The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 18, 2014, 07:34 PM   #1
Orion6

Remington 783 - Initial test and review

Picked up a Remington 783 in 7mm Rem Mag a couple of days ago. I topped it with Remington's (DNZ actually) integral base/ring set and a Vortex 6-18 x 44 scope.

The rifle itself seems to be well machined and well put together. The Crossfire trigger (Accutrigger type) is easily adjusted and I have it set at about its lowest setting (around 2.5 lbs). There is no creep or takeup (other than the blade), and it breaks cleanly. The barrel is 24" and a medium contour. The gun feels very solid and has some heft to it. The polymer stock is plain but is actually very stiff, definitely as stiff as my TC Venture. It has two aluminum pillars and the typical crossbrace design within. The barrel is free-floated within the stock.

I was not shooting for accuracy today, as I just had a box of factory 140's. I was simply trying to get centered and not shooting for the tightest groups possible. I did get around 1 inch groupings, but was not set up for true bench level accuracy. I plan to try 120 grain as well as 140 over Magpro and/or IMR4350 after I break in the barrel.

One other thing I learned is that Savage 110 bases in the Leupold/Burris/Redfield STD style will work perfectly if you want to go that route.

I'm happy with the purchase. Though I live in a forested part of the world, my lease has some reclaimed mine land and 500 yard shots are possible in many areas. I'll probably limit myself to 300, but I wanted a flat shooting yet common enough round to find brass and bullets for.

I think this rifle is going to do well for Big Green. It IS NOT a 770. Definitely a step up. I think it's very much a copy of a basic Savage 110. Round receiver, two piece bolt, dual lugs, blade style trigger, and barrel nut.

You can get these in Magnums with a 24" barrel (unlike the Ruger American, Axis, etc.) , and the magazines and accessories are cheap. Boyd's also already sells replacement wood stocks for them as well.

For $369 they might be a great idea for a beater, backup gun or even primary hard use deer gun. This is the golden age of affordable accuracy, let's take advantage of it.
Old May 19, 2014, 12:38 AM   #2
ndking1126

I don't like this new look that all these cheap rifles are coming out with, but at least they are getting good reviews.

Thanks for the review, hopefully Remington is getting back to making quality lower end rifles.
Old May 23, 2014, 07:34 AM   #3
ntg

Keep us posted...I have its relative, an X7 and like it a lot.
Old May 23, 2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

As read. A mag bought under 400.00 is pretty cheap. What I've found in the market most if not all American made reduced priced models only came in non-mag calibers. But at that price of 369.00 why not own a mag instead. Having Remington's version of a Accutrigger that alone is a step up. {No need to change out its trigger at a later date.} One thing is for sure. My choice of scope will probably cost more than the rifle itself this time. Haven't encountered that before. What a nice experience that would be for once. Yesiree all plus's no down side to owning a 783 it appears. Thanks for the thread, and update Orion6.
Old May 23, 2014, 01:50 PM   #5
Scorch

The 783 rifle is the latest iteration in Remington's attempts to reinvent itself as a low-cost/high quality firearms manufacturer. The previous attempts (710/770) were notorious for their low quality. I have not seen one in the shop yet, but from the write-ups I guess it may be a better rifle than its predecessors. Magnum contour barrel, pillar bedded, solid lock-up. Glad you like it!
Old May 24, 2014, 07:14 AM   #6
Orion6

Quote:
The 783 rifle is the latest iteration in Remington's attempts to reinvent itself as a low-cost/high quality firearms manufacturer. The previous attempts (710/770) were notorious for their low quality. I have not seen one in the shop yet, but from the write-ups I guess it may be a better rifle than its predecessors. Magnum contour barrel, pillar bedded, solid lock-up. Glad you like it!
Definitely nothing like a 770. Not even remotely like it. VERY comparable to an Axis or Ruger American, only with two available Magnum calibers and 24" barrels. Which, as Shure Shot McGee pointed out, is what separates the 783 from the value pack.

I'll keep updating as I shoot. I handloaded some rounds last night.
Old May 24, 2014, 08:29 AM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
I handloaded some rounds last night.
Good. That's what I would be interested in knowing before a purchase.
Old May 25, 2014, 10:40 AM   #8
Colt46

I think it's ugly

But am hopeful that their latest attempt at a budget rifle may have been better executed than previous attempts.

