The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 20, 2012, 12:30 PM   #1
darestie

Got my first 1911, initial impressions

I've always wanted a 1911 but never made a move towards one. Well, I was looking to get rid of my AR and stumbled upon a trade for a like new Kimber Custom II with some extras. I'm hooked. I really like the big .45 round and love the ergos of the 1911. I was shooting alongside my XD9 first time out and the gun is real keeper. Shot about 75rds and surprisingly was grouping better then my XD despite no prior experience with a 1911. The trigger may be the best part at what feels like 3-4lbs. Recoil isn't as bad as I thought but after a lot of rounds I did experience more fatigue compared to a 9mm.

The only issue was with the first 14 rounds. The guy had traded it to me with two mags both already loaded with Winchester ranger. I unloaded those first and had feeding failures and premature slide lock-backs on both mags. I'm wondering if it had to do with the mags being loaded and stored or the HP ammo. I only shot ball ammo after that with 0 issues. Do ya'll think it was the ammo or possibly the mags (1 kimber mag and 1 unknown)? For now I may stick to ball ammo for HD until I can get this one issue sorted.

In conclusion, I'm hooked. Its not the simplest design or even the most reliable but I now understand why so many people love the 1911.
Old November 20, 2012, 12:38 PM   #2
RobertInIowa

Welcome to the addiction. Sounds like a mighty fine sidearm you've got there. You're problem could be either one, ammo or magazine, you'll need to spend a little time testing to see which it is, I'm guessing ammo.

Have yourself a good time!
Old November 20, 2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Don H

My personal experience with Kimber mags about a decade ago wasn't positive.
Old November 20, 2012, 01:40 PM   #4
darestie

Thanks guys for the comments. What are some good mags besides Wilson Combat. I can get almost 3 colt or Springfield mags for the same price as 1 Wilson. I figure you can't go wrong with a Colt mag, have ya'll had good experience with either make?
Old November 20, 2012, 02:20 PM   #5
pilpens

My Kimber Custom II works well with the OEM Kimber 7 round Mag. I think it made by Metalform.
Wilson 47D did not work well for me - caused jams (double feed, etc).
Tried the 8 round Kimber Tac Mag. It is very tight for 8 rounds. I do not like it.
If I am to try another 8 rounder, maybe ed brown's.
I do not shoot my 45 very often. So, I am plenty happy with the OEM Kimber 7 round mag.
Old November 20, 2012, 03:17 PM   #6
TBT

Can't recommend the Kimber Tac Mag enough.
Old November 20, 2012, 03:22 PM   #7
LockedBreech

The Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick magazines are both well worth the money. The magazine can arguably be the weakest point on the 1911 magazine. Get a few high-dollar, high quality magazines so you don't have to worry about it.