The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 4, 2008, 12:56 PM   #1
DWFan

polishing stainless steel

What's the best way to polish 410 or 416 stainless steel to a high gloss? How difficult would it be to maintain the shine? Can stainless match the gloss of chrome or polished nickel?
Old May 4, 2008, 01:01 PM   #2
parrothead2581

Mother's Mag Polish gets rave reviews here. Available at auto parts stores. Other can give you a more detailed description of what you made need to do.

I pretty much quit polishing mine. They just get dirty again. There are one or two safe queens that will get brightened up every now and then.
Old May 7, 2008, 06:39 PM   #3
ShovelheadDan

Get some cloth buffing wheels, spiral sewn or concentric sewn, and some bars of polishing compound.
Use the buffing wheels on your grinder and load one color (green, gray or white for stainless steel. White (or green depending on what brand) being the finer and mirror polishing compound) on one buffing wheel and change wheels when you change colors. Use looser sewn wheels for finer polishing.
Google polishing and buffing stainless steel and you should get plenty of sites where you can get your supplies.
I've done stainless Colt 45's and Ruger Blackhawks and, yes, they shine like a mirror.
Old May 7, 2008, 06:51 PM   #4
blitzer0101

CREE R2 LED 290 Lumen Lamp Upgrade

OOPS!

"Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin, (1759)

Last edited by blitzer0101; May 7, 2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: OOPS!
Old May 7, 2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Swampghost

What are you trying to polish? You will need a variety of wheels in different diameters in most cases. Using too large of a wheel on say a fluted wheelgun cylinder will cause a lot of rounding which is not good.

Polishing well is a specialty and is best left to the pros unless you're willing to put in the investment. I have an 8" for bigger stuff, a 6" and 4" for smaller stuff plus a RotoZip and Dremel tool for detailing. The pad widths are from 1" to 1/16th". Burnishing heads are from 1/2" to 1/16". Then you get into the compounds. They come in different grits all of the way down to jewelers rouge.

Also be aware that polishing SS can cause rusting. SS still contains ferric material and polishing will smear this over the surface.
Old July 18, 2008, 07:29 AM   #6
Cimarron Lawman

I've found that polishing actually retards rust, because polishing seals the pores. Bead blasted finishes, even on stainless, seem to promote oxidation because the pores are deepened.
Old July 18, 2008, 10:22 AM   #7
mikenbarb

I use Eagle One Nano-Polish for all my stainless and aluminum. You have to buy 2 different types but their great. You can either hand or machine polish with it. The good thing about it is that it has a sealer additive that seals the surface for a long time. It comes in a paste form and I also dilute it and use it in my polishing media and it makes them nice and shiney.
Old July 18, 2008, 10:58 AM   #8
JWT

Flitz is another product that works quite well for polishing stainess.
Old July 18, 2008, 11:11 AM   #9
Inspector3711

Wenol.... Has a finer cut than Flitz.
Old July 18, 2008, 02:06 PM   #10
brickeyee

Quote:
Bead blasted finishes, even on stainless, seem to promote oxidation because the pores are deepened.
Bead blasting removes the passivation layer on the stainless and increases the surface area.
Old July 18, 2008, 08:36 PM   #11
mikenbarb

Eagle One Nano Polish puts a protective anticorrosion material into the metals surface and its weatherproof. Check it out, Its good stuff. The nano particles in it are as small as nanometer, 1/75,000th of a human hair. Thats small!
Old July 28, 2008, 04:50 PM   #12
Cimarron Lawman

The bolt on a Mauser rifle is polished high-carbon steel, and you rarely see a rusted one.
Old August 21, 2008, 03:10 PM   #13
hockeysew

Polished stainless will have a very "White" appearance wheras Nickle/Chrome will have a slight "Blue" tinge to it.