The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 18, 2013, 11:37 PM   #1
engineglue

XDS & Tulammo

I went to the range with my XDS 45 and tried three different types of ammo; Remington UMC JHP 230G, Tulammo BrassMAXX 230G FMJ, and Hornady ZombieMAX 185G. I'd like to point out that I've been purchasing ammo which is in stock versus ammo I'd prefer to buy. I suppose this is a good opportunity to try different ammo but when the ammo shortage is over, I plan to only buy the best performing ammo for each of my pistols. Even if that means different versions of the same caliber of ammo for different pistols in the same caliber.

Anyway. Here's my point.

Out of these three types of ammo, I got my best group with the Remington ammo. I was able to group 5 rounds in a 3" area at 25 yards.

With the Tulammo, bullets seemed to go everywhere. I got one in the center, two out as far as 3", another one hit the edge of the bottom of the 12" target and I don't know where the last one hit.

With the Hornady ammo, I was able to group 5 rounds in about 4" at the same distance.

I repeated and saw about the same results.

I was free standing for all the shots so it certainly could have been me causing the differences in accuracy but I don't know. Are you accurate with your TulAmmo?

I looked up the energy levels for each of these rounds and this is what I found:

- Remington = 772 fps - 3.25" barrel - 304 ft/lbs
- Tulammo = 850 fps - 4.6" barrel - 369 ft/lbs
- Hornady = 900 fps - 3" barrel - 333 ft/lbs

These numbers were the best I could find and now I realize I need to take my chrono to the range next time. Since these were tested with different length barrels, it's not really a fair comparison. I really wanted to know what the power difference was between the rounds. Oh well. This might have told me that the higher energy rounds were causing me to be less accurate. Perhaps 300 ft/lbs is the most I can handle.

Sources:
http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...remington.html
http://tulammousa.com
http://hornady.com
Old July 19, 2013, 12:02 AM   #2
TRex99

I too have an XDS and have fired several kinds of ammo through it. It is my EDC and i load with Federal HST 230gr JHP. I have never been particularly focused on accuracy beyond about 10 yards with any ammo, carry or practice, since it designed for close combat given the 3 in barrel and small size. Mine makes a ragged hole in center mass with pretty much any fodder up to 10 yards.
Old July 19, 2013, 12:08 AM   #3
engineglue

The Federal HST 230gr is quite powerful. You make a good point. At 10 yards, any ammo would be accurate.

Tags
tulammo , tulammo brass , xds