The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 11, 2017, 09:47 AM   #1
OhioGuy

Anyone use .22LR conversion kits?

I've been considering the value of having a .22LR variant of my primary carry/training gun, which is a CZ P-07. They sell a slide/barrel/magazine combo for around $230. I think I can find a lot of .22 pistols for not much more than that these days. It would be nice to have something that's identical in operation to my actual gun, but for not much more I could pick up several whole pistols that are fairly close in operation (the Ruger SR-22 is DA/SA...whole different size and shape though...also a Beretta M9 in .22 that's probably a bit more similar...)

My other thought is that I could run another 1000+ rounds of actual 9mm through my gun for the cost of a .22 kit...

Has anyone found such a kit (or even a whole pistol) to be worthwhile from a cost perspective? I'm leaning toward just putting that cost toward ammo but I thought I'd see what others think.
Old December 11, 2017, 10:03 AM   #2

I have several of them for various guns: Glock 9mms, 1911s, Browning Hi-Power.

I really didn't buy mine to save money. I bought mine because, believe or not, in previous "shortages" it was easy to buy .22 LR ammo and much harder to get centerfire ammo. Another reason was that I could shoot my centerfire pistols and not have to worry about picking up the brass to reload. Then there was the time and effort involved in reloading itself. At the time I bought them, I spent A LOT of time plinking with .22s. I probably was shooting easily 500 rounds a week. And I figured it might be a bonus to be shooting that much ammo out of my defensive handguns. One last reason I bought the 1911 conversion is that I got one with a threaded barrel and could shoot suppressed.

The conversions for the most part were good. I got a full sized 1911 conversion kit from Marvel. That is the one that is threaded. It is VERY accurate. I also got a 1911 Officer's Model conversion from Ciener as well as the Browning HI-Power kits. The Glock kits (full sized for a Glock 17 and a smaller one for a Glock 26) were from Advantage Arms based in Kalifornia which means the magazine capacity is 10 rounds which annoyed me to no end.
All of them are picky about what ammo runs reliably in them. The easy answer is CCI Mini-Mags. It has been my experience that if your .22LR gun doesn't reliably function with Mini-Mags, you have a gun problem. However, most of the bulk ammo I was buying at the time (in Walmart) was far less reliable. I shot tons of it, but you had to clear malfunctions frequently. I finally did buy a case of Mini-Mags to solve that issue.

You didn't ask about this, but I also have two .22LR AR15 uppers. Both are VERY finicky with ammo. One of them with not function unless you are using hypervelocity ammo; particularly CCI Stingers. I fought this upper for years, changing springs, polishing, cussing, putting it away for a year at a time out of frustration...............I finally by chance tried Stingers in it and it ran great. Problem is finding Stingers.
The other upper....................I can't think right off hand who made it...........it is a 20" flat top and I have a set of National Match sights on a detachable carry handle on it. It is much more forgiving in terms of function. BUT, I was really, really disappointed in the accuracy of it. I then tried Wolf Match Target in it and it shoots lights out. I have used this upper in numerous Appleseed events.
Oh, I guess I have another .22LR upper, again, I forget the name brand but it is a much cheaper upper and the receiver itself is polymer. I bought it simply because it was on sale some place dirt cheap. And ironically, it was accurate and reliable with pretty much whatever ammo I stuck in the magazine.
FWIW: I am using Black Dog magazines in these .22LR uppers.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.

Last edited by 444; December 11, 2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old December 11, 2017, 10:23 AM   #3
Walt Sherrill

The Kadet Kit I bought, years ago, for my CZs proved to create the most accurate .22s I've owned. It still is, although my Kel-Tec PMR-30 (.22 WMR) may be even more accurate -- I seem to be better with it at greater distances! But it costs more to shoot.

I once had a very nice (beautiful) stainless Ruger Target Competition Government Model with the long, slab-sided barrel. It was a marvelous shooter, but my CZ 85 Combat, with the Kadet Kit installed was just as accurate. I eventually traded the Ruger .22 for a top-end Witness Sport Long Slide in .45, which was pretty impressive in its own right.

The Marvel conversion kit for 1911s may be one of the best conversion kits that money can buy, and some versions can offer almost unbelievable guarantees of accuracy. Folks who like BULLSEYE competition swear by the Marvel kits. Anyone who has shot one seems to become a believer. If I get another 1911, one of these days, I'll save up for a Marvel kit.

Most of the after-market kits for Sigs, Glocks, and Brownings function very well, but don't always offer the same level of accuracy.
Old December 11, 2017, 11:07 AM   #4
RickB

I have one, but didn't shoot it for three or four years, when rimfire ammo cost more than .45 handloads, if you could find any rimfire ammo.
Old December 11, 2017, 11:09 AM   #5
aarondhgraham

I went the other route,,,

Instead of buying Kadet kit for my CZ-75B,,,
I purchased a complete Kadet pistol before they were discontinued.

