The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 6, 2019, 05:06 PM   #1
Prof Young

Tell me about your GP 100 Seven Shot!

Wheel Gunners:

I am looking at an almost new Ruger GP 100 357 with the four inch barrel and a SEVEN round cylinder for $675. The range lady told me that some ammo won't load all seven chambers as they are too close together in the cylinder. She specifically thought Winchester had this problem.

Talk to me, please.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old June 6, 2019, 07:09 PM   #2
Dobe

Check out RugerForum.net, under Double Action Revolvers. There has been a lot of problems with this model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 6, 2019, 08:42 PM   #3
shurshot

I went with the 6 shot, 3" GP-100 .357... 6 is enough for me, worked fine in the old "Speed Six".
Old June 7, 2019, 10:34 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Email Ruger. They have a list of "good" and "bad" ammo.

The issue is real. But not as world-ending as the internet makes it seem.

Before he passed, DPris wrote about his own issues (and victories) with the GP-100 7-shot. There are a few posts about it floating around here. And, somewhere, there's an article that was published by one of his employers.
Old June 8, 2019, 09:37 AM   #5
wild cat mccane

I want one...but think sticking with the 1705 is worthwhile given the ammo restrictions. Since the 1705 doesn't come with the Lett grips...

357 is getting more expensive and less variety.

Interesting that the 686 can properly fit a 7 rnd cylinder and the GP100 cannot. The 686 is larger yet less fat. Meh.

This issue has me looking at another 686 and likely passing on the 1771.
Old June 8, 2019, 02:42 PM   #6
reddog81

According to guns.deals.com you can get them new for cheaper than that. You’d still have to pay shipping and transfer fee. $675 is at least $100 too high for a used GP100. The 7 shot S&W’s 686’s start about $20 higher than that price.
Old June 8, 2019, 02:49 PM   #7
Prof Young

Thanks for all the help and info.

Thanks to all for the info and suggetions. I am going to pass on the GP 100 seven shot. If I can find one that is a six shooter I may go after it.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old June 9, 2019, 12:57 PM   #8
TruthTellers

Didn't know the 7 shot GP's were having so many issues, can anyone give me a brief list of what said common issues are?

At $650, I just couldn't part with that kind of money on something that's apparently going to be a project gun/work in progress. Not saying it's a better gun, but the Taurus 7 shot 692 is under $500 and comes with a 9mm cylinder. That alone will make the gun hold its value over time.
Old June 9, 2019, 01:02 PM   #9
Dobe

Tell me about your GP 100 Seven Shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Didn't know the 7 shot GP's were having so many issues, can anyone give me a brief list of what said common issues are?

At $650, I just couldn't part with that kind of money on something that's apparently going to be a project gun/work in progress. Not saying it's a better gun, but the Taurus 7 shot 692 is under $500 and comes with a 9mm cylinder. That alone will make the gun hold its value over time.

The GP100 cylinder isn’t large enough to accommodate 7 rounds of all ammunition manufacturers. Some ammo will work, and some will not. It is a matter of the diameter of the cartridge’s face. After firing, there becomes an issue with extraction due to the rims tightly compressing against each other.

If you are not using this GP100 for SD, and if you chose select ammo or reload, it will not be an issue. While the Smith L-Frame appears to be smaller overall, the Smith’s cylinder is actually large in circumference. This is why the 686 Plus is successful.

Last edited by Dobe; June 9, 2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old June 9, 2019, 02:46 PM   #10
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobe View Post
The GP100 cylinder isn’t large enough to accommodate 7 rounds of all ammunition manufacturers. Some ammo will work, and some will not. It is a matter of the diameter of the cartridge’s face. After firing, there becomes an issue with extraction due to the rims tightly compressing against each other.

If you are not using this GP100 for SD, and if you chose select ammo or reload, it will not be an issue. While the Smith L-Frame appears to be smaller overall, the Smith’s cylinder is actually large in circumference. This is why the 686 Plus is successful.

I do reload, I have .38/.357 dies and while it wouldn't strictly be for self defense, I keep my guns (especially revolvers) loaded in the event I need them quickly. Can't say I'd have any extra ammo on me to reload with tho.

Most of the time it will be used tho is at the range for fun. I don't always have time to reload, which is why the 9mm Taurus has me interested.
Old June 9, 2019, 04:13 PM   #11
disseminator

While it will be a little more $$ than the Taurus, the 686+ is a GREAT 357 revolver and I can't recommend it highly enough. I have the 4" and it has been 100% and I would tell anyone to buy one in a hot minute.

Old June 10, 2019, 09:09 AM   #12
mrdaputer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurshot View Post
I went with the 6 shot, 3" GP-100 .357... 6 is enough for me, worked fine in the old "Speed Six".
That is what I did also I replaced the front sight which was super easy. I looked at the S&W 686 but some have canted barrels
Old June 10, 2019, 12:09 PM   #13
shurshot

I did purchase the compact grips from Ruger as the stock ones are far too big for good concealment. I painted my front sight with 2 coats of bright neon orange fingernail polish and 3 coats of clear fingernail polish to make it stick. Makes for a sweet off duty weapon and or trail gun. 158 SJHP .357 Magnums are what I keep her loaded with. No stupid hole in it either.
Old June 10, 2019, 11:46 PM   #14
wild cat mccane

That stupid hole is going on 30 years old and the causer of the largest phantom issues ever to creep into the imagination of revolver owners.

On the other hand, my GP100 transfer bar makes a spray paint can envious from the amount of rattling when the revolver is shaken.

Meh.
Old June 11, 2019, 02:20 PM   #15
shurshot

I never claimed any issues, phantom or otherwise with the S&W "hole". I have several S&W's with the hole, never had an issue. Doesn't change the fact I despise the appearance of the hole, or the connection to the deal made with the Clinton Administration. :rolleyes
Old June 11, 2019, 02:59 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

Quote:
That stupid hole is going on 30 years old and the causer of the largest phantom issues ever to creep into the imagination of revolver owners.
There's a S&W lock flag in my box of "notable" parts.
Why? Because my 642 locked up after a few cylinders' worth of ammunition, and the flag was stuck half-extended. No key (I got the revolver used, in a FTF trade). No appropriate tools. DA-only revolver, with the hammer partially cocked, live rounds in the cylinder, and no way to open or disassemble it in the field.
Far from a "phantom issue"...

I ended up having to beat, jiggle, pry, massage, and perform a rain dance, to get the flag to drop and hammer to fall, in order to make the revolver safe to transport. At home, I removed the flag, and never had that type of malfunction again.

I posted about it here, about ten years ago.

Even if you want to write off actual dangerous malfunctions as "acceptable" due to the low percentage of people and revolvers encountering the lock spontaneously engaging, there's still no reason to bemoan the personal opinions of people that think the S&W 'bumhole' is ugly. ...Because it IS.
Old June 11, 2019, 08:10 PM   #17
wild cat mccane

The whole 1mm in diameter hole?

Currently we are talking about how it's a known issue that Ruger GP100 7 shot has an issue with within spec ammo fitting the cylinder, rendering the newest GP100 model a 3 shot revolver.

I think the hole is a bit of non issue against the 686/586 and even the Taurus 66/627 with their 7 round cylinders.

And I own a GP100 and 686.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; June 12, 2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old June 14, 2019, 02:10 PM   #18
Don P

Prof, do your self a favor and by the 6 shot. Much more available for the 6 as in speed loaders, moon clips, if you desire to have the cylinder cut for them.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.