The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 31, 2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Composer_1777

LL bean Boots

I'm thinking about picking up a pair since the pricing is really good. I am wondering how are their durability and has anyone used LL bean gear/boots for hunting or general outdoor activities?
Old January 31, 2010, 10:19 PM   #2
Dodge DeBoulet

I live about 15 minutes from the original LL Bean location in Freeport, ME. There stuff is as good as anyone's, and they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

I've had some pull-on LL Bean boots for a number of years and they're still going strong.
Old January 31, 2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Composer_1777

Sounds good. I like to abuse my boots and know i can still count on them year round.
Old February 1, 2010, 06:53 AM   #4
mes228

Boots

I've owned both Beans and Schnees rubber bottom and leather top boots. The Schnees of Montana are better boots by quite a margin in my opinion. Schnees is located in Montana. The Schnees "bob" sole has great traction even on ice. Made for hunting in the Rocky Mountains they are bullet proof, have good foot support, good traction on any terrain. L.L. Beans lack traction and support. Google them and request a catalog. Money well spent obtaining a pair of them.
Old February 3, 2010, 03:39 PM   #5
camsdaddy

I have a pair of LL Bean boots. I have them since 1991-1992 and they keep going. I have had them resoled twice I think and still please. They are comfortable and my only advice is if you plan to wear them on concrete be carefull if there is any oil and they are wet you will slip.
Old February 3, 2010, 08:13 PM   #6
jmr40

Their fairly lightweight and comfortable to wear on flat terrain and mild weather. Not my choice for serious hunting on even moderate hills. The unisulated ones are downright cold in anything below about 40 degrees. I've had a pair for years and really like them for certain uses. They do have limitations however.

The soles do not last very long. But for a price Bean will resole them.
Old February 5, 2010, 01:20 AM   #7
bamaranger

which model

You don't mention which model.

I've had several pairs of the Maine Hunt Boot over the years..both insulated and non, as well as lug soled and the traditional chain sole.

Beane used to re sole and re-upper those at customer request, I don't know if they do it anymore.

The lugs are good in rocks and rough terrain, the chain in mud and around the camp/ranch/barn. I've found the chains get a little slick after some use and are tricky on slick slopes.

I'm considering another pair myself as a bow hunt boot, likely 9 inch, chained, uninsulated.