I always read about people with kits doing it to save money,,,
I'm not convinced that's the wise thing to do economically.

As with a kit, but even more so with the full pistol,,,
I could have bought a ton of 9mm ammo for the $600.00 the Kadet set me back.

I did it because I like shooting 22's more than center-fire pistols.

The only conversion kit I own is one made by Twisted Industries,,,
It converts my Ruger LC-9 to a fine functioning .22 handgun.

But the thing I wondered about did come true,,,
I put the conversion kit on it and haven't fired it in 9mm since then.

Go figure,,,

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old December 11, 2017, 12:53 PM   #6
Auriemma

I bought a conversion kit for my former Tanfoglio Witness PS 9mm >> 22LR. It worked fine except that it would not lock open on the last shot. After numerous inadvertent dry fires, the chamber was damaged, which I had repaired. I called Tanfoglio about this. I was told to count my shots or us a snap cap as my last shot. I ended up finding a spring that allowed 8 shots (was 10) but would lock open.

In the end I just sold the whole kit because I wasn't saving money on ammo, I was spending more on 22LR AND 9mm instead of using less 9mm.
Henry Golden Boy 22LR
Old December 11, 2017, 01:29 PM   #7
BigJimP

I have a few of them...( Wilson Combat, Kimber / and Sig for 226...)...

I thought they were a good idea ...but since most of them are designed not to lock the slide back after the last round is fired...the training aspect is limited. I also found the light recoil of the .22 ...wasn't really beneficial in terms of improving my shooting with the same gun in 9mm or .45 acp ...when I took the kit off.

Since I reload 9mm for around $6 a box ....it wasn't that much cheaper to shoot CCI Mini Mag .22 ammo in the kit....so I quit using them ( gave the kits and some of the guns they were matched with ...to my adult sons, so the grandkids had something to shoot in .22...in a full sized gun ). When the kids were real young they like them ...but as they got to 10 or so yrs old ...they wanted to shoot the guns in 9mm, etc...

If I were to do it again ...I would just buy a stand alone .22...like a Browning Buckmark that has the same grip angle as a 1911....and the Buckmark is a solid gun, locks back after last round is fired, etc...
Old December 11, 2017, 03:26 PM   #8
SIGSHR

I have the Cieners for my Browning HP and M1911 frames, plan on getting the Kadet when I get my CZ, and I wish I could find one for my S&W M639/M659.
Yes, they do not lock the slide back so you do have to be somewhat more aware and develop a new habit. But the ammunition savings is well worth it.
I have fired my Browning HP more with the Ciener in the last 2 years than I have in the previous 48. IMHO the CZ with the Kadet is a near perfect first handgun, a new shooter learns to shoot with the Kadet, the transition to centerfire is nearly seamless.
Old December 11, 2017, 05:06 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I have a full-size 22LR conversion for a 1911, a Commander conversion fior a 1911, and a 22LR conversion for a Hi-Power. I had a Ruger 22/45, but it just wasn't the same as shooting a 1911 and I never enjoyed shooting it -- so I sold it and got another conversion kit.
Old December 11, 2017, 06:00 PM   #10
rt11002003

The one for my SIG p210 6 (Swiss) was great. Made for the gun, same serial numbers, etc. The one for SIG 1911, not so great IMO. Loaned them to friends, 1911 and 22; they loved the 22.
Old December 11, 2017, 10:11 PM   #11
Ibmikey

I have a conversion kit for my Sig p938, a dedicated DPMS AR. 15-22, Colt AR M4-22, a couple of S&W 15-22 and finally a Colt 1911 conversion kit. I do like firing .22 LR in the same platform as their big brothers, beyond more cost effective it is just fun. The ammo “shortage” did not cause me any consternation as I keep 25-30,000 rounds on the shelf— always have—-and replace as I use it.
Old December 12, 2017, 02:11 AM   #12
TruthTellers

I don't and I'll tell you why. I don't believe in using a rimfire conversion in a centerfire gun because you're spending more money on a conversion than it would to buy a new .22 pistol that's built around the .22 LR. You can't tell me a 1911 or a Glock converted to .22 is a more accurate or reliable pistol than the S&W Victory. You can't tell me that a 1911 or Glock converted to .22 is as small or light as a Ruger SR22.

