The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 25, 2010, 02:37 AM   #51
SainthoodDenied

I'm still at the point of everyday thinking about ordering the engraved navy with the white grips but then I think maybe I should just order the Uberti navy with the blued steel trigger guard and backstrap from DGW, who knows, one or the other soon...
Old May 20, 2010, 06:17 PM   #52
SirBustaCap

Ya can't beat Pietta quality. They are the best made aren't they? I heard they were the best you could buy and that the uberti and the other sucked by comparison. Is this true?

Last edited by SirBustaCap; May 20, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old May 20, 2010, 07:02 PM   #53
kwhi43

I'll pretend I didn't read that.
Old May 20, 2010, 07:47 PM   #54
suzukibruce

sirbustacap, thats funny right there i dont care who you are thats funny.... and i'll take a hipoint over a 1911 anyday
Old May 20, 2010, 07:59 PM   #55
RemTim

Quote:
Ya can't beat Pietta quality. They are the best made aren't they? I heard they were the best you could buy and that the uberti and the other sucked by comparison. Is this true?
Sir Bust a Cap; You might want to check your facts there. I must say you have brightened my day....with laughter.
BTW there is no denial that Pietta is excellent quality for the money, I would have no reservations about purchasing one.,

Last edited by RemTim; May 20, 2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old May 20, 2010, 08:37 PM   #56
RemTim

Uberti quality

SirBustaCap, I am confused. On a different discussion, you made the following comment:
Quote:
RemTim; That black '71 - I had one just like it and sold it.I regret it.
SuzukiBruce, you made an excellent choice that I doubt you will regret.It is an Uberti, by the way.
The black '71 you referred to and owned was an Uberti.Have you ever owned or handled Pietta or compared the quality of a Pietta to an Uberti? Just curious, that's all.

Last edited by RemTim; May 20, 2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old May 29, 2010, 01:32 AM   #57
zippy13

The party's over…

I just checked the OP's links, and Cabela's sale prices are back up to normal (or more?).
Old May 29, 2010, 02:54 AM   #58
olyinaz

Well all good things come to an end! Be patient, they run that sale at least twice per year so you'll see it again.

Oly
Old May 29, 2010, 10:31 AM   #59
Delmar

Quote:
I just checked the OP's links, and Cabela's sale prices are back up to normal
The sale is not completely over yet. The 1860 steel "sheriff" is still $189.99 1860 link

The 1851 Navy Civilian .44 steel frame is $199.99, that's a steel frame also! It's pretty cool to see that one on sale because lots of times they don't even have a steel frame 1851 on the website.1851 link
Old May 29, 2010, 11:50 AM   #60
Hawg

This is from Cabela's page for .44 1851's

It wasn't long after the original 1851 Navy became a standard-issue favorite among the U.S. military that Samuel Colt began production of his now famous civilian model. Just like the originals, these accurate reproductions include a silver-plated backstrap and trigger guard, octagon barrel, steel frame and walnut grips. Also available with a starter kit.

Talk about truth in advertising.
Old June 1, 2010, 03:50 PM   #61
Forklift

ok, i don't get it

What about the above statement is/isn't true? Curious, cause I'm a newbie.
Old June 1, 2010, 05:09 PM   #62
idaram

Navy's

Colt or the Rebs never made a "Navy" in .44.

The .44's are Pietta/Uberti/Whoever else in Italy making guns way of making a BIG profit.

Best.......Andy
Old June 1, 2010, 07:19 PM   #63
Hawg

In think Uberti made some in the early days but now is just a Pietta thing.
Old June 1, 2010, 08:22 PM   #64
mykeal

Quote:
The .44's are Pietta/Uberti/Whoever else in Italy making guns way of making a BIG profit.
Huh?
How does making a .44 rather than a .36 result in a BIG profit?
Old June 4, 2010, 05:09 AM   #65
CajunPowder

Pietta blued target : Pietta blued 5-1/2 - Cabelas

I dropped by Cabelas in Gonzales, Louisiana. Place was totally deserted at about 8:10. 1 box of 10X lc on the bin shelf, (well handled box), $28.95. Got caps and some stuff. No real black. Still, was avoiding crazy extra shipping fees. :barf: Got TrailBoss too, 9-oz., $14.99 plus tax; for that smooooooth conversion. I got 100 CCI lg pistole. Got some free once fired brass, best kind recently.

I saw a nice pietta blued steel target coming out of the box, didn't look like it had been unwrapped ever. Nice medium thick coat of oil all over it. Like a spray on. great timing, good consistent base pin behavior when rolling the cylinder in and out a few times and really messin' with it.

I was careful and left not a mark. Always working to full cock and then a careful release, never venturing backwards which is safer for this newbie. bolt dropped into the notch so close to full cock it was hard to hear. I did a bunch of slow pulls as the young clerk drooled and stared head to the side. He'll get it.

