The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 28, 2018, 09:23 PM   #1
Prof Young

Query about suppressors.

So in all the states where suppressors are legal they are still an NFA item, right? Still have to do major paperwork, pay a couple hundred in fees and get a "stamp" or "permit" or whatever it's called.

I'm asking because we may still get them legal in good old Illinois and I have a gun that will take a suppressor but am thinking even if legal it may not be worth the time and expense to get one.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old January 28, 2018, 09:33 PM   #2
Guilty

Currently, yes you will need to pay $200 for a tax stamp for suppressors.
Old January 28, 2018, 09:51 PM   #3
dogtown tom

Quote:
Prof Young .....Still have to do major paperwork, pay a couple hundred in fees and get a "stamp" or "permit" or whatever it's called.

I'm asking because we may still get them legal in good old Illinois and I have a gun that will take a suppressor but am thinking even if legal it may not be worth the time and expense to get one.
"Major paperwork"?
Not.
The paperwork for a Form 4 I can fill out in under ten minutes.
I hand it to the buyer/transferee who signs/dates.
We glue your passport photos and you can roll your own fingerprints if you want. Drop it in the mail with a $200 check and wait.

If you buy via SilencerShop.com it's even easier.

I'm getting stamps submitted in late July 2017 right now. That's about twice as fast as a year ago.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 29, 2018, 02:29 AM   #4
Machineguntony

Shooting with a silencer is quite a pleasant experience.

With a large caliber, the effects on recoil are even more beneficial than the noise reduction. While recoil sensitivity is subjective, the reduction in recoil from a silenced rifle makes it very easy to shoot and handle.

The paperwork is not major; however, with implementation of ATF rule 41f, it is true that it isn’t as easy as it used to be.

And as to your other question, yes, a silencer requires a tax stamp. The lone exception may be the invention from SilencerCo, which allegedly isn’t a silencer because it’s not attached to a firearm, but rather muzzleloader. Maybe. Just maybe.
Old January 29, 2018, 10:18 AM   #5
Sharkbite

The paper work is not difficult at all. A form with your info and the silencer info needs to be filled out. Kinda like a 4473 ( in rough terms). The new 41f rule means you need to include fingerprints (can be obtained at your local PD or Sheriffs office for a nominal fee) and a passport type photo needs to be included. Attach a check for $200 for the tax stamp and send it off

Now the hard part starts. Expect to wait 6-12 MONTHS to receive your approval. Times fluctuated last year, but 6-12 mo is realistic. Sad but true.

So, dont wait...get the ball rolling ASAP so you get the can ASAP.
Old January 29, 2018, 12:14 PM   #6
TrueBlue711

Also, keep an eye out for rebates or in-store discount codes from different suppressor companies. When I bought my Omega from SilencerCo in July (still EAGERLY awaiting that phone call saying it's ready for me to pick up), SilencerCo gave me a code worth $200 to use at their website. I think other companies did similar things. This helps motivate the buyer to not worry so much about that $200 tax stamp.
Old January 29, 2018, 12:52 PM   #7
Machineguntony

I’m going to throw some cold water on the stamp rebates and free stuff.

I’ve been buying silencers since 2013, and as someone who is a bean counter, I always notice price.

There are no true free items or rebates. The manufacturers always reflect the discount in the price of their goods.

In 2013, the spread between street price and MSRP was around 25% or so. Nowadays, the spread is much less, around 10% on average. There are various reasons for the reduction in spread, and I won’t get into them, but manufacturers have always ran some sort of promotional discount.

When making a purchase, do not be tempted by the promotion. Rather compare the net price and see it’s a good deal.

As for the free stuff from SilencerCo, when I bought a couple of silencers from SilencerCo in 2013, they threw in a free mount/piston for each silencer and I also got a free extra end cap from the dealer, plus a free heat cover. Now they just repackage this stuff as part of the rebate.

But then again, this advice applies to every consumable good, not just silencers.

Last edited by Machineguntony; January 29, 2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old January 29, 2018, 02:04 PM   #8
Prof Young

Thanks to one and all.

Thanks to one and all. I appreciate the information. IF Illinois does make silencers legal I may go for it. The gun in question is a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 and it could be "fun" to squirrel hunt with a more quiet gun. But is it $300 worth of fun . . . ?
Life is good.
Prof Young
Old January 29, 2018, 02:24 PM   #9
Sharkbite

Quote:
The gun in question is a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 and it could be "fun" to squirrel hunt with a more quiet gun. But is it $300 worth of fun . . . ?
YES

I have a cpl of rimfire cans. They can make a dramatic difference in the sound level. My fav prairie dog rifle is a 17hmr wih a can. AWESOME!! My 22/45 wears an aluminum SWR Warlock can. Super light, dont even know its there. Ultra guiet.... you basically hear the bolt snapping back and forth. Thats it.

On a bolt action rifle, you dont even get that. The impact on the dogs is louder then the shot.
Old January 29, 2018, 06:42 PM   #10
dogtown tom

Quote:
Prof Young .... But is it $300 worth of fun . . . ?
It waaaay more than $300 worth of fun.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 30, 2018, 11:31 PM   #11
Prof Young

Okay!

Okay! Okay! I think I'm convinced, but some legislation has to happen before I can even begin the steps toward getting one.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old January 30, 2018, 11:47 PM   #12
Theohazard

Just to pile on, I’d say my Dead Air Mask is the best firearm accessory I own. I have 4 silencers, but my .22 Mask is by far my favorite. It usually retails for $400 - $500 bucks at most places.

So with the tax stamp, you’re paying a maximum of $700. Sure, that sounds like a lot, but think of it this way: You’re paying $700 to make any pistol or rifle in .22 LR, .22 mag, .17 HMR, or 5.7mm that has a threaded barrel much, much quieter. And this silencer will almost certainly last the rest of your life, and then some.
Old February 8, 2018, 12:35 PM   #13
Road_Clam

There is no greater awesomeness than shooting .30 cal 180 gr smk subsonics and I can actually hear the bullet wind vortex heading down range, then a distinct "DING" off the steel gong !

I too am thinking a rimfire can for my MKIII pistol !
Old February 13, 2018, 07:11 PM   #14
lockedcj7

I bought a .22 Mite many years ago and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I now have a .45 Shepherd and .30 cal suppressor rated up to .300WM. Even with supersonic ammo, there is a huge difference. I don't really enjoy shooting un-suppressed anymore.