The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: Will you consider buying Taurus instead of other makes?
Yes 92 55.09%
No 75 44.91%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 31, 2007, 10:40 AM   #151
William Jesse Magnum

[In my experience, over the last fifteen years, Taurus has had a higher rate of problems necessitating return for repair than Ruger or S&W.

This is a simple statement of fact.]

As I have noticed on this thread and other threads re Taurus quality and on other forums re Taurus related threads... it seems that Taurus just has a more serious quality control problem compared to s&w and ruger (if these are the only choices)

So getting back to your question again, (since i am a wheelgun lover who hasn't yet owned any Taurus wheelgun), will i consider buying a Taurus?

will i? considering everything that i have read re quality control issues?
Maybe not. or If I do really need a wheelgun and the only brand there is a Taurus, then Id pay carefull attention to its mechanism, test fire it before I buy.

Otherwise, Id still stick with a Smithie!
Old July 31, 2007, 11:25 AM   #152
pesta2

Not anymore.

I had a change or heart about Taurus. Use to think they where good, I could not afford a Smith (still can not) so I could buy a revolver In the caliber I wanted for a reasonable price. With the money you have to spend to have it shipped back for their warranty servie, I could have bought a Ruger or a little more for a Smith.

I since sold the .44 Mag to Cabalas. I really do not need it with my Super Blackhawk.

Here is what I posted in another thread I started.

Quote:
Starting to have a change of heart for Taurus…
and it is not for the better. I have always thought they were a good gun for the price. I have 4 Taurus revolvers. It is what I could afford. I am the type of person when I get a new handgun I would like to have it is a different caliber than what I already have unless it is for a specific purpose.

I have:
4” .44 Mag
2” .357
Tracker .41 Mag 4”
2” 44 speical

The .44 and .357 were brand new. .41 .44 special were used.

I bought the .41 Mag used. After I did, I noticed one cylinder was really sticky and on that cylinder the trigger had to be pulled a lot harder to drop the hammer. Well it was sent back to the factory and repaired really quickly and came back working fine.

When I bought my .44 mag, the first time I took it to the range the front sight and pin fell off during recoil after 10 rounds (not liying) and lost in the gravel. It took 8 months to get a front sight and pin from Taurus. It took around 6 letters and 4 calls with each one more frustrated on my part They finally came and the sight was not even drilled out for the pin.

Now recently I took my .44 Special to the range. I bought it used a few years ago. It has a bobbed hammer. I like the concept of a short barrel .44. I went to the shooting range and had a problem. I was shooting standard off the shelf .44 specials and not reloads. I shot 5 rounds then another 5 rounds and everything was fine. I loading again and stared firing but on the 3rd round my cylinder locked up. When I pulled the trigger the hammer came up about ¼” then would not travel to the rear. I emptied and reload and the same thing occurred again maybe the 2nd or 3rd round fired. I tried it a third time and the same thing happened. It seemed worse while firing then it does while dry firing. If I pull the trigger quickly it does not do it as frequently but it I take my time and squeeze the trigger, it affects it more and locks completely up. One cylinder completely locks up and another cylinder fired but need a trigger pull three times greater than normal to fire. So to the factory it has to go now, shipping paid for by me.

My .357 I have had no problems at all.

I am thinking of selling my .44 mag. I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk (my favorite handgun, 4-5/8 barrel) and love Ruger Revolvers. Plus I had a problem with a Ruger .22 Pistol before and factory service was wonderful, the went above and beyond what they need to do. My uncle gave me his Mini-14 and was missing some part, a call the Ruger and the parts came free in a few days. These where not broken parts but lost by my uncle. The Taurus, their fault and I still had to pay for shipping and the parts. It shoots great but since I have the Ruger in .44 mag I don’t shoot the Taurus anymore only has 50 rounds through it. I eventual want to get a Ruger Alaskan in .44 mag. to have a double action .44 mag.

Even though the .357 has been great I would like to eventually sell it and get a 2” Ruger to replace it.

I am keeping the .44 Special once I get it fixed, I just want a 2” barrel .44 special and the options are limited.

I am keeping the .41 mag because I like the concept of a light .41 mag. I took it hiking and worked out great. A powerful cartridge in small package so it is my hiking in black bear country gun.

So out for 4 Taurus Revolvers 3 have had problems!

Never like that with my Ruger Revolvers.
Old July 31, 2007, 01:32 PM   #153
JR47

This is the answer from that thread.

