The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 29, 2002, 10:49 AM   #1
Marshall

Location: I live in a small bush community in southeast Alaska called Gustavus
Lengthening the magazine

Hi fellows,
I have a couple of Rem M-700 classics in .350RM. Both rifles have the short magnum actions. Is it practical to increase the magazine length so I can seat the bullets out some? If so how much of an increase could I get? Maximum bullet seating depth isn't a problem as the rifles have long throats. I want to use heavier than normal bullets.
Another option I am considering is to rebarrel for .375 or .416 caliber.
What do ya think?

Marshall
Old June 29, 2002, 01:12 PM   #2
Badger Arms

By nature, the 700 magazine is long enough for the 6mm Remington. That means 2.90" versus 2.80" overall length. While that's significant in and of itself, I believe you can seat them out a bit further. You don't want them out so far that you might get the bullet rubbing on the magazine or, worse yet, failures to feed. No, it's not practical to increase the magazines even more. If you want to dicker with the length of the cartridge more than the magazine will allow, you can do it by single-loading rather than magazine feeding.

BTW the 350RM is an outstanding cartridge even in the Model 660 which is what I put it through. Yeah, it kicks a bit but it kicks the target even more.
Old June 30, 2002, 10:26 AM   #3
Marshall

Location: I live in a small bush community in southeast Alaska called Gustavus
Lengthening the magazine

Thanks for the input, Badger. About 2.825 is all the OAL I can in my rifles. I was playing with 160gr Hornady bullets in my 6.5 RM yesterday. I got over 2700fps with room for more powder and good accuracy with half the bullet length inside the case. I am please. It's hard for me bring myself to seat those bullets so deep though.

Marshall