The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 13, 2021, 11:38 PM   #1
TrueBlue711

Pistol suppressor suggestions

I'm looking to get a pistol suppressor and I'm open to suggestions. I currently have a SilencerCo Omega 300 for my centerfire rifles (w/ an additional 5.56 end cap when I have it on my 5.56 rifles) and a .22 LR suppressor from Griffin Armament. Both of them have QD attachment methods: the Dead Air Key-Mo (bought the adapter) for the Omega and a tri-lug for the Griffin Armament and I'm a big fan of both QD methods.

Factors to consider:

- As stated, I'm a big fan of QD mounting systems. But I understand that pistol suppressors have to be direct thread due to the tilting design/function of most modern pistols and the booster/piston in the suppressor to compensate for that. That being said, if there is a QD mounting system out there for pistols that functions reliably, I'd like to hear about it.
- I'm active duty military, so companies that offer MIL/LE discounts are always a plus. That's why I went with SilencerCo initially.
- Pistol I plan on suppressing is my Sig 226. I may suppress others down the road too, so I'm not set on 9mm only. I also plan on getting a pistol caliber carbine not far down the road I will be using this on as well.
- For size vs quiet factor of the suppressor, I don't want a paper towel roll on the end of my pistol for the added decibels of noise reduction. Something middle ground for both size and noise reduction OR one that is modular and I can make it as small or large as I want.

Last edited by TrueBlue711; January 14, 2021 at 12:03 AM.
Old January 14, 2021, 12:02 AM   #2
raimius

Does your host have suppressor height sights?
Old January 14, 2021, 12:15 AM   #3
TrueBlue711

Quote:
Does your host have suppressor height sights?
I do not. Though I'm considering taking my 226's slide to a machinist and adding in a slot to fit a RMR sight.
How big of a difference does the suppressor height sights provide?
Old January 14, 2021, 11:56 AM   #4
DMK

Quote:
I understand that pistol suppressors have to be direct thread due to the tilting design/function of most modern pistols and the booster/piston in the suppressor to compensate for that. That being said, if there is a QD mounting system out there for pistols that functions reliably, I'd like to hear about it.
Griffin has what you are looking for. They have a Cam-Lok system that uses a replacement piston that cams onto a barrel mounted adapter. It gives you a three lug like capability with the Nielson Booster functionality.

I'm using it on my pistols and their piston in my CGS Kraken suppressor. It works great. The best part is the barrel adapter is torqued on the pistol so no more constantly checking to see if the suppressor is threading off.

Griffin Cam-Lok barrel adapter

Cam-Lok pistons

BTW, you can get some of these components cheaper at 3rd party vendors. I bought my parts from Buds Gun Shop and Hansohn Brothers.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PI45__46884.1595436373.jpg (37.1 KB, 302 views)

Last edited by DMK; January 14, 2021 at 12:03 PM.
Old January 14, 2021, 01:22 PM   #5
zeke

Have a silencerco 45 octane that fills 9mm/45/40 pretty nicely. Have a quick detach for fixed barrel carbine use, but do not believe their quick detach works for tilting barrel.

After experimenting with taller sights on some pistols, found it easier to just practice with smaller dia and the regular sights. But none of my pistols are suppressed only.
Old January 14, 2021, 06:58 PM   #6
TrueBlue711

Thanks for the info on that QD piston DMK! I'll definitely get that to go with whatever suppressor I end up going with.
Old January 14, 2021, 08:42 PM   #7
DMK

Quote:
Thanks for the info on that QD piston DMK! I'll definitely get that to go with whatever suppressor I end up going with.
Just make sure to check the compatibility on the Griffin pistons. They support a bunch, but I'm sure not every suppressor on the market.

Regarding suppressors, I'm really happy with my CGS. You may want to look at their Nautilus. Just keep in mind that although it has an SS blast baffle, the rest of the baffles and the tube are aluminum for light weight and balance. You can't throw AL in the ultrasonic cleaners. I just clean mine with a toothbrush and bore cleaner. A lot of folks over clean their suppressors.
Old January 15, 2021, 02:23 PM   #8
Road_Clam

I have the Griffin Revolution 45 . Very happy with it overall. Its unique in the sense that you can assemble to 2 different lengths (standard and "shorty"). I have the Rev45 mated to my ideal host FNX45T. I chose .45 so i could also run 9mm. I handload so i can easily run 9mm subs. I have a Beretta 92FS with a threaded barrel that cycles supressed subs excellent.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/revo...silencer-mod3/

Last edited by Road_Clam; January 16, 2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old January 16, 2021, 09:16 AM   #9
smee78

I have been happy with my Octane 45, it has handled 45 & 9mm quite well on PCC and my pistols.

The Osprey may be an option if you don't to worry about sighting issues?
Old January 16, 2021, 01:14 PM   #10
mavracer

I'm still waiting on my CGS Mod9sk to get out of jail. My biggest attraction was the weight, I ran a couple heavier cans on my TX22 and just hated the balance. I like QD for certain applications but imma hard pass on handguns.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old January 16, 2021, 05:23 PM   #11
raimius

I suppressed my 1911 for a bit, but the can obscured the sights. It is difficult to be accurate when you can't see the target through the sight picture! I eventually stopped shooting that combo. So, I'd recommend making sure your sights can clear the can or you get a can that sits low (non-symetrical can that is timed to sit low, usually).
Old January 16, 2021, 10:40 PM   #12
Bentonville

Rugged Suppressor Obsidian 45 with 9mm and .45 pistons make it very versatile. High quality materials. Modular. As quiet as any on the market . Easy to clean. I have standard and raised sights. Standard sights work quite well. The Silencer Shop helped me become informed and also made the paperwork and trust very easy to complete.
Old January 17, 2021, 11:37 AM   #13
Sharkbite

As to sights...

