The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2016, 07:57 PM   #1
Ghost22

Progressive press mounted on a flexing table

I recently moved and ‘inherited’ a homemade work table in the shed that I plan to use for reloading (my previous sturdy table was too big and will become a work bench in the garage). I load tested the table in question and it seemed to hold enough weight, so I screwed it to the shed frame and mounted my Hornady LNL AP. While the testing the press's operation, I noticed the top of the press sways by a degree or two. It appears the table flexes slightly even though the legs and rest of the table doesn't move.

Will this be a problem during operation? The powder measure is volumetric so it shouldn’t be thrown off by the slight wiggle, and the table could take the strain of me leaning on it fairly hard so I’m not worried about the table breaking. I can set the scales up closer to the shed support and they shouldn't move.

Am I missing something, and has anyone had any negative experience with the press moving during reloading causing unforeseen issues?
Old March 12, 2016, 08:09 PM   #2
Economist

I had a flexy table under my LNL and it made it harder to seat primers. All of the force you are applying to the handle is not making it into the press since the table is absorbing some. After I braced up my table I found primer seating and some large case resizing to be easier.
Old March 12, 2016, 08:19 PM   #3
hartcreek

Yes it will give you big problems. Can you post a few photos so we can suggest ways to brace it to take out the flexing.
Old March 12, 2016, 08:55 PM   #4
Ghost22

Economist: Thanks for the feedback, I hadn't though about that. When I get back to working on the shed I'll brace up the table more.

Hartcreek: I'm not quite sure how to post photos, but I have a few ideas on how to stabilize the table. The table surface is a 1/2" plywood nailed to 2x4s that connect to the frame. I'll screw the plywood to the 2x4s, and relocate the press so it straddles one of the 2x4s. If more is needed, I'll wedge another 2x4 between the table and the shed floor. If that doesn't take all the flex out, I'll throw the old table away and build a heavy duty dedicated reloading table. Thanks for the offer though, and I may revive the thread for table suggestions if I have to go the build-it-right option.
Old March 12, 2016, 09:18 PM   #5
hartcreek

Ghost

Read the threads on photo posting. Post the photos because it is much easier to brace correctly before you try to do something. Some of us have backgrounds in construction myself included so the photo of it now will show what you are doing wrong.
Old March 13, 2016, 12:06 AM   #6
1100 tac

At one time, during some life changes, I did not have a bench to load on, so I would clamp my 550 to the table of my Bridgeport . You want to talk about solid! Sizing and primer seating was very positive feeling!

So, yeah, I am in the strong solid bench camp.

A piece of 3/4 plywood screwed and glued to the top of your existing bench with some additional bracing and framing might get you by OK.

I am a great believer in screws and glue, tends to take the flexy flyer feeling right out of wooden benches, along with some 1/4 aluminum gussets.