The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 29, 2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

lets revisit that most important of accesories... the gun belt

no matter your choice of full sized auto, or medium or large frame revolver, generally a good belt is thought of as one of the most important accesories...

I've been dragging my feet on buying a dedicated holster belt... but think I'm now ready to buy one...

this question is specifically for those who have tried a couple kinds, & found one they think is dramatically better than the rest...

what is the brand ???

what makes it better than the rest ???

how long & how much do you use it ???

I've been trying to get by with heavy & extra heavy work belts, Cabela's jean belts, & heavy leather & leather & web layered Carhartt work belts... they all seem to work for the 1st 6 months, then the leather ones ( both single heavy hide, & glued & sewn layer leathers ) seem to stretch out & loose there shape... I have a pretty nice Carhartt web & leather layered belt, & while the length of the belt is still great, the buckle & holed tip seem more stretchy that a normal leather belt, so it retains it's shape, but requires me to tighten it more than comfortable, to hold tight a heavy gun, because of how stretchy the ends are...

if your favorite is a "lined" belt, what did the maker use for a lining that helps it retain it's stiffness & shape ???

... & where did you get it, & aproximate cost ???

thanks
Old January 29, 2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Peter M. Eick

I bought Galco but I made a mistake. Gun belts are double thickness so getting a 1 1/8 belt no longer holds my blackberry and my holsters do not fit it easily. Thus my gun belt is now the belt I wear when I don't carry a gun (rarely). Stupid but true.

Plan ahead on the thickness issue.
Old January 29, 2012, 05:59 PM   #3
scottycoyote

i really like the instructor belts for everyday with jeans. Ive been meaning to pick up some nicer leather gunbelts for dressier occasions. Id love to see some recommendations that wont break the bank
Old January 29, 2012, 07:32 PM   #4
3kgt2nv

i use an uncle mikes gun belt. its a nylon belt with a 4 row stitch to give support and maintain the shape. wears better than many of my more expensive belts. i have worn it everyday for the last 2 years for work and personal. no issues with belt loops on any pants so far or issues with other belt stuff, ie cell phones, multi tools or at work i carry a radio.

have to say for a 30 dollar belt i am really surprised by it and if i wear this one out i will be getting another from them.

it gets a 5 out of 5 by me.
Old January 29, 2012, 09:40 PM   #5
FTG-05

Pretty much all you need to know: http://thebeltman.net/

Good luck.
Old January 30, 2012, 12:15 AM   #6
BarryLee

I have used this for a year or so and it works very well.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...-12-Wide.html#
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 30, 2012, 12:16 AM   #7
JohnRaven

I just recently bought a crossbreed gun belt.

First impressions...

Quality. Very rigid, yet flexible enough that its still comfortable.

We'll see how she holds up.

I also have the 5.11 tactical operators belt.
Very very rigid belt.
The buckle is BA
As for comfort.... Its not.
The Velcro also wore out way too fast for my liking. Under 6 months of daily use...
Old January 30, 2012, 07:06 AM   #8
rayban

Allow me to offer my services....I won't claim they are better than the rest....just good quality at a good price.

Old January 30, 2012, 09:53 AM   #9
armoredman

This is my choice, works very well. High Noon Rock Steady gun belt, shown with the cheap dress belt it replaced.

Having said that, Rayban, nice looking stuff there.
Old January 30, 2012, 12:11 PM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

Get a belt, definitely. A good, dedicated gunbelt isn't cheap, but it will make carrying a full-sized pistol much, much more comfortable.

