The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 19, 2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Texas Blues

Glenfield/Marlin Model 25

A somewhat short story if you dont mind.........I had purchased a Glenfield model 25 awile back from a gun store. I wanted a 22 cal that would shoot all three 22 rounds from the magazine, and this one fit the bill. A fine little rifle. The problem was, is that I couldnt get it out of my wifes hands long enough to shoot the thing! Fine then, I went to gun show this weekend in Houston with the intentions of finding another like it, so I could shoot it. I was extremly lucky to find one, the only one in the whole show. I had walked about 2/3's of the tables and found it because I got there as soon as they opened the doors. I talked to the guy a bit about it, then stepped back and told him that if I didnt find another I would surely be back to get that one. As soon as I stepped back, another guy stepped in and looked at the tag on it. As soon as he let go of the tag and backed up, I went right back up there and bought it lol. Wasnt going to take a chance of losing it. Thought "well if I find another, I'll just buy two!" Turns out there was only this one, and I feel really lucky to have gotten it. Once home I found that I had to disassemble the bolt and remove the stuck/mushroomed firing pin, and reshape it. Easy fix really, and it needs the ejector tab that was completely missing, again another easy fix and the parts are already on order. Turns out to be an 82 model, and in alot better shape than the one I already have. The wife can keep the "old model" lol. Just wanted to tell the story, cause I was tickled to find one. Thanks! TB
Old September 19, 2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Marquezj16

I have a 1985 year. It's in excellent condition. I am having so much fun shooting silhouette targets with iron sights.
Old September 19, 2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Jbotto

I've got one, a '78 model, that I absolutely adore. Bought it last year for 100 bucks with the Glenfield Scope, like you, at a gunshow. I'm headed back to that gunshow this year, hoping I can find another. I love shooting this one and it's open sights, but I'd like one to scope as well! We shall see what ends up about it.

Question though for the above posters. I was wondering what kind of front sight your G25's have? Sorry to steal this post, but I am curious, as I've seen both the barrel band variety and the dovetailed (which I have and LOVE!) Just curious, and if you wouldn't mind telling the respective years with the included sight variety?
Old September 20, 2011, 05:56 AM   #4
Marquezj16

I dont know what the proper name is for the sights (blade front and dovetail rear?). So here's a picture instead.
Old September 20, 2011, 09:44 AM   #5
Texas Blues

My older G25 has the band type front site. This newer model has the type pictured above. I have seen ones with a smaller yet sight on them, maybe those are the ones considered the dovetail? My newer model also has the safety warning stamped in the barrel across from the Glenfield stamping, where as the older one does not. I would guess most of the newer ones have this safety stamping and may help others identify the approximate date of thier G25. Also the safety lever on the newer one, or the area where it moves is detented to help assure it stays in the safety position when moved there, the older one does not, you can see it in these pics, along with part of the warning stamp. Thanks, TB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0418.jpg (251.2 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0419.jpg (247.7 KB, 160 views)
Old September 20, 2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Jbotto

Cool! From what you guys have shown me, there are three different sights! A over-the-barrel band, a small dove tail and a screw in front sight like the newer Marlins! Great looking guns guys! I'm hoping to pick up another one soon!
Old September 21, 2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Hunter Customs

I have a model 25, it has the barrel band front sight, it's a sweet shooting rifle.
I kind of have a thing for rimfire rifles, have quite a few of them.
I believe my favorite out of all of them is my Winchester model 75 with peep sights.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old September 21, 2011, 06:33 PM   #8
Marquezj16

I like peep sights. I shoot better with them. I like the way I can focus on the target for greater accuracy. Is their a way to switch the sights on the Model 25 to peep sights, or would that ruin the appeal of the rifle?
Old September 21, 2011, 07:49 PM   #9
F=ma

I got mine for Christmas when I was 11 (thirty-something years ago!). I "rediscovered" it while pricing pellet guns to defend a cherry tree and ran across a box CB shorts. Once again, it's my most-fired rifle; I probably couldn't even find my 10-22 right now.
Old January 1, 2013, 08:16 AM   #10
dogngun

I have a pretty old one, and have had is to long I don't remember when or when I got it...These are great .22 rifles, with adult-size stocks, and if you do some work on the trigger spring, they will shoot with far more expensive target rifles. I have used mine for small game especially squirrels, with a 4x deer scope on it and standard velocity solid Federal ammo that is made for auto pistols. I really like this ammo - it is very consistent an not too much for squirrels...and very accurate.

The Model 25 is the best non-specdialized .22 I have shot, and it is NOT far off the old Anshutz Savage I shot in competition almost 45 years ago.

mark
Old January 1, 2013, 08:37 AM   #11
Hawg

I've got one I bought new in 78 or 79 from K Mart. It has the sights pictured. The mags all have orange plastic followers. I bought seven mags right after buying the rifle and the followers have broken in all of them but two.
Old January 1, 2013, 11:11 AM   #12
shurshot

These are great old guns and VERY cheap to buy as their cult like status and quality has been a well kept secret (until recently anyhow). I picked one up from a friend for $50.00, the stock was BEAT, sanded it down on my day off, applied 15 coats of poly during the following week in the evening hours, free floated the barrel and put a gently used $30.00 Nikon Prostaff 4X on it, and an old leather sling. At 75 yards, this rifle will take a fly off a woodchucks nose. For $80.00 (plus Poly, rings and sling, which I already had), this has become one of my favorite rifles.
Old January 1, 2013, 01:12 PM   #13
L_Killkenny

