The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 7, 2009, 05:42 PM   #1
johnson77

rifled slugs

this has probably been answered before but I can't seem to find it. Apologies beforehand if so. Bought some Winchester rifled slugs to use in my 870 smooth barrel. The box says they should be used in rifled barrels ONLY. From everything I've read the smooth barrel should handle them just fine. Is there a concern?
Old May 7, 2009, 06:03 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Please post the model/item number so I can research them. I have never heard of this. Rifled in smooth, sabot in rifled barrel. That is how I understood the slug/barrel combos.
Brent
Old May 7, 2009, 06:21 PM   #3
johnson77

hogdogs - looks like this is a tempest in a teapot - somehow I got wrong info. Is there anyway I can remove my thread before I cause myself any more embarrassment?
Old May 7, 2009, 06:39 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

A mod could lock it but don't worry... If it was a mis-read it is a lesson to us all to square our glasses before gettin' worried. So what was the wording? "Not for use in rifled barrels"?
Brent
Old May 7, 2009, 06:51 PM   #5
johnson77

hogdogs - here is the embarrassing story - bought the slugs at Walmart in 15 rnd boxes at a great price. I knew rifled slugs are for smooth bore. Referred the deal to a close friend who is also trying to accumulate ammo. He called and told me what I related in my first post. After your first answer I called my wife and had her read the box to me. Come to find out, the friend went somewhere else and doesn't even know what ammo he looked at. Needless to say, the local Walmart is now out of the ammo - the friend (who has some difficulty listening and paying attention) didn't get any and is still arguing with me about the safety of slugs in smooth bore shotguns.

The warning on the Winchester stuff that I bought says To avoid serious injury...use only in weapons in good condition or with markings exactly matching the packaging on the ammo -- or words to that effect.

Thanks
I'm embarrassed
Will probably have to remain a junior member here for the rest of my life
Old May 7, 2009, 08:00 PM   #6
Regolith

"junior member" doesn't really mean anything except that you haven't posted 100 times yet. Senior members aren't necessarily wise, they just like to talk a lot.
Old May 7, 2009, 08:13 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Regolith,
Quote:
Senior members aren't necessarily wise, they just like to talk a lot.

HEY... I resemble that remark...
Brent
Old May 7, 2009, 11:58 PM   #8
beaver

we all have bouts of cranial rectal inversion from time to time if thats the worst you ever do your a lucky and wise individual
Old May 8, 2009, 12:31 AM   #9
Mike U.

HEY!! I've typed long and hard for the coveted Senior Member status. JEESH! Da noive...
Old May 8, 2009, 06:15 AM   #10
zippy13

Greetings, johnson77, and welcome aboard.

It's much safer to get confused and make mistakes here in the forum than in the field. A minor embarrassment, or misunderstanding is far better than a incident involving gun damage or worse.

Keep in touch, and you'll surely see someone else make a similar mistake with slug identification and/or application. There are frequent newbie posts along the lines of: "I've been shooting nothing but rifled slugs, how come my rifled barrel is all messed up?"
Old May 8, 2009, 06:27 AM   #11
stargazer65

Since this thread is open...

I had my own dumb moment when I first bought my 1100 (smooth bore). I bought a box of 5 sabot slugs. (My jaw dropped by the way when the clerk rang up the price... I asked if he pushed the wrong button on the register) Anyway, I still have that box. Not sure what I'm going to do with it right now.
Old May 8, 2009, 07:21 AM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Star gazer, As long as your gun is not back bored, and your back stop is large enuff to catch a possible "flyer", you can shoot them slugs. Just don't expect minute of flea accuracy
Brent
Old May 8, 2009, 09:27 AM   #13
stargazer65

Thanks hogdogs... I can't find "minute of flea accuracy" in my redneck translation dictionary. I'll assume that means not very accurate.

If I find someone with a 20 gauge rifled slug barrel, I may just donate 'em.
Old May 8, 2009, 09:40 AM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Minute of flea is a much tighter group than minute of angle... The .17hmr is capable of minute of fly and my .22 savage rifle is good to minute of tree rat. The Marlin .30-30 in my hands is capable of minute of deer I haven't shot at too many angles and not sure if they are a fur or feather quarry...
Brent
Old May 8, 2009, 05:07 PM   #15
Lee Lapin

No worries, johnson77. Congrats on landing some ammo while it was available.

lpl
Old May 8, 2009, 10:01 PM   #16
johnson77

thanks everyone

Stargazr - my son-in-law (who does listen, pay attention, and is pretty sharp - got me snowed huh?) shoots a 20 ga 870 rifled barrell and loves the sabot. Give me a price, maybe we can work something out.

Tight budget doesn't seem to be much of a factor in acquiring a stock of various types of ammo here in Michigan. We just can't seem to find it - period. Grab what we can, when we can.
Old May 8, 2009, 10:04 PM   #17
johnson77

Son-in-law's plan - "Grab all you can. Can all you get. Bury the can."
Old May 11, 2009, 12:01 AM   #18
Ridge_Runner_5

I have a 5 round box of Winchester Super X 12ga rifled slugs in front of me right now...

Quote:
WARNING: To avoid serious injury/death to shooter and bystanders: USE only in firearms in good condition with markings exactly matching ammunition. Do NOT use in Damascus or Twist barrels. Always check barrel and remove obstructions/excess lubricant before firing.
FWIW I've got these loaded in the magazine of my smoothbore Charles Daly Field Tactical 12ga...

Old May 11, 2009, 10:16 AM   #19
onthejon55

Well i guess since this has been summed up ill just use it to bump up my post count