I can understand converting a centerfire Glock from .40 to 9mm or .40 to .357, but to convert the whole upper for the .22, when there are plenty of fine pistols that cost the same or less than the conversion kit, it just seems silly to me.
Old December 12, 2017, 04:39 AM   #13
Leaveammoforme

I have a P-07 Kadet conversion. The main reason was for me to be able to compete in the local 22 LR competitions while not having to purchase a holster and magazine carriers for yet another pistol. I shoot the P-07 during regular matches so it's a win-win.

Same draw, same feel (minus weight and recoil) & same controls. Extra practice for me while others are fighting muscle memory learned from whatever pistol they shoot most often.

I've had the conversion a year and have almost 4,000 rounds through it. It was pretty picky about ammo in the beginning with FTExtract being the biggest hang up which will make your failure drills wicked fast. I removed the extractor and gently cleaned it up with a file. I cut a piece from an o-ring (maybe 2 millimeters long) and placed it in the hole under the extractor spring to increase tension. Runs ammo that it never would now.

Magazines are not interchangeable. Be sure and get "P-07 Kadet" mags and not regular "Kadet" mags. Mags will not drop free unless you add weight.

Highly recommend the conversion to anyone who wants to get better with a P-07. You will save money in the long run while getting a better benefit than just dry firing.
Old December 12, 2017, 09:15 AM   #14
PzGren

I got an old Ace conversion with the floating chamber.

I also have a .22 l.r. conversion for revolvers.To me the conversion sets are mostly curio articles, since I find them all not as accurate as my good rimfire handguns.
Old December 12, 2017, 09:20 AM   #15
jmorris

I have one of the old steel slide floating chamber Colt ACE conversions, it’s a nice piece of work. Fits one of my Gold cup frames better than the original 45 ACP slide.

I also have an advantage arms top end for a Glock, with the aluminum slide the gun is so light, it feels fake. I was most impressed with its accuracy though.
Old December 12, 2017, 09:57 AM   #16
rodfac

Yep....I have a Ceiner for my Colt and Ruger Commander .45s, a Marvel for the Gold Cup but which also fits several other .45's (a WWll Remington-Rand, a 5" Ruger, and another Series 70 Colt), also a Colt Sliding chamber upper for the Gold Cup.

Of them all, the Marvel is the most accurate...good enough in fact for NRA Bullseye competition. It'll hold < 1.5" at 25 yds all day long with a variety of ammunition, CCI Mini-Mags being the most trouble free. But the Ceiner is a close 2nd, and both are more accurate than the original center fire uppers.

When I got into Sigs, I also bought a .22 upper for the P226 Mk25 and have used it extensively to practice that difficult DA/SA transition between the 1st and 2nd shots. It's helped...and I found that, as with the 1911's, the .22 unit was at least as accurate as the center-fire.

I find all of them of great value, now that the price of .22's has come down, and I've used the new lower prices to really stock up. For me, they're most valuable to teach new shooters the fundamentals of marksmanship, safety and short gun handling without the recoil, muzzle blast and expense of the big calibers. Too, they all work well for me to re-visit the fundamentals of trigger manipulation, sight alignment & picture, and grip uniformity as well as draw/presentation technique...hell...they're just a lot of fun when you get stale with the big stuff.

For the long guns, I've got an expensive upper that fits my Colt Match Target AR that I've never been able to get shooting right...it's been back to the nationally known gunsmith twice but with no success. It's a match barreled, superbly accurate gun too...pity.

Back when I was still competing in classic Service Rifle, National Match Course matches, I managed to find a Springfield 1922 M2 (.22 understudy for the '03 Springfield) that's been a lot of fun, though less useful for practice in rapid fire than I thought. (the clip change/reload during sitting and prone rapid fire is the key to an '03 if you want to be competitive) But the gun is fun to shoot. Built in 1931, with its Lyman #48 receiver sight, it's capable of 1" gps at 50 yds if my eyes are cooperating. Not too bad for an 86 year old rifle steered by a 71 year old shooter, I think you can agree?

So I've found the .22 understudies for my center-fire guns of value, fun to shoot, and inexpensive if your ammunition supply holds up. They're worth the money spent, giving you the identical grip and trigger for practice when the larger caliber upper is impractical.