The first gun I ever bought was a pawn shop Glenfield 25. Sold/traded it off at one point and after a decade I decided (partly outta sentiment, partly outta a want for a gun that would feed shorts) to get another. Found out quickly these were perhaps the most ill balanced gun ever made. Used mine for coon hunting and between the magazine poking my back and the top heavy barrel fallin down when slung I soon parked it in the dark recesses of the safe. Sat there the better half of another decade. As a coon hunting gun it looked like this:

Easy to find in the dark timber but after pullin it outta retirement it ended up like this:

Chopped and crowned the barrel, filled the rear sight dovetail, paint of coarse, worked over the trigger, slapped that scope on for pictures (ended up with a Simmons 3-9x AO on it). The short barrel helped tremendously, the paint did likewise. Shot it a few times but soon grew bored with it and traded it even up for a 95% 1980 10/22.

Last edited by L_Killkenny; January 1, 2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old January 1, 2013, 01:56 PM   #14
mudlark

thanks for the memories

I recall seeing this topic last year and thinking I had to break out the old Marlin. It had taken a spot at the back of the vault for probably a good 25 years. Got sidetracked by the allure of shooting those "Dirty Harry calibers", deer hunting, etc.

This was my very first firearm. Summer of '72, 15 yrs old. 4X "Glenfield" scope. Something like $35 OTD.

Took it out back in October and was punching a steady 2" group at 50yds with cheap ammo. Considering my old eyes, I was happy.

What a flood of memories from my (much) younger days afield.

Going home that evening I thought about how good it would shoot with some better glass and good ammo.

I think I'll leave it as is.

Again, everyone, thanks for the memories.

(Jbotto: barrel band sight)
Old January 1, 2013, 03:35 PM   #15
dalegribble

i bought my marlin/glenfield model 25 brand new from woolworths at the eastern hills mall in 1970. i paid $29.95 brand new with one of those little 22 scopes included. i still have that rifle and scope, it was the first rifle i ever bought and it is still a tack driver. my next rifle was a ruger 10/22 with one of those little 22 scopes and scope mount. i bought this rifle for $39.95 about 6 months after the model 25. i still have both of those fine guns and they still work/shoot as well as the day i got them and will pass them to my children someday.
Old April 2, 2018, 04:48 PM   #16
Pyrox280z

Both those are some nice looking G25s.

Last edited by Pyrox280z; April 2, 2018 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old April 2, 2018, 04:51 PM   #17
Pyrox280z

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Killkenny View Post
The first gun I ever bought was a pawn shop Glenfield 25. Sold/traded it off at one point and after a decade I decided (partly outta sentiment, partly outta a want for a gun that would feed shorts) to get another. Found out quickly these were perhaps the most ill balanced gun ever made. Used mine for coon hunting and between the magazine poking my back and the top heavy barrel fallin down when slung I soon parked it in the dark recesses of the safe. Sat there the better half of another decade. As a coon hunting gun it looked like this:

Easy to find in the dark timber but after pullin it outta retirement it ended up like this:

Chopped and crowned the barrel, filled the rear sight dovetail, paint of coarse, worked over the trigger, slapped that scope on for pictures (ended up with a Simmons 3-9x AO on it). The short barrel helped tremendously, the paint did likewise. Shot it a few times but soon grew bored with it and traded it even up for a 95% 1980 10/22.
What kind and brand of paint did you use on the bottom one with the O.D. green and bipod? It looks awesome!
Old April 2, 2018, 11:31 PM   #18
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Got one just like it. a 22 Mag. Only rifle I know that has a >backwards safety. Still haven't gotten use to my rifles safety after all these years of ownership. Mine shoots spot on with open barrel sights. Maybe that's the reason I never traded it off? >Shoots to good.
Old April 2, 2018, 11:58 PM   #19
Charlie98

I have it's slower brother... the Model 15 single-shot, full size, not the 15Y. A tack driver for sure, I recently put a Williams receiver peep on it since the rear blade is worthless to me these days.

I've got a Model 60, and a 99M1, but none of them hold a candle to the 15.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old April 3, 2018, 12:26 AM   #20
DaleA

Welcome to the forum Pyrox280z.

You might not get an answer from by L_Killkenny 'cause he hasn't posted in about four years but I'm sure others here could give you info about painting a stock, if not, just start a new thread asking the question. Lots of good info here.
Old April 4, 2018, 02:04 PM   #21
BIGR

Oh yes the Model 25, my first .22 rifle back in the 1970's as a young lad, I still have that rifle. With open sights I was deadly with it on squirrels and other critters.
Old June 11, 2018, 11:21 PM   #22
Seronac

Question

I picked up a Marlin/Glenfield Model 25 for a song, but it's missing the bolt assembly. I was able to find a Model 20 bolt assembly, which looks similar in photos, but I want to make sure: Would the Model 20 bolt assembly work in the Model 25?
Thanks.
Old June 12, 2018, 01:37 PM   #23
Charlie98

I can't answer your question, but just FYI, I would make a separate thread for your question... you will likely get a better response.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."