The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 28, 2023, 09:47 AM   #1
smokehouse4444

Quick CC question...

My "normal" carry weapons are a SIG P365 with added flat trigger, and a Walther PDP Compact...depending on the lightness of clothes/Texas heat. However, I do own a Kahr CW380 that is typically a "workout shorts" gun. Something light enough to wear in a holster with no belt etc... I am considering selling the Kahr, and possibly just carrying my SIG P238 Equinox. I LOVE that little SIG, it is heavier but will work I believe. Shoots like a dream.

My concern is it is the only handgun I have with a manual safety. I'm pretty sure I know most people's answer, but I would still like some feedback. It concerns me that in a real, fast, crisis situation, I would not remember to click off that safety. Thoughts?
Old January 28, 2023, 10:23 AM   #2
Skippy

Entirely depends on how much you practice your draw. My experience has taught me to either carry with or without a manual safety all the time.

I alternated either/or for a brief time and learned consistency between carry guns is always better.

Old January 28, 2023, 12:20 PM   #3
FireForged

There is certainly a "possibility" that a person flub a maneuver during under normal conditions, so SURE, its not much of a stretch to accept that the addition of stress and the exigencies commonly associated with self defense COULD foster an error such as neglecting to disengage a safety.

All that said, if you are concerned, its probably a good idea to avoid alternating between manual safety semi autos and semi autos without a safety. Alot will simply depend on the individual, their level of skill, mental control under pressure, trained habit action/ muscle memory and a million other things.

I wouldnt do any handwringing over the subject but I would probably be sure that I am practiced up with my EDC and that I have my head on straight.
Old January 28, 2023, 02:43 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

There is truth in the adage, "We fight as we train." I am a firm believer in the concept of muscle memory. Under stress, the body reacts without conscious thought, and the body does what the body has been trained to do.

This is why I carry only 1911s. They all have thumb safeties, so whatever gun I happen to be carrying or practicing with ... my thumb has to disengage the safety before I can shoot. After several decades, it has become "instinctive."
Jeepaholic
Old January 30, 2023, 07:41 AM   #5
smokehouse4444

I am still weighing my options. I will sell the Kahr, but not sure what I will do after that. I may buy a Ruger LCP Max, or I might just take that money and put it on something else I want....something silly, like a Henry 45-70.
I still have not decided what I will do in the meantime for that gym shorts carry. Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated, and what I expected. I most likely will use the P238 as a "fun" gun, and on some rare occasions.
Old January 30, 2023, 09:57 PM   #6
FITASC

Once I tried, shot, and bought a SIG P365, my Kahr CM-9 went away - the same size with twice the capacity and less weight
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 31, 2023, 11:33 PM   #7
Nathan

I would strongly suggest you narrow your sd package down to 2-3 guns. They should all have a similar methods of operation.
Old February 1, 2023, 12:58 PM   #8
smokehouse4444

Yes, I am in total agreement. I already went from a main carry Kahr CM9 to the SIG P365. Although, very light, the P365 is definitely heavier due to the increase in ammo. I've had the old Kahr CM9 elsewhere, so I've decided to use it as the "gym shorts" gun. Weight and capacity is roughly that of the P238 anyway. Thanks all for the advice.
Old February 8, 2023, 08:54 PM   #9
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehouse4444 View Post
My "normal" carry weapons are a SIG P365 with added flat trigger, and a Walther PDP Compact...depending on the lightness of clothes/Texas heat. However, I do own a Kahr CW380 that is typically a "workout shorts" gun. Something light enough to wear in a holster with no belt etc... I am considering selling the Kahr, and possibly just carrying my SIG P238 Equinox. I LOVE that little SIG, it is heavier but will work I believe. Shoots like a dream.

My concern is it is the only handgun I have with a manual safety. I'm pretty sure I know most people's answer, but I would still like some feedback. It concerns me that in a real, fast, crisis situation, I would not remember to click off that safety. Thoughts?
You will remember if you practice drawing, aiming, and taking the safety off while firing at the range. Repetition will become a habit that you won't forget.
Old February 22, 2023, 09:18 AM   #10
camsdaddy

If you download the P365 magazines would that make enough of a difference in weight to justify not having multiple guns?