks.

From what I have gathered and what my sources tell me ... it is an old 'Warhorse' National Match powder used by the Marine Corps Snipers and Army Scout Snipers. I'll check into it more after I test it.
Old March 9, 2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Online, the MSDS says it is ADI (Thales) AR2210. Their burn rate chart puts it immediately under H4895 and above H335, so Benchmark has H322, H335 between it and 8208 XBR, for burning rate ranking.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 15, 2010, 04:30 AM   #6
Second2none333

I read this interesting post on benchrest.com today about the 8208 brx powder. i have read hundreds of post from this fella and he really seems like he knows his stuff and is also well known benchrest shooter.. - Second2none333

#1 Yesterday, 08:16 PM
jackie schmidt
Super Moderator Join Date: Feb 2003

8208 brx, not there yet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We finally had a day that got up to 80 degrees. A beautiful one at that. So, we finally got to see what the new BRX Powder would do in warmer weather.

The very same load that shot quite well in my Sporter last week end at 55 degrees, (31.9 grns), shot terrible today. .350 verticle, very wind sensitive, ugly. The tuner helped a little, but not much.

I started going down, and at 31.1, it started acting like a Benchrest Rifle. I got it down to about a bullet hole of verticle, then got it into the ones with the tuner. This powder charge was yeilding an average 3330 fps out of the 21 1/2 inch Krieger.

I then put my Rail Gun on the bench, and shot some 5 shot groups with the same laod as I used in the Sporter. The velocity jumped to an average 3380 due to the 2 inch longer barrel. The first group was a 4 shot "zero" with the fifth shot hanging down to about a .180. I then caught a nice gentle cross wind and nailed a "zero".

I was pleased enough to now try a 10 shot group. I stacked 9 in about a .180, but the 6th shot popped down for what ever reason, to at least a .250. I then stacked 3 more dead in the middle of the originol nine. Those 13 shots measured no bigger than a .180, but that one hanging down killed it. I tried another, and it sort of did the same thing, only this time two shots went out.

It was getting late, so I decided to load up a block with my favorite load of 133, 30.4 grns. I nailed a nice round 10 shot group, dead in the center of the mothball, with white showing all around. That's darned small. The velocity was an average 3470 for the 10 shots.

I don't feel anywhere near comfortable enough with this new powder to shoot it in a Match as of yet. It seems to be quite temperature sensitive as far as agging capability goes.

Gary Walters went all the way down to 30.1 in his Rail Gun, and shot some really nice 5 shot groups. Maybe that is where we need to go in the warmer weather.

Obviously more testing is needed. If we had a match in the morning, I would not have a clue as to what load to go to the line with........jackie