I think Remington's 600 is ugly as hell, too, yet have always been intrigued by them.
Old May 25, 2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Orion6

Quote:
think it's ugly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But am hopeful that their latest attempt at a budget rifle may have been better executed than previous attempts.

I think Remington's 600 is ugly as hell, too, yet have always been intrigued by them.
There's nothing really groundbreaking about it. It's what the 770 should have been, rather than a new iteration of the 770.

However, it is another option in the budget bolt segment with magnum offerings (my main reason for getting it) and has all the key features one could hope for in a budget gun.

I don't think the looks are as radical as some of the other offerings, but it's not something that will make the purist or fanboy happy. It's definitely not junk from what I can see and I hope people will give it a shot. Remington's a bit late to the game compared to Savage, Ruger, etc. but I personally found it more appealing than some of the other options.

I did shoot my handloads yesterday, and while the velocity was not quite what I was hoping for (Nosler's numbers seem to be pretty optimistic), accuracy was good with my last 100 yard group being right at MOA.
Old May 25, 2014, 03:12 PM   #10
Duzell

got pics?

i didnt like the feel of the bolt on the ones ive tried.

but i did like the feel of the stock in shooting position
Old May 25, 2014, 05:32 PM   #11
Orion6

I've read other people say that about the bolts, but mine is smooth as silk.

I agree about the feel of the rifle when in shooting position. It fits me good.
Old May 25, 2014, 08:46 PM   #12
Duzell

personally it was due to a hang up at the outer edge , it seemed to drag there, instead of quickly sliding back

it could be because most of the ones i handled were in-store, and not oiled up like i would do my own. it was "lightly" oiled .....

overall i wouldn't knock it, it should be a very dependable rifle

and again pics???
Old May 25, 2014, 11:21 PM   #13
Orion6

I'll get some pics tomorrow. Loaded up another batch with Magpro and IMR4350. If the weather cooperates I'll be out shooting.
Old June 7, 2014, 08:20 PM   #14
Orion6

Got some range time with my handloads today.

Max load in IMR4350 and Magpro (per Nosler) shoot about the same .75 group, Magpro a little left and 4350 a little right. Magpro is a little faster at 3270ish, but with that max load I started getting a hard bolt lift. Not really hard, but moreso than normal. No other overpressure signs.

IMR4350 is grouping well with 65 grains under a Nosler Accubond 140, with absolutely no pressure signs. Speed averaged about 3240 FPS.

My groups kind of had a recurring theme - first shot from a cool barrel was a hair off; next two shots touching. Every single group.

Overall I have nothing to complain about with the 783. The trigger is good, not 100% creep free but close; I have it down to about 3lbs right now. The stock is super stiff for an "entry-level" rifle. I've seen some people hating on the look of the stock, but it's very comfortable and keeps with Remington's newer design cues (think Versamax). The Supercell recoil pad is fantastic. I've had zero issues so far, everything is smooth as silk.

I'll keep playing with it over the Summer, but I think I found my hunting load with the 4350/Accubond. I really hope Remington does well with this rifle; it is definitely worth $350-$400. There's not a brand new magnum class rifle at this price that I'm aware of (none for the Ruger American or Axis); so if you want or need a magnum to play with I'd recommend this rifle. Based on the fact that it's a Remington and has a barrel nut, replacement barrels should be out sometime soon (rumor has it someone is working on them now). I'd LOVE a 26" or even 28" barrel.

I will get some good daytime pics of my rig and post them tomorrow. I keep forgetting while I'm shooting.
Old June 9, 2014, 07:32 AM   #15
MDM

Good info here. Answered some of my questions about the 783.
Old June 9, 2014, 08:27 AM   #16
Unlicensed Dremel

Thanks for the review - sound like an improvement over the 710 / 715 / 770 / Whitetail Hunter abomination.

The Ruger American sounds like a better value, or at least equal, however.
Old June 12, 2014, 09:11 PM   #17
Orion6

Sorry for the less than stellar pic:

Old June 12, 2014, 09:14 PM   #18
Orion6

I don't always have the sunshade on, but it was sunny the day of the pic.