The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 23, 2014, 11:23 PM   #51
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Tonight I processed 169 pieces of .22-250 brass in 78 minutes. That is complete processing... individually lube (Hornady Unique), collet neck size, body size, primer pocket clean, trim, chamfer, deburr.

I measured the first case and an occasional one after. The first measured 1.9025. Every one I measured after read 1.9025 or 903.
Old June 26, 2014, 08:36 AM   #52
F. Guffey

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...0Remington.pdf

Quote:
I measured the first case and an occasional one after. The first measured 1.9025.

Brian Pfleuger, did you measure the length of the case from the shoulder to the head of the case?

F. Guffey
Old June 26, 2014, 08:41 AM   #53
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't measure every single one. They were all sized before trimming, using Lee collet neck dies and Redding body dies. Shoulder measurements are typically within 0.0005, 0.001 at worst. IIRC, the shoulder length (setting) was 1.562.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; June 29, 2014 at 08:29 AM. Reason: corrected measurement
Old March 2, 2015, 08:00 AM   #54
mississaugagunnut

Frankford Arsenal Trimmer

I have just started reloading rifle cartridges and as a result needed a trimmer. I decided to buy the Frankford Platinum unit. Here are my observations.

I think the unit is well made, as stated already on this thread it is heavy and operates at a relatively low rpm.

I do not think it is the most consistent trimmer but for my needs it will suffice.

I run mine seated in a large Tupperware container and all the brass shavings are contained.

The one issue I have is the chamfer and deburring heads. I think I have dulled mine, maybe by pushing too hard on the cases? Where can I find replacements?
I am only trimming 223 at this time.
Old March 2, 2015, 09:40 AM   #55
AllenJ

If you contact Frankford Arsenal they could probably get what you need.

I'm still very much liking my unit, it makes trimming a breeze.
Old March 2, 2015, 10:39 AM   #56
Bart B.

Case length uniformity is the least important dimension for best accuracy and muzzle velocity spread. A .015" spread is meaningless.
Old March 2, 2015, 03:45 PM   #57
mississaugagunnut

I just phoned Frankford and they are sending me two new trimming attachments.
They said that there had been a batch that were not properly heat treated.
Old March 2, 2015, 04:43 PM   #58
AllenJ

Quote:
Case length uniformity is the least important dimension for best accuracy and muzzle velocity spread. A .015" spread is meaningless.
That is good information Bart, thank you. Up until recently I've always kept case length to less than .010 of the recommended max but never exactly the same length for a batch of brass. Lately though I'm going through and trimming each batch to to be exact as I'm going through another OCD stage! Now that I've read your opinion I'll split the difference and make everything within a few thousandths
Old March 2, 2015, 05:46 PM   #59
Gadawg88

Glad they are sending you two new attachments. I also have the trimmer and love it. For future reference, you may be interested to know that the Lyman case prep tool heads like these: http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/c...fer-reamer.php can be used. The metal part unscrews from the handle and is threaded the same as the holes on the Frankford trimmer. I use the Lyman VLD inside chamfer head and the Lyman outside chamfer head on mine.
Old March 3, 2015, 08:10 AM   #60
mississaugagunnut

Great, thanks for the information.
Old March 3, 2015, 11:48 AM   #61
F. Guffey

Quote:
I have primer pocket uniforming tools, I have military crimp removers I run in the RCBS case prep center
Quote:
These are basically nothing more than a stem with a knurled end.
I am sure you are correct but if we are talking about the same thing I would notice when I screwed the tool into the RCBS case prep center, one end has threads and the other end has the cutter. I do have handles from Lyman and RCBS that work when the electricity is off.

And I never want to exclude Hatcher, he said he simply used his pocket knife.

