The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 14, 2002, 09:09 PM   #1
AndABeer

Rifle barrel length

Been looking around for a flintlock to get familar with before I get really expensive (reproduction Baker). I have pretty much decided on either the Traditions Shenandoah or Pennsylvania. The former has a 33.5" barrel, the latter 40.25". Besides the handier length of the shorter barrel and the increased sight radius of the longer barrel. Are there advantages of one over the other? Better powder burn? More velocity? More historically accurate?

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown
Old August 15, 2002, 10:25 AM   #2
jpm63

There is not going to be any true advantage in performance over those two different barrel lenghts. And, if your not tried to use this gun to create a re-enactor living history persona for which one may be more correct than the other, it comes down to a matter of feel. Traditions (if memory serves me) does NOT use swamped barrels. So, the longer gun will be significantly heavier. I suspect the Shenandoah will be significatly lighter and I would head that way unless you had a reason to want a PA style gun.

You could show up at any non-juried rondy with either gun and not face any critism. I here Traditions long guns are pretty good for the money and a nice way to get into Flint. Many folks keep them for a long time and just replace the locks with one from L&R after the factory frizzen starts to wear . . . might be a long time down the road.

JPM
Old August 15, 2002, 11:00 AM   #3
Poodleshooter

Give a report on whichever you choose to buy. I'm toying with the idea of getting into flinters-on a budget.
Old August 15, 2002, 02:01 PM   #4
AndABeer

I do not intend to use it for reenacting, just hunting and target shooting. Still, I am a stickler for history so I think I may still go with the Pennsylvania. God knows I need the exercise.

Pennsylvania 8 lbs. 8 oz.

Shenandoah 7 lbs. 3 oz.

www.basspro-shops.com seems to have the best prices so far

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown
Old August 16, 2002, 01:06 AM   #5
AndABeer

Pennsylvania ordered and expected next week. I will report back after shooting it.

Old August 16, 2002, 07:58 AM   #6
Jimmy Mac

Almost bought one of those years ago. The stock did not have enough drop for me. I could not get my head down on the stock good enough to see the sights.

I am a fairly big guy so if your are closer to normal size you may not have that problem.

If you are new to flintlocks dont give up so quickly if you have problems. It just takes a while to learn to shoot one.

We will give you all the info you need to make it work.
Old August 16, 2002, 09:18 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Gustler told me that the Germans got it right the first time with the 30-32" barrel. The longer barrels really offer no advantage in accuracy other than a longer sight radius. This is offset by greater weight and the firearm being harder to wield in heavily forested areas.
Old September 2, 2002, 09:53 PM   #8
TBAUS

The longer barrels will give you a better burn of larger charges. Muzzle velocity will be higher in a longer barrel. My favorite rifle is a Lancaster style flinter with a 42" swamped .45 cal barrel. If you plan on hunting in a lot of brush, then shorter barrels work better. The Germans came to the US with shorter larger caliber Jaeger style Rifles. Americans refined them to longer barreled smaller calibers, then kicked the Brits butts with them. As America moved west, the calibers got bigger to kill the grizzlies and got shorter to be carried easier on horseback.