Quote:
If you like the Rugers better, then they are the weapons for you.

Buying used can be buying trouble, with any brand. Was it out of time? Or was it just a sticky cylinder charge-hole? I've had several S&W revolvers that had a tight chamber or two, but a thorough cleaning seemed to cure it. A lot of people buy a .357 Mag., for example, and then shoot nothing but .38 Special through it. It can result in sticking charge holes if they're at all on the minimum spec side.

JB Bore Paste will clean them up, polishing the holes as it does.
Buying used is just that, and you accept the problems that you buy. I'd check under the extractor star for a build-up of crud on the .44.
Old July 31, 2007, 02:09 PM   #154
pesta2

Here was my reply:

Quote:
I guess it is out of timing issues. The cases are not sticking in the chamber. When you dry fire it the cylinder doesn’t want to rotate and the hammer doesn’t want to move unless you pull really hard on the trigger. This has happened on the .41 and now the .44 spl.
Clean is not the problem, it is clean. I thoroughly clean my firearms ever time I shoot them. Two Taurus with the exact same problem now, so this one is going back as soon as I have enough money to pay for shipping. The best one is the 44’s front sight falling off after 10 rounds and the 8 months it took to get the sight.

No more Taurus for me.

I was the kind of guy that kept trying to justify Taurus and the merits to other people. Not anymore, I have seen the light. I just got to a point being feed up with it. 3 our of 4 revolvers have had problems now.
Old July 31, 2007, 07:26 PM   #155
JR47

I bought a new S&W Model 625-3, and it failed after the first shot fired. Totally, you could just spin the cylinder while cocking it. It took S&W six weeks to repair and return a brand new revolver in which the hand had failed.

We bought a used, but 98% Model 29 that has more machine marks on the yoke than entire groups of revolvers. It's off-set machined.

We bought a used, 99% Model 19 that has three tight holes with any brnad of FIRED brass.

We also bought a 99% Model 17 that has a sticking cylinder full of charge holes after about 30 rounds.

Following your logic, I should be out here bashing S&W. After all, FOUR of my last FOUR S&Ws are lemons. After listening to others talking about S&W as the choice for a "used weapon", one would think that this couldn't happen, either.
Old July 31, 2007, 07:57 PM   #156
deadin

JR,
I think maybe you should read and use the sticky at the top of this section.
Old August 3, 2007, 05:02 AM   #157
HiPowerGuy

I'm not a huge Taurus fan, but I must admit, My Taurus 425 Titanium Tracker 4" in 41 Mag is a GREAT gun. Lightweight, not punishing on recoil (as one would have expected) and damned accurate. It's a perfect sidearm for my needs in the woods. I don't consider this a CCW, but it's definately a great woods / tackle box handgun.
Old August 3, 2007, 09:38 AM   #158
JR47

deadin, it would have been hard to predict the failure of the Model 625-3, no matter who's sticky was used. The weapon functioned well, until the first shot.

As for the Model 19 and Model 17, I did put snap-caps in each charge hole, and loaded rounds when I got home. It's after a single firing that they showed their problem. Unless you're going to use inside micrometers on every charge hole, something NOT mentioned in the sticky, that's about as good as it gets.

I don't know about you, but most people aren't going to let you detail strip their weapon prior to a sale. Pulling side plates, or removing the yoke and cylinder, while great to talk about, aren't something that is going to go over well in most cases. The Model 29 IS probably the one that I should have caught. However, as it was used, and S&W Model 29s ARE fragile, I thought that it would be the usual cylinder shims, and go shooting. My bad. I should have expected poor QC from such a cheap brand.
Old August 3, 2007, 07:34 PM   #159
JunyTuck

JR47,
You have gone out of your way to berate folks on this forum for not properly inspecting a firearm before purchase! Now you admit that your own purchases involved disfunctional guns? Your consistency of thought is inconsistent!!!
Old August 3, 2007, 09:51 PM   #160
Thunderhawk88

I have Rugers, Smiths, and one Taurus. The Taurus is a Model 85, which has performed perfect for me, and makes a real nice pocket gun.
I'd buy another Taurus if there was a model that I was interested in, but Ruger and Smith seen to have it covered.
Old August 3, 2007, 10:41 PM   #161
Mantua

I'd buy another Taurus before I buy my first Colt. I have an 85 with about 10k rounds through it, and the only problem has been the thumb piece coming loose and freezing the hammer in place. I reattached the thumb piece, realigned everything and now it runs just fine. I believe that they have a high rate of "lemons" and that their customer service sucks. Even still, my revolver has been nothing but durable and reliable.

