The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 26, 2013, 06:46 PM   #1
idek

gloves for cold weather shooting?

I don't know where the best place is for this topic, so I'll just post it here and hope mods won't be too inconvenienced if they have to move it. Anyway, I do all of my recreational shooting/plinking outdoors, and with winter approaching, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for gloves that allow for good dexterity and feeling while still providing some warmth. 40 degree F temps will be typical.
Old October 26, 2013, 07:25 PM   #2
tony pasley

Find a good uniform supply store and check out there search gloves. That is what I use.
Old October 26, 2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Bob Wright

I have bought several pairs of buckskin gloves over the years. Warm enough, yet allows plenty of dexterity.

I was impressed by these once when I reloaded a 35mm camera, a Canon AE-1 Program, while wearing these gloves. And I was on horseback at the time.

Bob Wright

P.S. Be sure to re-sight your gun for gloved shooting. They will change you point of impact!
Old October 26, 2013, 08:09 PM   #4
jimbob86

Driving gloves.

Softball/baseball batting gloves.

GI surplus OD wool glove liners, with or without some or all the fingertips cut off.

It is typically much colder than 40 degrees on opening morning (usually runs 25-30) of Firearm Deer Season here ..... I usually wear a ski glove or a GI leather glove shell with wool liner onmy left hand and keep my right hand in my left armpit or if it is really cold (19 is sooooooooo much colder than 29!) in a pocket w/ a hand warmer.
Old October 26, 2013, 11:45 PM   #5
b.thomas

Old pair of leather ski gloves that are more then forty plus years old.
Worked great back in my duck hunting days (like mid to late 1960's) while shooting my 12 gauge Remington 1148 auto.
Old October 26, 2013, 11:55 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Gloves...

Some armed professionals & license holders(CCW) like the Mechanix line of gloves. They offer dexterity & protection.
The 5.11 line is well made. They have a tactile touch feature to aid in using weapons cell phones etc.
I like the Hatch Operator Shorty. It offers a tight fit for dexterity but you can remove the trigger fingers.
James Yeager of Tactical Response has stated in a few videos that Hatch Operators will wear out quickly. But keep in mind that's with heavy duty/run & gun use(s), .
The Blackhawk SOLAG are highly rated too but they are not cheap.
Im sure you can find a decent pair of gloves to meet your requirements but a quality pair might cost more.

Clyde
www.blackhawk.com www.galls.com www.qmuniforms.com www.uscav.com www.cabelas.com www.natchezss.com www.policehq.com
Old October 27, 2013, 12:07 AM   #7
Chowder

I got some EOTAC combat gloves issues to me but I am sure you can find them somewhere for sale. They fit tight but flexible and only had trouble shooting my pocket guns with them on.

These are very similar.
Old October 27, 2013, 02:15 AM   #8
stevelyn

How about glomitts? Half glove, half mitten. The mitten half folds back to expose half-finger gloves for shooting. I have two pairs. One pair is fleece, the other is wool/Thinsulate.

Ya could also get GI wool trigger finger mitten liners and cut half the trigger finger off. When not shooting, you retract your finger back into the mitt.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old October 27, 2013, 03:36 AM   #9
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
For range work I just keep my hands in some fleece gloves to keep them warm, and then take them off to shoot. Some of my triggers are set at 1 lbs, I don't use gloves on triggers. I also use this same approach hunting in the colder temps.

When I was shooting in literally the -40s F, I did use a pair of gloves that I bought from a camera supply outfit years ago; that claimed good dexterity, feeling for shutter finger, and warmth, not really at -40s F... went back to hands in good gloves and take them out for shooting. Same with my cameras.

This approach has worked fine for me for years, even in the negatives numbers. I do shoot year round outdoors.

Now, go figure...
Old October 27, 2013, 06:03 AM   #10
Salmoneye

All I use are Brown Jersey Gloves...

.79ยข
Old October 27, 2013, 06:48 AM   #11
kln4

Cheap atlas gloves from wally world, package of 5 for 5.00+tx. They have that rubberized grip on them to keep my finger on the trigger. Works for me anyway.
Old October 27, 2013, 07:19 AM   #12
AK103K

I wouldnt call 40 degrees "cold". Thats just nice fall shootin' weather.