Weak back sight picture on the target, not wide enough or deep enough but could be worked. Very good balance in the hand. Tight, tight cylinder, perfect fit. It had some really well thought out fine file work on the front of the cylinder. It needed some touch up re-bluing on the front of the cylinder. Really, no cylinder gap, (smooth tight flash gap), and smooth operation all around. They had the internet sale price on all of their items, $199.00. Don't even have to ask for the internet sale price, but it's best to know going in.

The 5-1/2" blued steel Pietta was loose in the cylinder and the sound of the bolt hitting the cylinder, the drop into the notch and the last click into full cock were all the same click and happened real late. Too tight but it might loosen up. There was a second 5-1/2" in the case and a target and the colt. There was a pocket blued Remmie in the case. Got the old "No Key", S&J.

The timing on the Target was very nice, safe and tight with room to flow into just the right places as it wears with much, much use by whoever picks it up. I wish I could pick it up; no regrets I quest.

Both of the pieces had very, very well shaped opposing slanted bolts which is the only thing that saved the 5-1/2", (little geese in the cylinder fit for sure). I'll use it as a morocco in a rumba band. The front top edge of the 5-1/2" pietta's bolt was peaning into a little smashed edge. I think the cylinder in the 5-1/2" was just off tolerance and all those other details that require you sitting down and taking the thing apart and looking and putting back together, that would be a treat.

No nasty inframe tool and file markings.

The target model at that Cabela's is going to the next lucky guy that gets it pulled out of the box. I'm thinking Cabela's internet customer service is giving the floor folks a real run for their money. But spirits are down in these areas what with crude things happenin' all 'round u.s..

The place is huge, about 300 dynamite stuffed prey and prey on YOU animals all over the place. Nice little restaurant which serves Buffalo-Bison, deer sausage, yeah and seafood.

they have good, big chocolate candy bars and an eye-popping selection of cast iron cookware, REALLY big pieces of campfire cookware in stock and lots.

A 1,500 man camp and others are being set up in and around Venice. It'll sell and they are ready.

I had an 1851 colt navy pulled. It's just all together smaller in feel and hold than the Remmie 8" models.

The wedge was stickin' out like ... silly.

The trigger wouldn't lock into full cock unless you pulled it fast, I guess to get some speed and inertia built up on the cylinder. Two clicks!

I can't fairly say anything about the colt as the wedge was so whacked. It's neat to point. The sight thing just makes it a totally different animal. There were 7 or 8 blued Remmie 8" barrel pistols. I bet there's a really nice one in those that are out on the shelf behind the counter. Stacked up. I want a Walker.

Out of the box, the sights on the Uberti SS 8" target are well worth any extra money. A nice set of sights installed of this quality is $75 - $100. Always preference of the individual is the right way to go for each and the Pietta TARGET was certainly tight enough so that there is metal to work with.

The hammer on the blued 5-1/2" is "bobbed", a tiny bit shorter and gives a faster but less forgiving pull. A well timed one of these would be a standard item in any Remmie lovers safe. I was unsure about the feel and handling of the 5-1/2" barrel blued steel Remmie, after studying the 8" closely, it's very, very different. I'm thinking a 6-3/4" barrel is going to be perfect for me eventually, line bored chambers, custom barrel. BLACK POWDER !

I have found additional tremendous meaning in the encouragements by members of this board to in every circumstance make every effort to physically inspect and handle the pieces you purchase.

I watched "Ned Kelly" recently and "The Quick and The Dead". Lots of GREAT shots of revolvers in Q&D.

Last edited by CajunPowder; June 4, 2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old June 4, 2010, 09:05 AM   #66
Erich

Great post, CajunPowder . . . I felt like I was there with you.
Old June 4, 2010, 08:26 PM   #67
CajunPowder

Erich:

You can pick up the brass and the boolits next time.
Old June 4, 2010, 08:52 PM   #68
CajunPowder

End of Sale?

internet stock that was returned; refurbish at the retail "C"? They have some incredible stuffed Gulf fish on the walls as well.

In retail outlets now at internet prices?

Midway countering? Maybe that pile of Uberti Dixie SS targets should be watched for a limited time price drop.

What else is hot, auction mentions? Board members?

Last edited by CajunPowder; June 4, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old June 7, 2010, 02:20 PM   #69
Badchili

Cabelos

I ordered a 49 cal. At first the girl told me it was $289.99 but I told I heard it was on sale for $189.99 She gave it to me for that price.

Thanks

Dave
Old June 10, 2010, 05:42 AM   #70
GunsRfun.

i got the 1860 Army .44 Cal.with Starter Kit. i like the look of the open top frame.