The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2004, 03:00 PM   #1
barn06hart

Reloading Bench Ideas/Designs

I am only 17 but, i love designing and drawing blueprints and i am hoping to be getting a .223 for Xmas and will start reloading as soon as i get the money and have the time.time is hard cause i play football, wrestle, and run track then work fulltime during the summer but i still make time for my gf and hunting and shooting.... well the point of this post was to get input from you exp. and new reloaders on what features you like to have on your benches. I am also looking for people to send my plans too and have them build the benches and send reviews back on them. I am no way an expert in drawing or designing so ya may need to improv. a lil but the plans should be 95% complete. So reply with ideas and e-mail me with requests for plans there is no charge for them and i'll pay for the shipping i just want to recieve feedback on them. Also ya don't have to build it if ya request plans just look at the and give feed back. I am also willing to design custom plans if ya send me the specs ya want in an e-mail. FOR ALL e-mails to me please have RELOADING as the subject. thankx...pictures of completed benches are great too...
[email protected]
Old December 9, 2004, 03:31 PM   #2
Harpman

Plans

My reloading room is gonna get a make over. What I am thinking is the long bench in front of me, mine is about 11 feet now, Put another short one on my right about 3 feet long, like an L shape, and that short one holds the press's all in a row, on the main bench is all the "stuff". I am going to build a shelf system about 4 feet long and 4 or 5 inches deep and about 3 feet tall with a crap load of compartments to go in front of me, kinda like a post office boxes setup, that will hold all the bullets , gas checks, dies, scale, and so on. with a upper cabinet over head with a light attached underneath it, to lite up the whole area. All the powder gets locked up in a metal gunsafe. Half the bench is a cleaning station on the left side.
Old December 9, 2004, 06:32 PM   #3
alan

barn06hart:

I use a pair of metal, 2 drawer file cabinets as a base, set about 48" apart, out to out. I have a 3/4" x 4 x 8 foot sheet of structural grade ply wood, cut in half, both pieces stracked on top of the cabinets. Given me a "table top" about 1.5" thick. Surface is covered with 12" x 12" sticky back "floor tiles". Easy surface to keep clean, nicer looking than the bare plywood, and the entire rig was cheap. I also have 4 large file drawers to throw "stuff" into.
Old December 9, 2004, 06:45 PM   #4
Fen

I bought a bunch of 2x4's and made a frame. For the top I used a piece of kitchen counter from home depot. The kind that has a lip in the bak and nice smooth rounded edges. The only downfall i've found is that the bench is not very heavy, and when you get to workin on bottleneck rounds there's a good amount of tension pulling the shell back out of the depriming/resizing die. Long story short, the bench moves around a bit.
Old December 9, 2004, 06:54 PM   #5
barn06hart

I really looking for things like what kind of shelving everyone likes and ammo containers and would you like little drawers that pull out to put loaded ammo in like one of those old card catalog library thing connected to the bench and air or sound proof storage areas for powder and tumblers..little things like that.. i need to post some pictures of some of my work...
Old December 9, 2004, 07:14 PM   #6
barn06hart

Heres a lil taste of one a drew during school today
*lil drawers top left for loaded ammo
*file cabinets bottom left
*sound/air proof storage bottom right
*top of bottom right base lift up lid storage on top press mount
*alot of storage on wall cabinets
*plenty of work area
* ~6ft wide 30 in. table height 24" deep worktop
Attached Images
File Type: gif bench 1.gif (8.1 KB, 352 views)