When its cold, I wear mittens and shoot bare handed as usual. Ive worked outside my whole life and mittens are the only thing that really keep your hands somewhat warm when youre outside in freezing or below temps all day.

Shooting wise, I just pop my hand out to shoot, load, whatever, and if it gets cold, I just pop it back in for a couple of minutes to warm it back up.
Old October 27, 2013, 07:46 AM   #13
4runnerman

A good pair of Motorcycle Gloves would be ok in those temps. Tight fit,very comfy.
Old October 27, 2013, 02:00 PM   #14
shortwave

Snuggly fit batting or Mechanix gloves work well.
Old October 27, 2013, 02:55 PM   #15
notlikeyou

+1 on the Mechanix gloves
Old October 27, 2013, 03:58 PM   #16
Polinese

I've had a few pairs of Fox gloves that were great for outdoor work with a firearm. I also like the neoprene winter gloves that you can buy. Want to say they're primarily made by Sirius but don't qutoe me on that.
Old October 27, 2013, 05:41 PM   #17
Hammerhead

The gun can make a big difference. With S&W revolvers I have to be careful not to use a loose fitting glove, the material can get caught between the trigger and frame on the return stroke, preventing the trigger from resetting. For revolvers I always use Mechanix gloves. They're tight enough to prevent problems and give good feel for loading individual rounds.

With an auto I can use insulated gloves. I have a set of 'Wind Stoppers' that are thin leather with insulation. Very, very warm.

HK's are nice in the winter with their generous trigger guards, one of the reasons I like them so much here in Minnesota.
Old October 27, 2013, 06:33 PM   #18
ParabellumJ

gloves for cold weather shooting?

+2 for Mechanix
Old October 27, 2013, 08:05 PM   #19
P-990

40 is still warm enough to shoot bare-handed...

At any rate, Mechanix gloves should work at mentioned. I have some lighter fleece gloves I like when it's below 30. Like Hammerhead I find these gloves don't work for a S&W revolver, so through the winter I have a tendency to shoot my Glocks more often. Semi-autos in general are more glove-friendly IME.

Might try a pair of my thermal-Windstopper bicycle gloves this winter. They're fairly light and allow you to retain a fair amount of dexterity. I just wonder if the padding will get in the way.
Old October 27, 2013, 08:30 PM   #20
BigD_in_FL

I shoot a LOT of shotgun year round and I use golf gloves for both winter and summer - gives a good purchase on the stock/grip, are cheap and do a good job
Old October 28, 2013, 08:59 PM   #21
idek

Thanks for all the replies. As some have said, 40 degrees isn't terribly cold. I used to live in northern MN, where we'd go weeks without getting above single digits. But I got smart and moved somewhere milder.

Anyway, I've got and have used various cheap gloves that work okay. I was just curious if there was some ideal option out there that I've been overlooking. I may look into the Mechanix gloves. Are some of them insulated or do people just use regular ones?
Old October 28, 2013, 09:15 PM   #22
BigD_in_FL

As someone who lived in ND and got a touch of frostbite, my fingers and toes are the first to get to me so I use those golf gloves, they aren't insulated, but by keeping the cold wind off the hands, they make a big difference
Old October 29, 2013, 12:24 AM   #23
Sierra280

Being a mechanic, I can't say that I like the mechanix gloves. Very cheaply made, and little to help against the cold. Plus they don't hold up well to wear or chemicals.

I've always really liked glove mittens. Best of both worlds.
Old October 29, 2013, 01:14 AM   #24
Hammerhead

Quote:
I may look into the Mechanix gloves. Are some of them insulated or do people just use regular ones?
Now that you live in a balmy climate, you really don't need insulation, do you?
Or has all the Minnesota worn off?
Old October 29, 2013, 08:37 AM   #25
Rikakiah

I've been using Blackhawk's cool weather shooting gloves lately. Not for shooting, yet, but video work which requires at least as much dexterity. My hands are very cold sensitive (poor circulation and previous mild frostbite) and they do fairly decent so far. The fingers are a little long, but they have grippy leather patches in all the right places which is something I've had trouble finding in lighter gloves.

I've got a pair of heavy gloves from them (forget the model, but they have a reduced thickness trigger finger) that I'll be trying out in the next few weeks for really cold (around here) weather.