The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2013, 07:19 PM   #1
ScooterShooter

Powder and primers for .380 auto

I finally managed to find the dies, cases and bullets for my wifes .380 auto but primers and powders are nonexistant in Oregon. Does anyone know of an online source with both the small pistol primers and a suitable powder so I can pay the hazmat fee once?
Old January 27, 2013, 07:34 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I would suggest for primers either small pistol, or small rifle (for rifle standard non magnum will work just fine. I have used thousands of them.) For powder Bull's Eye works, and can be found most anywhere.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:46 PM   #3
lamarw

If anyone does, I doubt they are telling. I just finished reloading 500 rounds of .380 today. My stash of small pistol primers has dwindled down to less than two thousand.

My only recommendation is to place a large order if the vendor will accept backorders. Then, we will both have to wait months if the past is any indication. Otherwise, you will wait even longer. I have an outstanding order of 6,000 with Powder Valley. They did fill my large pistol primer order prior to emptying their shelves back in December.

I suspect Powder Valley will discontinue accepting backoders (at least they did a few years back). Best order and keep wishing and hoping.

Keep checking obscure local shops and paying twice the price. Also sweep out from under your loading bench for dropped primers.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:16 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

With the online orders being on back order it is the deal of wether or not one is willing to pay a higher price to buy at a local shop. The shop I frequent sells primers though they are not low priced. Yet they are not unreasonable either. $5 to $6 per 100 for standard, and magnum primers. A bit more for bench rest/match primers. No discount for 1K purchase. $50 per 1 K.

It is like buying from a convinence store. Sure you can get it for near half that at the grocery store if you want to drive there. Walk through the store, and stand in a check out line. just depends if it is worth it to you to or not.
Old January 27, 2013, 09:05 PM   #5
DFrame

Small Pistol primers and fast burning powders. Bullseye, HP-38, 231, Titegroup. Pay attention to C.O.L. In my experiance 380s tend to work most reliably when loaded to the shortest practical overall lengths.
Your results may, of course, vary!
Old January 27, 2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Fullthrottle

ScooterShooter, what .380acp are you reloading for?

Unfortunatly I do not have any idea where to order online as I buy my powders and primers localy due to the hazmat fee of shipping, not making the deal of product savings worth it. Unless you buy in large bulk or go in on some with another, online sales are not worth it to me.

I just purchased primers at my local gun store for $39 for 1000. Not as cheap as a few years ago but it replenished my supply. Oh and I am in California.

I use Titegroup for my Bersa .380acp and CCI small pistol primers.
Old January 28, 2013, 11:06 PM   #7
ScooterShooter

walther pk380

My wife is getting a walther pk380 soon, so im getting things together to reload for it. Ive heard they have problems like failure to eject and other issues, but thats the one she likes. Im expecting to spend alot of time getting it workin right.
Got powder today, lucky find too. Last is primers.
Old January 29, 2013, 02:07 AM   #8
BigTex308

For .380s I like CCI small pistol primers and HP-38 or Auto Comp.

Auto Comp is prefered but I have a load worked up for HP-38 if I can;t find Auto Comp. (also HP-38 is the EXACT same powder as Winchesters 231)

Ike
Old January 31, 2013, 01:05 AM   #9
highrolls

I am loading for a couple of Bersa Thunder 380's. After much load testing, I am using CCI 500 primers, all loads.

3.0 gr Alliant Unique with 95 gr Montana Gold HP's at col 0.965.

2.8 gr Alliant Unique with 95 gr Win JFP's at col 0.968 .

4.0 gr Alliant Power Pistol with 95 gr Montana Gold HP at 0.965.

4.2 gr Ramshot Silhouette with Montana Gold HP at 0.965.

Best consistency was Power Pistol with a standard deviation of 20, average velocity of 883.
Best velocity averages were Silhouette but standard deviation tends to be above 50.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:28 AM   #10
dacaur

I wouldn't use rifle primers in any .380. Some will say they are the same, but I will trust the people who MAKE them over "internet experts"

In my .380 bodyguard, my plinking/practice load is a
100gr berrys plated RN,
in front of 3.6gr of power pistol,
with cci small pistol primers.
.980" OAL
Works very well. I got the occasional light strike before I got my lee factory crimp die, but have had none at all since I started using it....

power pistol meters much better for me than unique. I used to use unique in 9mm, but now use power pistol in both 9mm and .380. The only difference I noticed was the better metering, but I don't shoot paper much.....
Old January 31, 2013, 04:44 PM   #11
awaveritt

Not to highjack, but I, too am about to start reloading 380acp for my wife's Beretta 84FS. Anyone used AA#7 in the 380? I have some and my Speer book shows it to be a very efficient load. Just wondering.
Old February 1, 2013, 11:06 PM   #12
UnderDawgAl

I really like AA #5 -- clean burning and accurate. I also like Green Dot, although its not as clean in .380 as in other calibers I load and shoot.