The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 12, 2013, 11:28 AM   #26
southjk

Quote:
I don't think Midwayusa is gouging anyone. I doubt he was buying cheap CCI ammo. It was probably the higher end stuff.
CCI Select Precision Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose is what I bought. 70.99 for 500 is what it's listed for now though they are out of stock. I don't know if that's high end stuff or what as I'm new to the .22 game. As I said before, it was worth it to me to be able to shoot.
Old March 12, 2013, 12:10 PM   #27
NJgunowner

You guys are assuming the suppliers are still charging the stores the same. Chances are the suppliers are doing the gouging and the stores are simply changing their prices to reflect their increased cost.
Old March 12, 2013, 12:39 PM   #28
REDBULL600

The 2 LGS I visit almost every weekend both have told me that they are getting a regular shipment of .22LR and 9mm. So the supply is there, it would seem. However Both have signed contracts with multiple CCW instructors and fill their .22LR ammo orders first before putting any out for retail. They both also said they have not raised their prices as there suppliers have not either. They hold the 9mm for New 9mm handgun purchases but Will limit 1 box per customer if you buying something else. 1 of them said they think they have identified a reseller and refuse to sell them them. He started to get really angry at that point so I moved onto another subject.
Old March 12, 2013, 01:04 PM   #29
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
You guys are assuming the suppliers are still charging the stores the same. Chances are the suppliers are doing the gouging and the stores are simply changing their prices to reflect their increased cost.
Costs have been steadily rising since 2007, but there hasn't been a recent jump in price from suppliers.

One factor is simply that stores can't get ammunition as easily. When supply goes down, prices go up. Another is the fact that first-line suppliers (and the prices they charge) aren't providing, so stores are having to order from more expensive venues.
Old March 12, 2013, 01:55 PM   #30
JRH6856

Quote:
Originally Posted by southjk
CCI Select Precision Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose is what I bought. 70.99 for 500 is what it's listed for now though they are out of stock. I don't know if that's high end stuff or what as I'm new to the .22 game. As I said before, it was worth it to me to be able to shoot.
Yeah, the CCI Select Precision is competetion grade and is a high end compared to the CCI Blazer .22LR 40gn RN at $19.79 for 500. But is is not as high as the CCI Green Tag or Pistol Match at $81.99 for 500. Those are all "normal" prices.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:42 PM   #31
mshpx645

Walmart says trucks come in late at night so ONCE in a while they get some. Have to be first in the morning, don't wait till afternoons to check.
Old March 13, 2013, 01:38 PM   #32
745SW

My guess is ammo zoomed up in price sometime after the year 2007 and by 2009 it was obvious. Back then hollow point stuff was still available in the normal 50 round pack. Below are images of the CTD (Cheaper Than Dirt) catalog of ammo pricing for 2007 and 2009. The name of the image corresponds to the source and year.

Walmart’s pricing today appears to be similar to that of the 2007 CTD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CTD_catalog2007.jpg (239.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg CTD_catalog2009 prt1.jpg (206.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg CTD_catalog2009 prt2.jpg (202.4 KB, 21 views)
Old March 13, 2013, 02:32 PM   #33
1chig

stop feeding the fire! Lay off for a while and just see what happens!
Old March 13, 2013, 08:24 PM   #34
TunnelRat

It's been my impression so far that MidwayUSA is trying to keep prices reasonable.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 13, 2013, 08:30 PM   #35
ScottRiqui

Quote:
It's been my impression so far that MidwayUSA is trying to keep prices reasonable.
True, they don't seem to have raised their prices much, if at all. Of course, that's probably why out of nearly 1,500 search results for "handgun ammo", only 131 of them are "in stock".
Old March 13, 2013, 09:54 PM   #36
Colorado Redneck

Tom--Why are stores having problems getting ammo and components from their suppliers? Is the military suddenly stocking up or something? I know in 2008 the military was supposedly part of the shortage, and it took a year to get things back to normal.
Old March 13, 2013, 10:02 PM   #37
JohnKSa
Staff

The problem is that ammunition manufacturers are limited in terms of their output. When demand goes through the roof, ammunition makers can up their output somewhat by going to additional shifts, etc., but they can't just bring supply levels up to meet demand without buying/building additional floorspace and machinery. They obviously can't justify that kind of massive investment for temporary demand spikes.

The military is one buyer of ammunition, and they buy and use a lot. Local and state Law Enforcement buy and use a lot. Federal Law Enforcement uses 300,000 to 400,000 rounds a year for training and issue. Then there is the civilian market.

This shortage is being created primarily by a huge demand spike in the civilian market. People are worried about the potential for anti-gun legislation and are panic buying ammunition, firearms and firearm accessories.

It will take awhile for the panic buying to die down and then it will take even longer for the ammunition makers to restock the supply chain.
Old March 13, 2013, 10:10 PM   #38
TunnelRat

Quote:
It will take awhile for the panic buying to die down and then it will take even longer for the ammunition makers to restock the supply chain.
This is my thought as well. Even if a ban never happens, we're going to be feeling the repercussions of all this craziness for months.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 13, 2013, 11:02 PM   #39
Colorado Redneck

Thanks for your thoughts, John

Essentially, I think the spike in demand is driven by fear. Military and law enforcement demand should be rather flat.

I have seen nothing substantial about ammunition bans or any kind of limits on powder or other components. There is the occasional quote of some politician that would like to impose controls, but that is a public person's opinion rather than the government making noise.

Hope this is over soon. I am trying to make do with the stuff on my shelf. Heck of a note to have to burn up supplies trying to find good loads that work.
Old March 13, 2013, 11:15 PM   #40
Dashunde

Quote:
haven't figured out why the 'run' on .22 LR yet... seems weird to me.
I'm with this guy^
I cant make sense of it either.
Old March 13, 2013, 11:45 PM   #41
JohnKSa
Staff

.22LR guns are very common, and people are buying ammo for guns they have. It makes sense tha that ammunition for the most common guns is what is being snapped up the fastest.

Also, it's fairly inexpensive. If someone panicked and decided that they needed to purchase a lifetime supply of ammunition, .22LR is the most affordable option.
Old March 14, 2013, 11:41 AM   #42
Wreck-n-Crew

Prices should recover by june!

From so many suppliers i get the same thing as to the why and when it should recover.
Reason 1....Federal government has a first rights to purchase ammo over the public and purchased a very large quantity to save money.

Reason 2....People realized this and some went running for the shelves and bought as much as possible due to the rumor that the government was cutting back on ammo manufacturing, the government was running the price up to keep people from having too much ammo.....and the why to reason two rumor depends on whether you are super paranoid or just ill trusting of the government
(as am I for the most part).

June is the proposed recovery point by most major manufacturers of ammo. Prices could drop as shelves start being filled, or recover later if people make another run on ammo like they did the banks in the great depression.

So hold on guys, shoot if you must, and we will get there.
Old March 14, 2013, 07:33 PM   #43
centurion20000

Haven't bought a single round myself. Did have three good trades though.

Traded 200 rounds 223 for 30-06 HXP 1 for 1.
Traded 300 rounds 223 for 30-06 HXP 1 for 1.
Traded 3 ounces of silver for 250 rounds of 30-06 Kynoch.

[I'd rather shoot 30-06 over 223 any day of the week.]

EVERYONE walked away happy with their deals. So I call that good business.

Tags
22 ammo , 22 long rifle , 22 rifle