The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 19, 2008, 09:59 PM   #1
rantingredneck

I was certified as a Hunters Ed Instructor today

I finished the Hunters Education Instructor's course today. I've been wanting to get involved in hunters ed since my accident last year.

For those who don't know you can read here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=263730

So last night and today I took the instructor's course and passed the test. Once my background check clears in a couple of days I'll get my certification number and card and can start teaching classes.

Hoping to assistant teach one in early August to get started.
Old July 20, 2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Kreyzhorse

Congrats.

I'm 39 and actually had to take Kentucky's Hunters Ed Course a few years ago as I needed it to be able to hunt in Wyoming. I can't say that I learned any thing new, but it was an enjoyable class and the instructors were passionate for both hunting and firearms. I walked away after I completed the course and was thankful I'd had to take it and very was impressed with our instructors. They got paid (very little) but I sensed they did it for love of the outdoors and for no other reasons. I really think their passion for the sport was transferred to the children taking the course over those 3 days.

I wish you luck and I'm sure you can pass on what a wonderful sport hunting and shooting is too.
Old July 20, 2008, 02:23 PM   #3
Pahoo

Congratulations and you will find that "Giving Something Back", has it's own rewards and satisfaction. I have been a Hunter Safety Instructor for 19 years and estimate that I have taught over 1500 students of all ages and gender. We are but two of literally thousands of instrucotrs all over this country. From time to time, I have had students stop me in a store or on the street and thank me for being a part of this education. In our state, we are not paid nor is it expected. I have never taught a class that I did not learn something from those who attend. I can always spot the shooters. These are usually kids that come from hunting and shooting families and I compliment parents on the time they spend with their kids, outdoors. During our live fire, I encourage all, to shoot even though they are just there with their kids. My hope is to hook them and show them that guns are not the problem.
I salute and compliment you as well !!!

Be Safe !!!!
Old July 20, 2008, 03:34 PM   #4
shortwave

Congrats to you Rantingredneck and thanks in advance for your services as educating people about hunting as thats what helps to ensure our previliges to hunt.
Old July 21, 2008, 09:05 AM   #5
Gbro

I have been teaching FAS for 22 years, and just like Pahoo, we learn every year.
I will be doing a Elevated stand Clinic next month at the annual MN Deer hunter Assoc. youth day and will direct them to your story.
Good luck in your recovery and I am sure you will be a huge asset to the Hunters Education programs in your area.
This link is to a story written by the victim of a fall during bear season last year.
You may have seen it but just in case; I have it buried on my web site. http://www.nashwauk.net/LarryMackey.html
Old July 21, 2008, 10:13 AM   #6
fisherman66

Congrats. As a teacher that went into the corporate world as a trainer I gain a lot of job satisfaction in working with people. Don't expect to be perfect the first time, but time and practice has a way of polishing presentation skills. A good mentor helps too. Have you thought of becoming cert'ed as a CHL/CCW instructor too. I'd imagine those gigs together could allow one to open a lucrative business.
Old July 21, 2008, 10:42 AM   #7
rantingredneck

Quote:
I'd imagine those gigs together could allow one to open a lucrative business.
CHL/CCW perhaps but Hunters Ed instructors here are all volunteers. We don't get paid for it. Some companies do give discounts on gear to instructors though.
Old July 21, 2008, 10:48 AM   #8
fisherman66

Quote:
Hunters Ed instructors here are all volunteers
Then my hat's off to you for taking the time to make the woods safer. Your money (or lack of reimbursement) is where your mouth is. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure my HS class was for profit.
Old July 21, 2008, 11:04 AM   #9
davlandrum

RR - Congrats. I got certified in Oregon this year, just got my official name tag the other day.

We are not compensated, other than what we can deduct on taxes. Oregon does now have an option of doing the course work and test on line, but then they still have to do a range day in person. Some of the instructors who have been at this a while are very much against the online thing, but the problem is there are not enough classroom classes being offered to keep up with the demand. As soon as a new course is listed, it is full.

You got an experience that will add great weight to your tree stand safety talk.

Thanks for the commitment to our future!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old July 21, 2008, 11:49 AM   #10
rantingredneck

Quote:
Oregon does now have an option of doing the course work and test on line, but then they still have to do a range day in person.
That's just now getting started here in NC too.
Old July 21, 2008, 01:02 PM   #11
lt dan

this is very interesting.in africa we have such a course as well. we study for 6 weeks and then have to do theoretical exams and practical exams. we are instructed in dangerous game hunting as well as survival course for 12 days.(most of this is done in the Kalahari desert)
we are taught the values of hunting in co-excistance to conservation. we have much respect for the usa and european hunters whom according to our local instructors have passed a much more exhusting course before they are allowed to hunt in africa. this is in reference to their hunter instructers.

i have read about this hunters and it is my dream to meet any of these gentleman. in sa we (local hunters) dont miss any of the hunting programs on espn, such as Under Wild Skies.those hunters are well trained and never miss a shot. i have studied much of those programs and wish to learn more of this hunter ed instructors course you have completed. i have read your tale and i am once again amazed at us hunters high standards. i hope some day i will do your course and pass. in the mean time i will practice and exercise.

good luck and strenght!!!

Last edited by lt dan; July 21, 2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: add
Old July 21, 2008, 05:26 PM   #12
davlandrum

LT Dan,

Sounds like yours is a lot more in depth than ours!! 12 days in the Kalhari!!!! We get complaints if we are late taking a 10 minute break every hour.

I would say we focus on 3 key things: 1) gun safety (muzzle control, load/unload, etc) 2) ethical hunting (shot placement, respect for others and their property, conservation) and 3) survival skills (using a compass and map, starting a fire). Survivial skills are very basic and practice very minimally (in my experience).

I believe Germany has a very intensive course, but the goal in the US is to make safe, responsible hunters.

And don't believe the TV shows. Those guys miss, they just get to edit them out.....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old July 22, 2008, 06:20 AM   #13
lt dan

in the kalahari they show you how to survive. we are not expected to survive for 12 days. this 12 days include our practical exams as well as hunting for animals you paid for. this is more like a first phase ph course. we do not have the course describe in this thread and i think it is a shame that we dont.

i think the focus pionts you described are of utmost importance.

even if the tv shows on espn are edited i still try not to miss them.
it is my dream to one day hunt elk or white tail in the usa.

Last edited by lt dan; July 22, 2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: case