The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 24, 2012, 08:20 PM   #51
oneounceload

Of course it is in jest - Kalw and I are the good guys in the shotgun forum - but having lived next door to CA and having to listen to the escapees and their rants......well, you get the idea...

Klaw - it is simple - why should any law-abiding homeowner who feels threatened and uses force to repel the invaders have to pay and defend himself from prosecution for doing a lawful thing in protecting his home and his family?

Personally, I think you should be able to shoot them in the back if they are running away with your stuff, but that is JMO.

I remember a story from a while back - it happened in the East - where a homeowner shot an intruder breaking into his home. The intruder fell from the second story window and was permanently injured. He sued the homeowner for lost wages because he was now unable to pursue his career as a criminal - AND HE WON the judgement!
As long as those types of judgements are allowed, then SYG and Castle Doctrine laws are absolutely necessary as are the provisions preventing civil suits afterwards.

Klaw - I know you have your shotgun for HD, so "one to the head, two to the chest" might be considered extreme - in your case, just remember one shot to COM................
Old April 24, 2012, 09:14 PM   #52
TheKlawMan

Yeah oneounce, We are the good guys, should be sung to the tune of we are the ones. That is disagree with you doesn't mean you don't have the right to feel as you do. (Actually you don't but I have yet to have my coronation). Also, when it comes to what is moral and what is legal, I don't know that I am convinced it would be moral not to shoot someone in the back that was fleeing and was almost certain to visit death or mayhem on further victims. Nor do I believe that you are so trigger happy that you would give it readily to some kid unless you felt you had to do it. Of course if anyone messes with your clays guns you have no option.

As for hitting anything with the shotgun, it looks like I am finally averaging a 20 but still not straight 25. If I had to I think I could hit center mass at 15 feet.
Old April 24, 2012, 09:24 PM   #53
Gunnut17

I remember a story from a while back - it happened in the East - where a homeowner shot an intruder breaking into his home. The intruder fell from the second story window and was permanently injured. He sued the homeowner for lost wages because he was now unable to pursue his career as a criminal - AND HE WON the judgement!

I heard about a similar trial where a cat burgaler(how is it spelled?) tried to gain access to a home via skylight, he fell in and landed on some knives and was wounded, somehow managed to win, based on the fact that the knives shoud not have been there.

As far as I am concerned, the fact most states(if not all) make shooting a running intruder in the back illegal, doesn't that pretty much rule out any element of suprise in a HD situation?

Does anyone know if new mexico has "stand your ground laws". just curious, don't plan to shoot anyone anytime soon.
Old April 24, 2012, 09:28 PM   #54
TheKlawMan

http://newsnewmexico.blogspot.com/20...tand-your.html

New Mexico has a SYG law
Old April 24, 2012, 10:10 PM   #55
oneounceload

Quote:
As for hitting anything with the shotgun, it looks like I am finally averaging a 20 but still not straight 25. If I had to I think I could hit center mass at 15 feet.
There ya go - just shot my State's Sporting Clays Championship - won some money and enough punches to move up to another class. I am 4/5 when it comes to registered shoots and winning my class, so you damn right someone comes near my clay guns, that would be like coming near one of my kids!

The best defense is a good offense - harden the home, prevent the break in from the first place, get a good dog, thorny bushes, etc., but if they still want to break in and possibly cause harm, take no prisoners - never shoot to wound - THAT will get you jail and sued faster than killing them
Old April 24, 2012, 11:01 PM   #56
TheKlawMan

Quote:
The best defense is a good offense - harden the home, prevent the break in from the first place, get a good dog, thorny bushes, etc., but if they still want to break in and possibly cause harm, take no prisoners - never shoot to wound - THAT will get you jail and sued faster than killing them
The way I see it, I am getting to be better than a poor shot, but am far from being a great shot and if I ever have to shoot I shoot to stop the threat. Given the likelihood that shooting under extreme pressure, so far those orange clays haven't fired back although I have been wounded by some clay splinters, that means COM.

As for hardening the home, last week I installed additonal exterior lighting and the beagle is good for one thing, howling.
Old April 24, 2012, 11:22 PM   #57
Frank Ettin
Staff

This has wandered far enough off track, so it's over now.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread