The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 28, 2018, 02:59 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

Anyone have the 3" Kimber K6?

Hooray, just found out that it's on the California roster, so can be bought in CA finally!

I handled a 2 inch snub model, but have yet to see a 3" model yet.
Anyone actually own and shot one of those?

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; July 28, 2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old July 29, 2018, 02:04 AM   #2
Wheel-Gunner

Yes, I have one. Like it better than the 2”. Better sight radius, the extra weight tames recoil making it more comfortable to shoot and also allows quicker follow up shots. Trigger is superb.

I did change the grips though. Took off the wood grips and put on the Kimber factory rubber that many of the 2” models come with. Wood grips were a bit long for concealing. The rubber grips just fit my hand a bit better.

I am please with my purchase, although my SP101 isn’t. The SP101 is like an old dog that gets replaced. Once a faithful companion, he sits lonely in the dark safe, hardly ever comes out to play anymore.
Old July 30, 2018, 10:25 AM   #3
Rangegod

K6s 3"

As a die hard S&W fan I hate to admit how much I like the Kimber. Smaller and lighter than my 3" K's (66 & 65), better capacity and finish than the SP101 and an outstanding DAO trigger. The factory grips on the 3" gun are a fail, but VZ grips fixed that for me.

Old August 12, 2018, 07:39 AM   #4
smee78

I got the 2" model last year as a Christmas present land love it, the action is so smooth and it sized perfect with 6 rounds on tap and it has real sights, what's not to love? I would love to see a 3" hammered model available. The 3' guns look funny to me with the boot grips installed and seem to beg for the bigger wood grips they offer, I'm sure they carry nice though.
Old August 26, 2018, 02:31 PM   #5
SAYOC01

I bought the 3" & love it! I carry APEX in a Sticky holster all day. Love it! Started to get a K6S 2" but fell in love with the 3" Kimber
Jim!
Old August 27, 2018, 07:37 PM   #6
turkeestalker

Ordered one of the 3" but haven't got it in my hands just yet.
Already been checking out what Altamont offers to replace the grips and they've a couple of nice more compact options I'll likely look into.
Old October 8, 2018, 05:32 PM   #7
turkeestalker

Finally got it in my hands and I'm kind of surprised that it is not so different in size compared to my DC which is a Ruger SP101 3" .327.
I didn't think that I would like the grip, but it really isn't any larger than the factory rubber w/insert that comes on the Ruger, and seems very comfortable in the hand.
Looking forward to wringing her out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181008_172258823.jpg (159.2 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181008_172438163.jpg (195.8 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181008_172109226.jpg (193.6 KB, 406 views)
Old October 9, 2018, 08:33 PM   #8
turkeestalker

Probably our last warm evening for a while, so I went to the range to try her out.
She was a cupcake with the Speer Gold Dot 125 gr. 38 Special +P, pleasant through fifty rounds.
She was a bit of a female canine with a bite digesting the Speer Gold Dot 125 gr. .357s after fifty rounds.
The grips have got to go.

Only shot it at 10 yards, all on one target.
The 38s grouped better and POI was a couple inches higher, but both grouped well with this jerk on the trigger.
Nice revolver.