The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 7, 2004, 05:20 PM   #1
abelew

Lee Hand Loader

Im looking to get into reloading, and am curious how usefull the Lee Hand loader (the one that is not bolted down or anything, goes for about 19-30 bux. I ask because I do security, and sit in a car for a long time, and I figure that would be a good time to deprime, prime, etc (the stuff not using powder). Just curious if anyone has had any experience with this.
Old December 7, 2004, 06:01 PM   #2
rwilson452

hand loader

I don't know if I would want to prime setting in a car. spill the primers and you have a real problem. Deprime and size sure. the press would be slow but it looks like you have time on your hands.
Old December 7, 2004, 06:33 PM   #3
abelew

Thanks, am new to reloading, and was thinking about getting a lee priming tool to prime with, and your right, 8 hrs of time just begging to be used for something productive

BTW, does anyone own one of these, as I am curious how well it works also

Last edited by abelew; December 7, 2004 at 07:23 PM.
Old December 7, 2004, 07:54 PM   #4
maxwayne

I believe that it would be difficult to use the loading tool in a car, but the priming tool would be perfect. Prime away.
Old December 8, 2004, 04:23 AM   #5
Leftoverdj

I've never used the Lee Hand Press, but those who do swear by it. I like the Lee Auto Prime II that fits in a press better than the hand tool because it is made of steel and uses standard shell holders.
Old December 8, 2004, 09:23 AM   #6
AustinMike

I started out loading on a Lee Hand Press, back when I lived in a small apartment and a bench wasn't an option. I loaded .44 mag with it just fine. It'll build up them forearms for sure! I don't know about loading while sitting in your car though. You might sit there and size, maybe prime some rounds. I wouldn't be trying to throw powder charges though. When you're dumping powder and seating bullets you don't want ANY distractions.
Old December 8, 2004, 03:06 PM   #7
abelew

yea, good idea, still, would take a lot of the easy steps and let me get paid to do it
Old December 9, 2004, 12:45 AM   #8
brokenfeather

You might want to check out the Lyman 310 tool. I have used it for 45-70 many years ago. Used to load them cartridges in my room on base while is was in the Air Force. Kinda hard to set up a loading press. I could keep the 310 tool out of sight out of mind. Just a thought.