::EDIT:: I missed the part about budget not being a concern. I wouldn't buy a Taurus, I WOULD in fact buy a Colt. Then sell it and buy 4 Tauruses
Old August 3, 2007, 10:43 PM   #162
lev83

probably not as Taurus has a somewhat spotty reputation.
Old August 4, 2007, 06:28 AM   #163
JR47

Juny Tuck, I berate no one. The simple fact is that people who purchase weapons with "gritty triggers, or obvious cosmetic faults, or tilted barrels do so out of sheer negligence on their parts.

I follow the check-list at the head of the column, and the faults mentioned weren't listed there, or have you bothered to read it?

Before you opine about my inconsistent logic, how about those proofs? You remember, about Taurus not being used by Military and Elite LEO units in Brazil? Or the proof that Taurus uses "sweatshops with high turn-over rates". Or that they are assembled with "inferior parts"?
Old August 5, 2007, 06:32 PM   #164
collector rob

Cost not being an issue, I would pass on a Taurus revolver. I bought one in 1989 at the Rod & Gun club, when I was in the Army. It was a 669 .357 mag 4". After about 50-75 rounds the action would bind up. Once it sat for 1/2 an hour it would be ok again.
Based on that experience I would have a hard time buying another. At the time the lifetime repair policy didn't mean much to a soldeir stationed in Germany.
I couldn't ship it for repair without BATF import approval, and the Rod & Gun club wasn't any help.
However, a local gunshop had a really nice looking .41 magnum Stainless Tracker that I had been giving some thought to.
Old August 5, 2007, 09:28 PM   #165
100W_Warlock

Taurus Raging Bull all the way...

The newer model Raging Bull lineup is pretty decent. I am about to put on order a 6.5" 44mag stainless model.

I have found the double locking mechanism of the Raging Bull design to be more to my liking. I also prefer the hammer based safety over the whole in the side of the S&W revolvers today.

[I am well aware of the fact that S&W has engineered the S&W revolvers to not be any weaker due to the safety, but, its an eyesore and reduces their value to me]
Old August 5, 2007, 10:09 PM   #166
dalegribble

I have heard the Taurus stories and they gave me pause. I have since bought a Model 44, model 605 and 2 model 92's. I'm not sure about their service as I have never needed it. The revolvers are strong and well made, the pistols function flawlessly and are accurate. Until they do me wrong I am happy. I see them no more likely to break down than any of the other brands I own. I like the 92's best of my 9mm's that also include Rugers and S&W.
Old August 5, 2007, 11:02 PM   #167
Qwiks draw

The poll is over, but it is nice to see the backers still coming into the picture.

As for those who have older 669 and other Taurus revolvers there are some who hate them and many who still have these and are still getting good service out of them.

Funny thing. The Brazilian Taurus web site has so called older models still for sale over there. It's just that they stopped selling those particular models over here. Not that they ever ceased to exist. Just not pushed over here anymore.
Old August 6, 2007, 01:20 AM   #168
earshot

taurus

as i mentioned before, i have 4 of them taurs',and each performs prettty
much as they are supposed to.until recently i would have purchased another one i wanted a tracker in 357 6",but over on greybeards , a sizable dealer
got jacked around by taurus personnel over a defective gun that was that was shipped to him. bottom line it appears taurus has sunk back into their old ways, bad quality control and worse customer service.
this is from a dealer not a purchaser. after reading his story supported by pics no more taurus here.dan
Old August 6, 2007, 08:10 PM   #169
JunyTuck

Jr47,
Although we have had our disageements, I'm elated that you have come full circle on this issue. Gritty triggers, cosmetic defects, and tilted barells are very representative of Taurus products. I would not go so far as saying, buying one is sheer negligence as you have indicated. Let's just call it a bad buy, easily corrected. Nice to see your with us on all the quality issues!
Your new friend,
JunyTuck
Old August 6, 2007, 09:21 PM   #170
gandog56