HTH's Rod and forgive the ramblings....
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; December 12, 2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old December 12, 2017, 11:23 AM   #17
Ibmikey

The conversion kit. For the Sig P 938 turns a micro defense pistol into a mini target/combat pistol. I have the standard kit ( as opposed to the target sight version) with included night sights and same length slide as the 9mm abet considerably lighter.
The pistol set up with this unit is great for defensive drills, double tap exercises and the like or can send soda cans bouncing all over the Shooting area. It is just. A fun piece of equipment providing low recoil fast handling combat style pistol.
I personally can see great value in this setup maintaining the petite size of the pistol.
Old December 12, 2017, 11:32 AM   #18
RickB

Quote:
I don't and I'll tell you why. I don't believe in using a rimfire conversion in a centerfire gun because you're spending more money on a conversion than it would to buy a new .22 pistol that's built around the .22 LR.
The conversion allows use of the same trigger, grips, safeties, etc., which would probably not be the same in a different gun.
If you are using the conversion for training, rather than just an alternative caliber, then having the same frame is a large part of the attraction.
Old December 12, 2017, 12:19 PM   #19
TracerTesterman

I had an Advantage Arms .22 conversion for my Glock, I planned on using it in .22 Steel Shoots.

But I couldn't get it to function well enough to use. I ended up switching mid-match.

I ended up selling it off, but it was nice enough for plinking. I'd recommend one again.
Old December 12, 2017, 01:45 PM   #20
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
The conversion allows use of the same trigger, grips, safeties, etc., which would probably not be the same in a different gun.
If you are using the conversion for training, rather than just an alternative caliber, then having the same frame is a large part of the attraction.
If one is going to train with a gun, then they should at the very least be using the same caliber they intend to use in the gun.

Tulammo and Wolf is really cheap for 500 or 1000 round case.
Old December 12, 2017, 03:18 PM   #21
RickB

For some drills, such as draw-to-first-shot, the caliber of the gun doesn't matter.
Certainly, for transitions and anything that requires timing between shots, full-caliber training is going to be preferable.
Old December 12, 2017, 03:25 PM   #22
Lexspeed

I had an Argentina made 22 conversion kit for my Browning High Power. I picked it up NIB but never used it. It only came with one mag and I just have too many other options for shooting 22s that I thought would be more practical. So I ended up trading it off. I don't miss it.
Old December 12, 2017, 04:39 PM   #23
OhioGuy

Wow, lots of great responses! Thanks everyone!

To the point about not using one, because they're not as accurate as dedicated platforms built around the cartridge--I think I'd agree. I've had an S&W Victory, and those sorts of pistols can shoot gnats out of trees. I ended up selling it because I didn't use it that often...absolute accuracy wasn't what I was going for (now that I've discovered some rimfire shooting competitions, I may go back and buy another next year).

My interest was more in a cost effective way to train more with the gun and accessories I already have. If my CZ P-07 in .22 conversion isn't as accurate as a Victory, that's OK. What I'd mainly be doing with it is gaining extra trigger time on that same gun (with the same trigger!), practicing repetitions with the DA pull. I figure that shooting rapid fire strings when there's almost no recoil won't be the most valuable use of ammo, but I can practice coming up rapidly on target, or drawing fast, or doing the "press out," hundreds of times for very little money.

That is, once I have the kit! That's my conundrum. I think I can get the Kadet kit for around $250. I order bulk 9mm at around 18 cents/round. So for the price of the .22lr kit, I could do around 1,400 9mm shots from the holster or the press-out. That's a LOT of practice using the real cartridge that I carry.

For cheap plinking fun, I already have a Walther PPQ .22lr that I bought on sale (under $300!) last year because...just because. That's a fun gun and very accurate! I liked it so well that I got a PPQ Q5 Match for competition. Whenever I train for accuracy I run 100 rounds of .22 single-tap, and then 50 of 9mm double-tap. It's a great combination.
Old December 12, 2017, 06:35 PM   #24
TruthTellers

Quote:
That is, once I have the kit! That's my conundrum. I think I can get the Kadet kit for around $250. I order bulk 9mm at around 18 cents/round. So for the price of the .22lr kit, I could do around 1,400 9mm shots from the holster or the press-out. That's a LOT of practice using the real cartridge that I carry.
This is my point. You can get steel case Wolf at SportsmansGuide right now for 16.1 cents/round and get free shipping.

I'd rather go that route and train with 1500 rounds. By the time you've shot all that ammo, you'll be really good with that gun.
Old December 12, 2017, 06:59 PM   #25
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy
...If my CZ P-07 in .22 conversion isn't as accurate as a Victory, that's OK.
You might be pleasantly surprised. I've had a lot of CZs over the years, and I still use my Kadet Kit with my 85 Combat. That kit was MORE accurate than any .22 I've owned.

Most Kadet Kits are surprisingly accurate. Part of it has to do with the design: The upper, the barrel and the sights are a single unit, with only a relatively small bolt moving when the round is fired. (Some conversion kits have the same sort of basic design, but not all of them do it as well.) Mine locks back the slide with the last shot.

I've thought about getting a Kadet Kit for my P-07, so that my son, my grandson and I can all shoot .22s at the range.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; December 12, 2017 at 09:13 PM.