The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 20, 2002, 08:53 PM   #1
Correia

Anybody ever realize that you can put 2 sidesaddles on a BPS?

I was at the gunshow today, being tempted by a used but still dang pretty BPS. $240. Alas, I hesitated, and when I came back by it was gone.

But I got to thinking, after the discussion concerning Crisis Management Reloading, has anybody realized that a BPS (with its downward ejection) could wear a pair of side saddles?

I know the BPS is seldom set up as a fighting gun. I have never even seen an after market extension for one. But you have got to admit, you would certainly be the only person at the range with twelve rounds hanging off of your receiver.

Just a random thought, figured I would share.
Old April 20, 2002, 09:49 PM   #2
Benjamin

Quote:
you would certainly be the only person at the range with twelve rounds hanging off of your receiver

Correia - that is, unless you're confronted by an equally enthusiastic soul with an Ithaca set up similarly.
Old April 20, 2002, 10:13 PM   #3
dZ

Thats alot of mass to hang off of the receiver

are ya expecting to get bushwacked by a ravinous herd of hopped up gophers?
Old April 20, 2002, 11:08 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Or a Remington Model 10.

Could really entertain the crowd......short shuck a bottom dumper with all the tasticle stuff on it, including dual side saddles. They can watch you spend the rest of the day getting it untangled.

Sam
Old April 21, 2002, 04:30 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Gotta admit I've not seen a BPS set up for "Serious" shotgunning. Lessee, dual S/Ss, add a Speedfeed, get George Stringer to make you a mag extension....

Heck, we could have that puppy up to 13 lbs in no time. And the man that can handle it will be strong, strong enough he needs no shotgun to settle crises(G).

Seriously, I guess you could, but extra ammo on the weapon has the Law of Diminishing Returns effecting the results. Once much past 10 rounds, it's like swinging a R/R tie...

Anyone ever handle or fire one of those 1100s with 28" bbl and full length extension?
Old April 21, 2002, 12:32 PM   #6
BAD_KARMA

Choate A-5 mag extensions will work

You can use Choate A-5 mag extensions on a bps. Side saddles are the part I can't find for the BPS
Old April 21, 2002, 02:19 PM   #7
Correia

I never said it would be practical, only really really interesting.

But for those adventerous souls who can never have enough ammo, www.3gungear.com makes a peel and stick nylon sidesaddle that will fit on any receiver. That along with the A5 extension, and a butt cuff would put you at 29 rounds on the gun with an 18 inch tube. Poundage wise, that is an 8lbs gun + what, 5? lbs of shells. Recoil shouldn't be much of a problem.

And dZ, have you ever seen what a hopped up Gopher (let alone a herd) can do to a man's leg? It ain't pretty, my uncle Verl has still never gotten used to his prosthetic leg. Evil little bastards.

Dave, I have not handled one of the 1100s with the full extension (10 shot I believe), but I was beaten at the last 3 gun match by a fellow with one. 28 inch Ported barrel, with the full extension. 5 slugs on 5 targets in 3.5 seconds. I ran the fastest time of anybody with a pump gun (18" 870) at 4.29. The ported 28 (I think that is what it is) inch tube, with that massive extension didn't seem to have much muzzle rise. Go figure.

Sam, I've never shortshucked a BPS, so I have no clue how hard it would be to clear, but then again I have never shortshucked an 870 either.
Old April 21, 2002, 02:54 PM   #8
KSFreeman

Saw a BPS at TR, Inc. set up for practical use. Owned by a nerve doc from Colorado. Being the gunnut I asked him about it when I gave him a ride back to Holy Tony's airport. He said that he bought it as a "combo" at a show in Colorado and just kept the slug barrel on it. He was real happy with it and I must admit it was the prettiest gun on the range (shame to roll around on that black gravel with it).
Old April 21, 2002, 04:47 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Dz, gophers are 1:10 scale wolverines, and terrible dangerous when wounded or cornered, or when a female with kits is surprised(G)...

I shot against a 300 lb noseguard way back who had an 1100 with 28" bbl and 10 shot extension. Boy, could that man sweat! And his scores weren't all that good. Impressive on fast area interdiction. tho.
Old April 21, 2002, 10:57 PM   #10
Intel6

You guys mean an 1100 like this?

This is my "action" shotgun with a ported 28" barrel and a 12 round extension. Yes, when it is loaded down it is heavy but it makes the guys with the 10 extensions jealous

I am a big guy, 6'4" 230 lbs. so I don't think it is that heavy and I am able to control it easily. I also have an 11-87 Police with both a side saddle and an Eagle butt carrier with another 6 rounds. It can also be considered heavy by some but it isn't for me and it is a lot better balanced than the 1100 with 12 rounds on board.

Hopefully this pic will stay up. I have noticed that my pics always end up as a red X. I don;t know if it is Dotphoto.com or not?
Old April 22, 2002, 06:29 PM   #11
kotengu

I've done it to a chinese knock-off of an Ithaca - I can't put a mag extension on it so I took the next logical step. 5 in the mag + 1 in the chamber + 6 on each side = 18 rds ready for fun!!

The accessories themselves aren't really that heavy, but 18rds of 12 ga. adds up pretty quick. I wouldn't say it's unwieldy, but you know it's there!

The worst part is finding a case that this "widebody" will fit into.....
Old April 22, 2002, 09:29 PM   #12
Coronach

Bolt two receivers together and connect the fore arms to a vertical PG. A double bbl pump gun, that only weighs...too much.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old April 22, 2002, 10:54 PM   #13
Intel6

I guess Dotphoto.com doesn't let you link pics for long?

I didn't realize I could also attach a photo so I will try that.

This will hopefully be a pic of my 1100 with the 12 rd mag extension and it is supposed to go with my post above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1100 12 rd ext.jpg (98.3 KB, 93 views)
Old April 22, 2002, 11:01 PM   #14
Badger Arms

You could bolt two Ithacas together and they would be as light as a Remington 11-87! Can you imagine that recoil?!