Quote:
As I have noticed on this thread and other threads re Taurus quality and on other forums re Taurus related threads... it seems that Taurus just has a more serious quality control problem compared to s&w and ruger (if these are the only choices)
And I've had several problems with my Rugers, and none with my Taurus's (Or is it Tauri?) So many problems I've sold four of my Rugers and only have a SBH left. And it has a screw no amount of loktite can keep from coming loose. I always carry a screwdriver in my range bag so I can tighten it back up after a box of ammo goes through. Never wanted to pay the extra money needed for a S&W, though I do have a Dan Wesson.
Old August 6, 2007, 10:47 PM   #171
44and45

I was doing some business with my local in home FFL dealer today, told him about the Nattering Naybobs of Negativity on a forum site...(who made that infamous quote)

That they are putting the bad mouth on Taurus without justification. Knocking the life time warranty...Just passing along the same bull shine they heard from someone else because they're dyed in the wool S&W fans.

He told me, that maybe those fellows don't know that Taurus is number one again this year in leading the nation in its gun sales. Hey! That means they out sold S&W period.

I think we should reevalute our Nattering and face the facts...Jack.

Of course I'm just quoting an in home FFL gun dealer who has several makes of handguns and rifles in his shop...so what does he know.

He had a large selection of taurus pistols and revolvers, the .44 magnum Taurus Tracker was such a flirt, it kept winking at me.

Jim

Last edited by 44and45; August 7, 2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old August 6, 2007, 10:57 PM   #172
Thunderhawk88

Quote:
the .44 magnum Taurus Tracker was such a flirt, it kept winking at me.
I hate it when they do that!!!
Old August 7, 2007, 08:10 AM   #173
JR47

Quote:
Jr47,
Although we have had our disageements, I'm elated that you have come full circle on this issue. Gritty triggers, cosmetic defects, and tilted barells are very representative of Taurus products. I would not go so far as saying, buying one is sheer negligence as you have indicated. Let's just call it a bad buy, easily corrected. Nice to see your with us on all the quality issues!
Your new friend,
JunyTuck
Gee, and here I am, talking about S&W, and my experience with them. Have you tried getting help with your reading dysfunction? I understand that the Mayo Clinic needs volunteers.

How about backing up and answering those claims you made? You remember, Taurus isn't used by the Brazilian LEO and Military Elite Units. Taurus is made in sweat-shops, with high turn-over. Taurus uses inferior metal. THEN you might have redeemed enough credibility to become a "friend".

By the way, spell check is your friend. Disageements (sic) and barells (sic) make your post less understandable, buddy.
Old August 7, 2007, 06:50 PM   #174
JunyTuck

It's okay, I know change is hard, but you are coping well. You can't fix what you don't acknowledge so you are making good progress toward choosing quality firearms!
Thanks for the spelling lessons, adds alot to the debate? Friends should not let friends mis-spell.
As far as the statements Iv'e made concerning Taurus, believe it's in your court to refute them with your own facts, which have not been forthcoming.
Is the Mayo Clinic really needing volunteers? Can you provide some contact info?
Your friend,
JunyTuck
Old August 7, 2007, 07:26 PM   #175
JR47

Where are you located? I can hook you right up.

Quote:
As far as the statements Iv'e made concerning Taurus, believe it's in your court to refute them with your own facts, which have not been forthcoming.
Ok, you made the statement that the thread here was overwhelmingly against Taurus in post #116. Then, you admit that you haven't actually tallied anything here:

Quote:
No, I don't spend alot of time tallying polls and post's in this forum. I have another life!
Also, in post 116, you make the claim that Taurus products are made in sweatshops, with high turnover.

Then, in post #125 you say:
Quote:
Cheap labor & cheap materials and no quality control, overlaid with a useless warranty= inferior!!!!
Try here, http://www.taurususa.com/company/awards.cfm for a list of awards won for quality.

Try here for the proof that Taurus has held contracts for the Brazilian Military and LEO :http://www.taurususa.com/company/history.cfm

As in the other thread where you held forth, again totally in error, the last issue of SWAT magazine, the owner of this Board, chronicled courses taught by Americans in Brazil for Elite Military and LEO forces. It made more than passing mention of the weaponry.

Then, of course, there is member Rescue Me, who isan LEO currently in Brazil. Of course, you also ignore first hand experience.

You have made these ignorant claims, and expect others, or me, to disprove them. As childish as that is, I've done so, several times. Yet, you still continue. Do you even own a weapon? All that we've heard, on multiple threads, was what you don't like. You've tried your specious brand of logic, and now you're just acting childish. Try to actually participate, please.
Closed Thread