The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: OK Fat Guy, How Do You Conceal Your Gun?
I don't 7 4.02%
Belt holster under loose shirt 46 26.44%
Tuckable belt holster 17 9.77%
Shoulder holster 10 5.75%
Inside a pocket 63 36.21%
Inside pants 46 26.44%
Fanny pack 10 5.75%
Other 18 10.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 7, 2011, 01:46 PM   #26
hoytinak

Either IWB at 3-4 o'clock or pocket depending what I'm carrying.
Old January 7, 2011, 02:12 PM   #27
ripnbst

I am not fat so I don't know if this would work. I guess it would depend how soft you are but I would think Small of Back holsters would be best. I cant recall a hefty guy ever having fat hang over the back of his pants, the front and sides yes so I think small of back would be a good option but it depends what you will be doing while carrying. Lots of sitting down makes SOB carry very uncomfortable.

The reason I say I don't know if it would work or not is because depending on how big people are I don't know if you can physically reach the small of your back. Not being funny.
Old January 7, 2011, 02:16 PM   #28
hogcowboy

Now I have to admit I'm fat.

American Legion Rider
Old January 7, 2011, 02:48 PM   #29
BarryLee

A few years ago in college I worked part-time in a Men’s store. I was surprised how many men had no idea what size clothing they should be wearing. What was even more surprising were the number of customers that would buy clothing that was poorly sized even when presented with the correct sizes.

I guess my point is if you wear properly fitted and tailored clothing then how much you weigh should not really impact how you carry. Try to get pants that fit you at your waist not six inches below. Also, remember an IWB holster will need a little extra space, so add another inch or two and do not forget to find a belt that fits properly. A nice fitting sport coat or casual blazer may also help with concealment and a linen version can be surprisingly cool in the summer.

Anyway, enough with fashion tips lets go eat some BBQ pork sandwiches…
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 7, 2011, 02:53 PM   #30
hogcowboy

With a bad hip, I can't carry strong side. I'm somewhat forced to carry cross draw shoulder holster with a vest to conceal. It has worked for 5 years now.

American Legion Rider
Old January 7, 2011, 04:20 PM   #31
Don P

At 6'2" and 330lbs. I wear a OWB holster with a tee shirt over it. To date NO one has noticed the bulge.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 7, 2011, 04:35 PM   #32
Wildalaska

Quote:
Wild you are not right.
Thank you. Thats is one of my favorite compliments. Next time you need a gun, $25 over my cost plus freight to you. What a sweetheart you are (I hope you are a guy)

Quote:
in Alaska you can carry a Desert Eagle in .50AE on a headband if you wanted to.
I dont need anyhting bigger than a .32 since I can shoot

WildthisisyourfacethisisyourfaceonsilvertipsAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old January 7, 2011, 07:01 PM   #33
357 Python

Depends on the weather. Normally I carry in a belt holster under a light to medium weight jacket (Spring-Fall), or a medium to heavy weight coat (Winter). Sometimes I will carry in a shoulder holster under the same type of clothing. When its too hot for a cover garment I open carry (legal in Virginia).
Old January 7, 2011, 08:11 PM   #34
Joe_Pike

I carry a 642 in a Mika round cut pocket holster. Terrific combination. I would like to try one of those Desert Eagle headbands, though.
Old January 7, 2011, 11:23 PM   #35
t45

Im 6'-3" 260Lbs. I do not have a problem CC'ing with a OWB at 4 o clock or during cool weather, I use a shoulder holster.
Old January 7, 2011, 11:25 PM   #36
wvshooter

You forgot one important option.

Between the pork chops.
Old January 8, 2011, 01:25 AM   #37
MidwestRookie

Quote:
WildthisisyourfacethisisyourfaceonsilvertipsAlaska

you've done that 13 thousand times?? more ideas than family guy and simpsons combined!
Old January 8, 2011, 10:38 AM   #38
arktravler

As a self proclaimed fat boy, I carry owb w/ a Simply Rugged holster, which with a good belt fits close to the body, or for my KT PF9 in my back pocket.
Old January 8, 2011, 10:46 AM   #39
Wildalaska

Quote:
you've done that 13 thousand times?? more ideas than family guy and simpsons combined!
No I have repeated myself once in a while

WildaprizeifyoufindtherepeatsAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old January 8, 2011, 11:09 AM   #40
mikerault

I guess at 5'10" and 250 I qualify (darn it....) I carry either in a IWB Crossbreed super tuck at the 5 o-clock position or in a fanny pack worn on the left side. I need a good IWB magazine pouch for 2-16 round XD9mm SC magazines though...
Old January 8, 2011, 11:21 AM   #41
Ben2K

FWIW, I sometimes take a pouch from a large knife or a Leatherman-type tool, and put a magazine in that. Then you can wear it openly, and no one notices.
Old January 8, 2011, 02:09 PM   #42
spacemanspiff

Pffft! Ya'll a buncha posing wannabe fatboys. Yeah ya heard me right! I'm calling all ya'll a buncha fakes n phonies!