I find a reddot (RMRish) to be the best option for suppressed pistols. Suppressor height sights will be visible over the can, but not by much.

I run both a Octane 45 and a TiRant 9s on Glocks and M&Ps. Red dots on all of em. No sighting issues
Old January 18, 2021, 10:20 AM   #14
DMK

Quote:
I find a reddot (RMRish) to be the best option for suppressed pistols. Suppressor height sights will be visible over the can, but not by much.
I agree.

I've gotten pretty good at sighting "through the can" with irons (and I think red dot practice even helps with that), but red dots are a lot more fun, and allow for more precise accuracy, especially at longer ranges with bad eyes.

Most of my suppressor capable guns have red dots now.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210108_153830218_HDR.jpg (156.7 KB, 251 views)
Old January 18, 2021, 11:57 AM   #15
Sharkbite

^^^NICE^^^

Thats the first red dot sighted, suppressed Shield ive seen.
I run a G27 with a mini can, but no dot on it yet
Old January 18, 2021, 12:24 PM   #16
GE-Minigun

I have a 226 Tactical and run a SWR Octane 9HD on it with “standard height sites and have no problems hitting anything under 50 yds; you just have to aim through the suppressor. I started to get suppressor height sites and thought maybe I should just give it a try…took some getting used to but now its cake. In the end it’s your money and not mine, but I’d spend it elsewhere. Also, I wouldn’t run 9mm through a 45 suppressor…not going to be as quiet as a dedicated one
Old January 18, 2021, 09:53 PM   #17
DMK

Quote:
^^^NICE^^^

Thats the first red dot sighted, suppressed Shield ive seen.
Thanks!

The short little 3" barrel keeps 124gr FMJ practice ammo subsonic (Hot HPs still crack).

It has an aftermarket threaded barrel and a HS 507K on it. I sent the slide off to Primary Machine to mill the slide for the mounting. I had them Cerakote the slide FDE and I used Brownells FDE Alumahyde II on the frame. (If I were to do it over again, Earth Brown would have been a closer match to the slide).

It's also using the Griffin Cam-Lok.

Last edited by DMK; January 18, 2021 at 09:59 PM.
Old January 20, 2021, 11:49 AM   #18
dogtown tom

Quote:
GE-Minigun ..... Also, I wouldn’t run 9mm through a 45 suppressor…not going to be as quiet as a dedicated one
That's not a hard and fast rule.
The caliber of that hole in the front cap may not affect sound as much as the internal volume, length, type of baffles, etc. Include other variables such as bbl length and bullet weight.

Another dealer/SOT once posted that the quietest 9mm can he ever owned was an AAC .40 cal..........quieter than any of his 9mm cans. I've had customers report similiar experiences with .45cal cans and shooting 9mm.

The reasons for going with a .45 cal silencer often include the user wanting to maximize his $$$, same as those buying a 7.62 can and shooting 6.5 or 5.56 through it.

Flexibility has value. And it also virtually eliminates baffle strikes.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 20, 2021, 04:09 PM   #19
GE-Minigun

Tom,

You are correct, however in my experience that has not been the case. I attend a machinegun shoot couple times a year and have tried tons of different suppressors. As most know and some don’t…what sounds good to me will or might sound like crap to you. When I was looking for a 9mm suppressor I tried a couple AAC’s an SWR and a Griffin…ended up with the SWR, granted this was close to 10 years ago and I would guess suppressors have gotten better. Believe me I can understand one “getting their moneys worth”
Old January 20, 2021, 09:16 PM   #20
TrueBlue711

Quote:
The reasons for going with a .45 cal silencer often include the user wanting to maximize his $$$, same as those buying a 7.62 can and shooting 6.5 or 5.56 through it.
This is exactly why I got a 7.62 can for my rifles and why I plan on getting a .45 can for my pistols & future PCCs. I don't doubt that a dedicated can for the caliber will be quieter, but by how many decibels? Will those few decibels be worth the ~$1000 price tag and 9 months of waiting for each dedicated can? My checkbook says no. Maybe years down the road, it might. At that point, I'll buy cans for the smaller calibers and make the larger diameter cans dedicated for 7.62 & .45 respectively.
Old January 22, 2021, 09:09 PM   #21
Road_Clam

I suppress my .45 FNX45T , my Beretta 92FS , and my Uzi all with my Griffin Rev45 can. I also load 9mm subs and dam you get impressive quietness with subsonic 9mm. My 45 can on a 9mm supersonic is ok, but quite a bit louder than 45acp (which are already subsonic). I wish I could buy a .40 S&W threaded barrel for my newly acquired Sig P226 Elite, but nobody makes one. I could easily get .40 S&W ammo subsonic.
Old January 24, 2021, 10:36 PM   #22
TrueBlue711

So the endcap talk brought up another factor to consider in this suppressor search. What .45 suppressors have 9mm end caps available? I've been doing a little bit of searching and I can't find that many. So far, I've found Rugged Obsidian 45 has 9mm endcaps available. Any others?
Old January 27, 2021, 06:58 PM   #23
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue711
So the endcap talk brought up another factor to consider in this suppressor search. What .45 suppressors have 9mm end caps available? I've been doing a little bit of searching and I can't find that many. So far, I've found Rugged Obsidian 45 has 9mm endcaps available. Any others?
I can tell you from experience that purchasing endcaps in an attempt to further suppress db levels is a complete waste of money. If you want to buy just one handgun can buy a .45 and shoot all calibers . (just my opinions )
Old January 27, 2021, 09:51 PM   #24
Sharkbite

My Octane 45 has 9mm endcaps avail. I havent bothered. Its quiet enough on my 9mm hosts and i dont have to remember to change end caps when i switch back and forth.