The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 13, 2002, 01:25 AM   #1
AndABeer

Replica flintlock rifles?

For the moment I think I will shelve my plans for a 10mm AR upper in favor of a replica flintlock rifle. My short list of these would be:

British Baker
Kentucky long

Which will put the smallest dent in my wallet? (I guess Kentucky)Which will be the easiest to find ammo for? (I guess Kentucky)

My own preference would be for the Baker but I have only found these guys so far: http://therifleshoppe.com/sys-tmpl/britishbakerrifle1/ and though $1500 is not out of the question, it does give me pause. There was also some outfit in Canada but it was a non firing :barf: replica.

Whatever I end up buying, it would be used for fun shooting and possble a short hunt or two. Any sources, online or otherwise, for either of these rifles would be appreciated.

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown

Last edited by AndABeer; July 13, 2002 at 03:33 AM.
Old July 13, 2002, 08:17 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

KY rifle is least expensive

Or if you want the Baker, you can buy the parts from TheRifleShoppe and go to Conner Prarie and learn how to assemble one. Good books on gunbuilding include George Shumway's Recreating the American Longrifle and Dixon's book (can't remember the title and it's @ my uncle's house).

BTW, the KY, or Pennsylvannia Long Rifle had many schools and you would do well just to study one rifle and attempt to duplicate it. That was my mistake in that I knew nothing and built a gun that, in hindsight, would offend the senses of a 18th Century gun maker. If you must get a kit, go with a Jim Chambers kit it smacks of quality and requires less fitting than other kits. Study, study, study the gun you want to recreate. As is written in the Dixie Catalog, some folks buy a $600 kit and come out with a $600 gun. Other folks take that same kit and make a $1500 gun. It's the workmanship and detail that makes the difference.

Tip: Get a black magic marker. When you fit parts, swipe the part with the marker and place it against the wood. Rap lightly and it'll transfer. It's faster and easier than using "lamp black" or candle soot.

If you can hold off and save your bucks, go to Friendship during the National Matches (Around 2nd weekend of June). Gunsmith Richard Miller (who posts a sign that reads something like: "Today's Gunsmith is Anton Aschen Sch*ittzenpants") does an assembly demonstration. Hang around with Dick and you'll pick up a lot from watching him. Of course, some of his techniques aren't practiced by builders like Mark Silver limit themselves to 18th century building techniques (no sandpaper or power tools), but it gets the job done (which is what counts).