The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 14, 2017, 01:31 PM   #1
Coppershot

Model 629 Grips

Mates,

I have a 629 with a 2.62 inch barrel (new) headed my way. The factory grips look a little small. I have large hands (XL), but not huge hands. Anybody have a replacement grip suggestion? I would prefer wood. This will not be a carry gun, just something I think looks really nice.
Old October 14, 2017, 07:04 PM   #2
Chainsaw.

If they are the factory rubber grips I'd say try em first, Ive got large but slim mitts and I really like the factory grips on my 629 (5"), even my real butt stomper loads are fairly repeatable with the factory grips. If you dont like em, check put houges "Pau Ferro" line. Good stuff.
Old October 15, 2017, 06:36 PM   #3
smee78

On all my N frames I go with Ahrends grips, they are my go to when it comes to this size frame. I always get the round butt finger groove under the tactical stocks listing.
Old October 16, 2017, 07:44 AM   #4
Coppershot

Many thanks. I'm looking at both; really helpful.
Old October 17, 2017, 08:38 AM   #5
Real Gun

With a short barrel 44 Mag I think you would want to place priority on grips that help control the gun and minimize shooter punishment. My 5" 629 has Pachmayr Pro grips. They are a little fat, lots of palm swell, for my smaller hands, so a fella with big mitts might find then just the ticket.
Old October 17, 2017, 11:31 AM   #6
otasan

My 6-inch S&W 629 has Pachmeyer Presentation grips, and they work just fine.
Old October 17, 2017, 11:42 AM   #7
Coloradohtr

My 629 4" Mountian Gun has the stock Hogue Monogrips and they feel fine. It is my winter carry gun and recoil isn't an issue. I think the wood grips look nicer but who cares about looks? To me it's functionality and the Hogues provide that.
Old October 17, 2017, 11:49 AM   #8
otasan

True. Wood grips are for looks only.
Old October 18, 2017, 06:44 PM   #9
rodfac

Quote:
Wood grips are for looks only.
Well, not in my book...what counts for comfort with my hands is enough wood, gently sloped to intersect the rear of the trigger guard. That prevents knuckle rap.

Ahrends' Retro series does that for me, as does Eagle's. And while I always prefer function over form, those grips in rosewood or good walnut, a simply beautiful. I've got good pics of them, but can't post since Photobucket wants a king's ransom to 3rd party posting accounts. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 19, 2017, 11:48 AM   #10
otasan

My first revolver, an S&W 28 6-inch had small wooden grips. I quickly obtained some Pachmeyer Presentation grips for it.
Old October 19, 2017, 06:06 PM   #11
joed

Grips are pretty much a personal thing and what works for me may not work for someone else.

But I've noticed when I have trouble with grips it is usually on a round butt revolver. My 2.5" model 66 came with an Uncle Mike's Boot grip and even .38 Spl hurt my hand. I found Hogue had a nice monogrip that cured the problem.

On a model 29 MG the Monogrip didn't help much. What finally did work was the S&W Walnut Presentation Grips. They even let me shoot magnum loads in this gun without to much discomfort.

Here's a picture of what they look like.

Last edited by joed; October 19, 2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old October 22, 2017, 08:36 AM   #12
Webleymkv

The best combination of look and feel that I've found are Culina Grips

https://www.culinagrips.com/

I have a set of their Smooth Target stocks in American Black Walnut on my S&W M27-2 and a Set of the Smooth Magnum Targets (slightly thicker) in Circassian Walnut on my S&W M57. They have a similar profile to the old S&W "Coke Bottle" target grips from the 1950's and are beautifully made and finished. You can order whatever style and wood you like made to order, but I always just picked something they already had made up and have been nothing but pleased (also more affordable that way). While it's been a few years, the last time I bought a set they were about $100.

For pure comfort with a .44 Magnum, however, it's hard to beat a set of the S&W factory X-Frame stocks (made by Hogue).

http://store.smith-wesson.com/webapp...layErrorView_N

While originally intended for the .460 and .500 Monster Magnums on the gigantic X-Frame, these will fit a round-butt N-Frame just fine (I have a set on my 629-6) and they really tame recoil remarkably well. They have a very soft rubber area that covers the backstrap which does a tremendous job of absorbing recoil. I had both Hogue wood stocks and the factory open-back rubber stocks on my 629 for years and while I never found it unmanageable or particularly unpleasant with run-of-the-mill factory .44 Magnum ammo, the X-Frame stocks really do make a world of difference.
Old October 23, 2017, 06:58 AM   #13
rodfac

Beautiful stocks on your piece there, Joed, did you get them direct from S&W? Cost?..... Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 23, 2017, 07:03 AM   #14
joed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac View Post
Beautiful stocks on your piece there, Joed, did you get them direct from S&W? Cost?..... Rod
Got those direct from S&W about 5 years ago. Can't remember the cost but don't remember them being overly expensive. For me they really tamed the recoil.

Just looked them up, prod_248700000 @ $68. Noticed they are now called Fancy Walnut Grips round to square conversion.

Last edited by joed; October 23, 2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old October 23, 2017, 06:11 PM   #15
JERRYS.

I've not been impressed with pachmayr's rubber grips lately. they don't fit the same as days gone by. excessive slop/movement and or improperly sized grip screws.
Old October 24, 2017, 07:01 PM   #16
Roaddog

Joed I just ordred the grips you hav on the M 29.Did you havto resite your gun after you put the new grips on?

Roaddog
Old October 24, 2017, 08:27 PM   #17
joed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Joed I just ordred the grips you hav on the M 29.Did you havto resite your gun after you put the new grips on?
Roaddog, never had to resite. Just took it out and shot spot on. I hope you like them as much as I like these.
Old October 25, 2017, 05:59 AM   #18
Roaddog

That's grate joed!Thanks much.I'm doing a lot of shooting with it getimg set up for deer huntig next munth.