At the moment, I use an Aker B21: http://www.akerleather.com/off-duty-...+Carry+Gunbelt

First, my disclaimer: the Aker B21 is the only gunbelt I've ever tried or owned. With that said, it's got a polymer insert that keeps the belt stiff, and works well for my uses. I don't carry a full-sized pistol all day, every day, because of job-related limitations. (I'm an attorney and work at city hall.) After about a year and a half of carrying, I can say that it has worked out to be a good deal for the money. It has held up well enough that Rayban and The Beltman will have to compete with Aker for my $$ when I am in ther market again. (BTW, rayban, those do look nice. Next time I'm in the market for a belt, I'll keep you in mind.) It's also fairly inconspicuous. I don't need a big ol' black duty belt to go with my khakis and sportcoat.
Old January 30, 2012, 05:20 PM   #11
allgrainer

I have had a Crossbreed belt for a couple years now. It took a month or so to "break in" but that was no problem. My Galco cop 2 slot is held in place perfect. I have no problem with the blackberry holster fitting the belt. It just takes a little effort on my part to get it positioned just right. I cant say enough good things about the crossbreed belt great quality and workmanship. I will buy another when this one needs replacing but that is going to be a while.
Old February 2, 2012, 12:40 AM   #12
mssurrey

Rayban,

Look like nice belts you make.

Are all your belts double thickness irrespective of whether they are single stiched or double stiched? How thick are they - 1/4"?

I'd loke to know how stiff they'll be and what they'll be like after they're broken in? I'm also looking for dressy type belts so that they can be worn casual as well as with jeans.
Old February 2, 2012, 07:20 AM   #13
rayban

mssurrey...yes, my single and double row stitched belts are both two-layers of leather that measure 1/4" in thickness. Leather being leather, that could vary slightly, but we're talking .010" sometimes.
How stiff is stiff? I'm sure you can understand that would be relative....without knowing what you are accustomed to in a belt, it's kinda hard to say, or to describe in words.
I'd say about as stiff as a 1/4" of steer hide can be without the aid of an internal stiffener, which I do not do.
The second row of stitching does add to the belt a noticeable degree of stiffness....AND.....horsehide will always be a bit stiffer than cow as well.
But both will break in, conform to your body and form that "S" curve as I call it, and be comfortable to wear......and give years of service as a conceal carry belt.
Old February 2, 2012, 09:36 AM   #14
JerryM

I would not consider a gun belt other than a double layer leather belt. I have several 1.5 inch belts and probably half dozen 1.25 inch belts. I wear the 1.25 inch belts with dress slacks. They look nice and hold the holster and gun without sagging.

I am not in to camos and web belts unless I would be hunting. Otherwise I think they are tacky for everyday wear. Just my opinion.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old February 3, 2012, 01:10 AM   #15
mssurrey

Thanks Rayban - good to know - I'll keep that in mind

Quote:
I would not consider a gun belt other than a double layer leather belt
. Same here - only double layer (at the very minimum).
Old February 4, 2012, 12:15 AM   #16
gimike

I've had a few dual layer leather gun belts most were too soft to hold up very long. One was so stiff, that it never became comfortable.

I finally found a company with a great belt at a reasonable price. I've been wearing their belt everyday for almost a year, and it is still perfect. The company is http://www.abetterbeltusa.com. Last time I looked at their site they were still giving free shipping.

I got the double stitch option with the Kydex insert. I'm not sure if I needed those, but I love this belt.
Old February 4, 2012, 07:41 AM   #17
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Pretty much all you need to know: http://thebeltman.net/

Good luck.
First, I agree that a good gun belt is key to successful and comfortable(ish) CCW.

My first belt was a $50 Ross gun belt. It lasted about one year before it broke down.

My second belt was a horsehide from the Beltman. I paid $100 and it is still going strong after a couple of years. I highly recommend his product.
Old February 4, 2012, 09:41 PM   #18
BobCat45

I have to step out of lurkdom to agree about Beltman. Mine is 5 or 6 years old, very comfortable but still stiff and holds my holster exactly where I want it. I wear the belt all day every day and it still looks and feels new.

When I loose a few more inches of waist it will go back to Beltman for shortening, but first I'll order another (maybe a different color or style) to wear while he has it, and also to show support.

It is the only gunbelt I've ever owned so I can't say it is better than any of the others, only that it is superb - and getting a compliment out of a grouchy old man like me is usually like squeezing blood out of a stone.