The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 9, 2000, 07:23 PM   #1
TAckerman

Those of you who are fans of the 870 for defense vs. the Mossberg 500 please explain in detail why you chose the 870.

Many have stated that the Mossberg has problems but never give specifics. I have had one for 10 years and have never had a problem.

I'm not interested in "Personal Choice" topics, only specifics on why I should consider the 870 over the 500. Price is not an issue.

Thanx in advance,
ACK
Old March 10, 2000, 06:46 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Most agencies choose the 870 over anything else available for a simple reason, they just keep going and going and going.

I worked in the Md prison system, and instructed for over 10 years, among my other duties. The other shotguns that were tried didn't hold up.

One 870 used for training was on the line from 1981 to 98,and still might be, I retired then. Total new parts needed, stock and forearm. That 870 fired thousands of rounds every year.

Pop bought a used Wingmaster in 56, it must have been one of the very first made. I've put over 3000 rounds through it so far,and it's tight as a bank vault. BTW, much modified and accessorized, it's my HD 870. Got three more....
Old March 11, 2000, 03:48 PM   #3
Bennett Richards

If you want reasons then as follows:
1. 870's reviever is steel, not alloy.

2. The 870 bolt locking system is simple, reliable and very hard to jam... will fire when dirty.. VERY reliable... 2 action bars.
LOTS of aftermarket accessories available.

Truth is that the Mossberg is a VERY good weapon... Just not quite as good as the 870..the price reflects that. I would not hesitate getting a Mossey... it won't fall apart on you... but a gunsmith for a very large PD range said that for their heavily used shotguns the repair ratio was 1 870 for every 10 Mosseys that needed work.

But they were HEAVILY used.

Ben
Old March 11, 2000, 06:43 PM   #4
Tony III

Mossberg = better design

Remington = better quality

They don't make it an easy decision, do they?

When I think about my upcoming (eventually), purchase of a shotgun: I want a 590. When I actually handle the guns I want an 870. 730 is right in the middle, so that's what I want: a mossberg made by remington, they'll call it the 7:30 p.m.

p.m. stands for (Pretty Mossberg)
Old March 12, 2000, 12:30 PM   #5
gunmart

the 590 is a better action that the 500.the navy seals choose them only because they were more rust resisitant.the 870 works over the long haul better and needs less maitnance.
Old March 12, 2000, 10:12 PM   #6
Clogbert

not to mention that the 870 comes in 2 grades, the Express (Wal*Mart) and the classic Wingmaster. Main difference is quality of wood and metal finish. I am also the proud owner of a Remingtom Model 31 pump, made in 1932, which is made entirely of machined steel, no stampings. Still cycles better than either 870.
Old March 13, 2000, 03:29 PM   #7
shamster

I recently picked up a Remington 870 Police Magnum. My main reasons for picking that one over the Mossberg are as follows:
1. Proven track record - The 870 has been around for years, and has earned it's reputation as being the most reliable and durable pump there is.
2. Accessories - More available for the 870 than anything else.
3. Quality - The 870 just feels like a more solid weapon when I hold it, with a smoother action.

Nothing wrong with the Mossberg. It would be right up there with an 870. But a few small things made me go with the 870.
The plus side of a Mossberg is that the safety is in a more ergonomical location than the standard safety button on the 870. However, this can be remedied by adding a jumbo head safety button on the 870. I did that on mine, and de-safetying the weapon is much quicker now.
Old March 13, 2000, 08:07 PM   #8
Clogbert

Amen on the jumbo-head safety. I did some rapid-fire drills yesterday and realized I could flip the safety off with my finger IN the trigger guard, just by pressing the second joint against the safety.
Old March 16, 2000, 09:09 PM   #9
Covert Mission

You guys may have swayed me to the 870, when I was just about to get the Mossy. I have a 20 yr old 870 Wingmaster that is super.

I prefer the steel receiver on the Rem, the heavier bbl and safety config of the Mossy 590A1, and all the many accessories for the 870, incl being able to switch to a sporting barrel.

I didn't realize that the 870 had a reliability edge. Can't go wrong there. Thx
Old March 19, 2000, 05:00 PM   #10
obxemt

Probably too late in replying but here goes. I have both a R-870 Express with an 18.5 inch barrel, and a M-590. As stated, ergonomics go a long way on the 590 as far as safety and release, and those 2 factors alone make the 590 superior in my opinion. My Remington ($195 at wally world 2 years ago) just feels good, naturally aimable and sturdy but not heavy. The 590 ($200 including $126 in accessories from a recent PD academy grad that needed money badly... he paid $400 for the gun alone) makes me feel like my arm is completely extended to reach the forearm, and is generally uncomfortable excepting the two factors stated earlier. The 870 is pretty, and the 590 is tough looking. 870 action=smooth, 590 action=clunky. All going to come down to personal preference in the end, and since you stated money is not a problem, buy both!
Old March 21, 2000, 02:54 AM   #11
eagle-eyes

Well, I have a 590A1 with Ghost Ring sites that I bought several months ago. I really love it. It is light and easy handling. Great fun to shoot and looks mean.

Given the above, I actually just bought a Remington Marine Magnum. Man, the finish on it is beautiful. I was suprised at how smooth the action was compared to my 590A1.

I can't wait to try out the Marine, it just feels good.

So, basically I love BOTH my 590A1 and Marine magnum