F. Guffey
Old March 10, 2015, 02:04 PM   #62
TRDFurgesson

On order from midway

Lots of LC 5.56 and SSA 6.8 to trim!!!! I plan on using a Hornady cutting head and hornady pilot bushings per a video I found on the tube.

http://youtu.be/hj8wFBL01QY

http://youtu.be/Afaht9eIJpQ

A Glock that is not maintained will last, a Glock that is maintained will last a long time, and a Glock that is well maintained will last longer than you will.
Old March 12, 2015, 09:54 AM   #63
Kframe

I haven't seen the Frankfort one, but I've been tempted by the RCBS version often - I just always find something else I need more for the $125.

Old March 12, 2015, 11:18 AM   #64
TRDFurgesson

can you trim with the RCBS?

A Glock that is not maintained will last, a Glock that is maintained will last a long time, and a Glock that is well maintained will last longer than you will.
Old March 12, 2015, 04:16 PM   #65
schmellba99

I'm happy with my Giraud Triway cutter. $90 and it trims, chamfers and deburrs in a single shot.

The drawback is that it is caliber specific, so you'll have to have one for each caliber. But I don't load volume for anything in rifle but .223/5.56 for the AR. My hunting rifles can be done on the Forstner because I just don't shoot that much with them to develop huge quantities of brass to prep (thankfully).

http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri%20Way%20Trimmer.htm
Old March 12, 2015, 04:47 PM   #66
AllenJ

Quote:
can you trim with the RCBS?
No you can't.
Old November 1, 2015, 01:03 PM   #67
Finianmac

Frankford Arsenal Case Prep Machine

I've been reloading since the 1950s. I have used many case prep machines and my latest which I bought in 94 is the RCBS motorized case prep machine which only trims the length. It's the most accurate and I use it to trim cases for my Rem 40X.
I just bought the Frankford Arsenal machine last week off of Ebay for $156. I have reloaded about 500 rounds of 5.56 trimmed for the SS-109 bullet. The trim length is 1.750" for most cannelured bullets. The cannelure is the most important consideration for semi and full-auto rifles.
The new machine references off of the neck so the is some deviation from 1.750" because of differences in bore profile. Some of the casings are once-fired brass bought in bulk and others are from the local range, so this would answer the question of differing bore profiles.
The differences range from 1.735" to 1.7535". This range is acceptable for the 5.56 under all circumstances except for precise target competition. I have found that the deburring tips can be changed to other brands. The biggest problem I've found with this machine is that the trim length cutter wears a bit faster otherwise it seems to be a good buy.
Old November 2, 2015, 09:51 AM   #68
F. Guffey

I have trimmers, I also have forming dies. When forming cases I trim as much as 27" of brass from 100 cases. I get more millage from a hack saw than I do from the cutter of a case trimmer. Then there is the file, I have files, I use files when trimming. The file when used with a form/trim die is one of the most accurate methods for trimming.

I have the RCBS case prep center, no, it does not trim but when loading it is one of the first tools I set-up.

F. Guffey
Old November 8, 2015, 08:17 PM   #69
Fullthrottle

I picked up the FA case prep center a couple weeks ago. I have only prepped 75 or so 5.56 cases with it, but dang is it far better than the Lee setup in a drill for my uses.
I have been using the Lee method since I started reloading back in 08. And that was a fine method for the many different calibers I was shooting. But a couple years ago when I got into shooting AR's and the sheer volume I am now shooting them, case prep became very uncomfortable. 200-400 pieces of brass at a time.
My hands would often cramp up and I would have to prep cases over a couple weekends at a time.

This FA unit almost makes me enjoy prepping brass!

I so far am happy with it, time will tell on the lifespan of the product, but I for sure will be running it through its paces to find out.

Also I did see that vid already mentioned about using the Hornady bit and using the collet, that may be a good idea.
Old November 9, 2015, 10:31 AM   #70
F. Guffey

I also have air craft countersinks, not a problem when matching the neck to a guide, when using a forming die the small flair snaps off when the ram is lowered. It is not even necessary to cut the metal, just turn the counter sink and flare the protruding neck, then, lower the ram.

If trimming a case or case prep run me to the curb I would quit reloading.

F. Guffey
Old November 16, 2015, 08:04 PM   #71
ziondogg

Has anyone tried trimming 300 blackout on the FA?