The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 17, 2009, 07:33 AM   #1
guitar1580

Dummy round question

I notice the A zoom dummy rounds advertise that they extend the life of the spring by keeping it in a relaxed state. Could someone please explain this? and, wouldn't keeping the gun loaded with live rounds do the same?

Josh P
Old December 17, 2009, 07:56 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

You drop the hammer on the dummy round! And the main spring is relaxed.

Keeping the gun full of loaded rounds is asking for trouble.
Old December 17, 2009, 09:12 AM   #3
jgcoastie

Quote:
Keeping the gun full of loaded rounds is asking for trouble
I guess I missed that memo...

How so, exactly?
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old December 17, 2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Christchild

It is my understanding, that until You squeeze the trigger (after cocking) the firing pin spring is compressed. Is that not how the firing pin mechanism/assembly works? Spring loaded? With a "dummy round" (snap cap), You're able to pull the trigger without the dreaded "dry firing".

If a spring spends most of it's time compressed, what does it do?

If a spring spends most of it's time relaxed and UNcompressed...?

I keep my 12 gauge and .270 Win. loaded with a Snap Cap all the time. Load it like a live round, and pull the trigger. Let's the firing pin spring relax.
Old December 17, 2009, 09:57 AM   #5
oneounceload

"Dummy rounds", "Snap Caps", or "Practice Ammo", or whatever name you want to use allow you to drop the hammer and release the spring tension - whether for storage or dry-fire practice. Some guns seem unaffected by dry fire without them, some ARE greatly affected by that practice
Old December 17, 2009, 11:41 AM   #6
zippy13

oneounceload is quite correct with his "Some guns seem unaffected by dry fire without them, some ARE greatly affected by that practice"
But, you don't have to practice repeated dry firing for damage, just store the gun with the hammers cocked. Been there, done that. Perazzi hammer spring $44, snap cap $6 -- you do the math.
When dry firing, it's not the spring that gets damaged but the firing fin. The force that would be absorbed by the primer is applied to the pin shoulder. I recall a crusty old sergeant warning that dry firing an M-1 could crystallize the firing pin. My S & W Model 52 Master target pistol has a device, activated by the safety, to allow dry fire practice. It rotates a metal stop between the hammer and firing pin