You want fat? I'll see your fat and raise you two chubs!

5'5" 320 lbs. I am not round either. Its more like a rectangle. From the shoulders down to my thighs, about the same girth. My backfat has backfat. Its easy to be 275 lbs+ when you are 6 feet tall. Try doing that when you are less than 5 and a half feet tall!

A simple tuckable innerwaist band holster has been sufficient for me the past, 8 or 9 years. Since I was 250 lbs. I never tuck it though, never have to wear a tucked in shirt. I carry a full size 1911, the holster rides low enough that nothing noticable prints. Maybe one corner, the magwell. But I wear adequate shirts that hide it and never risk riding up over it to expose the gun.

The only thing I have a tough time keeping from printing is when I decide to carry my spare mags in a carrier on my belt.
Old January 8, 2011, 02:09 PM   #43
vwfool

6', 285lbs

LCR, PPK, PP, and P3AT in front right pocket.
XD-45, various 1911's, 3 1/4" 1917 S&W, 7 1/2" Ruger bisley IWB @ 4 o'clock.

Yeah I said 45LC 7 1/2" Ruger Bisley IWB. I don't like having something beat and bang my leg while goinig through the woods. I admit, while wearing denim shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt the IWB Bisley, the wife, and I went to go see 3:10 to Yuma several years ago. I enjoyed carrying that more than I enjoyed the movie.

For me IWB works pretty well; It just kinda squishes into my love handle so most shirts conceal everything pretty well.
Old January 8, 2011, 02:40 PM   #44
Edward429451

Note to self, do not **** off the fat guy, he'll kill you.
Old January 8, 2011, 02:55 PM   #45
Straightshooter629

6'-265 lbs, I always carry my Rossi 462 snubbie in either a Don Hume belt slide or a N8-squared tatical IWB, but always crossdraw under a untucked shirt, unless I carry it in my Uncle Mikes ankle rig.
Old January 8, 2011, 04:04 PM   #46
Jamas

"WildaprizeifyoufindtherepeatsAlaska ™©2002-2010"

Well

WildpracticalAlaska - in post Enola Gay? in 2006
and
WildpracticalAlaska - in post Why isn't Russian 7.62 Nagant revolver ammo imported? in 2002
Old January 8, 2011, 04:27 PM   #47
Wildalaska

Quote:
"WildaprizeifyoufindtherepeatsAlaska ™©2002-2010"

Well

WildpracticalAlaska - in post Enola Gay? in 2006
and
WildpracticalAlaska - in post Why isn't Russian 7.62 Nagant revolver ammo imported? in 2002
Cool. You win. Send your details and shirt size (if I feel generous enough to send you a shirt, maybe, maybe not) by PM

WildandthinkaboutthefactthatyouwantedsomefreeswagbadenoughtosearchformyduplicatesthatcouldbeabadsignAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old January 8, 2011, 05:04 PM   #48
spacemanspiff

Making it sound like wanting free stuff is a bad thing?

Back on topic, I also have a nice sharkskin holster, not tuckable, but IWB, rides the gun a little higher, still concealable, but even better if i want to open carry. Matches the pistol (kimber tle, with carbon fiber grips) nicely.

When I was fresh to carrying, I had a 9mm and .40, Steyr M series, identical dimensions. Rafters gunleather iwb holsters were perfect.
Old January 8, 2011, 05:28 PM   #49
Beentown71

I am a "bigger guy" not actually a fat guy. My roll doesn't touch other skin

6' on the dot and 245 pounds. I carry IWB with either a Crossbreed or Kholster 95% of the time. I wear a white tee (commonly known as a wife beater) with a cover shirt. In the winter I may skip the tee and go with a mock neck.

With the good holsters and a Wilderness Tactical belt I am GTG. I wear my gun at least 12 hours a day, every day.

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old January 8, 2011, 06:44 PM   #50
Peachy

I get a floor jack and prop it up on cinder blocks just below my waist-line and then put a 4x4 on the jack. My wife works the jack while the 4x4 lifts my belly fat and I quickly stick my .44 mag w/ 8 inch barrel agaist my groin and quickly (as quick as I can) step back and the flab then hides the gun very well.

I tried a smaller gun, but found I spent too much time fishing around under my flab to find it. The big .44 works great and no one can ever tell I carry, especially when I go to Wal-Mart in my electric scooter.

Best,

Peachy.

Tags
ccw , concealed , concealed carry , holsters , large