The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 23, 2005, 08:51 PM   #1
'75Scout

Damage to lights on HD shotguns?

Will the recoil of an 870 with Knoxx compstock or racking of the slide damage a Surefire G2 Nitrolon light? Surefires help center said I need a weapons grade light, but maybe they just want me to spend an extra $250. Also if they will break then why do companies like Vltor make mounts for them?

The integrated forearm seems good but I want to save a little money for other modifications.
Old October 23, 2005, 09:29 PM   #2
rapier144

damage

i've own several surefires it would take more than just racking the slide or recoil to break them by far some of the toughest lights you can buy. they are worth the money
Old October 23, 2005, 09:36 PM   #3
'75Scout

The G2 Nitolon I already own is the best light I've ever used, and it's the cheapest one Surefire makes. Had to do some work under the house last weak and it was covered in mud and I crawled with it in my front pocket. No damage and all I did was take it apart and rinse the mud off, good as new.
Old October 23, 2005, 09:45 PM   #4
Avizpls

On an 870, I speak from experience.

a run-of-the-mill MagLight will withstand te abuse. As will a surefire Executive series

Lasers, if you are interested, are another story. The one I had laying around that I had bought for a pellet gun from walmart lasted about twenty rounds.