The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 16, 2017, 09:02 PM   #26
kmw1954

Just went to range yesterday with a friend from another forum. Got a chance to shoot a couple of his 45's. Great fun!
Old November 17, 2017, 07:31 AM   #27
mavracer

I've gotten to the point where there is little to no difference between shooting freestanding and shooting from a rest.
I will have more fliers freestanding though.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old November 17, 2017, 10:13 AM   #28
Onward Allusion

Inherent accuracy is usually measured from a ransom rest at 7, 15, & 25 yards.

Whenever *I* talk about my accuracy with handguns, it's always off-hand from one of the more traditional stances: weaver; modified weaver/fighting; & even isosceles. Accuracy for me is usually 1-1.5", 4", & 7-10" for 7, 15, & 25 yards, respectively.

Then you got folks who say that they can do 2" groups at 25 yards and never mention that they are shooting from a bench.
Old November 17, 2017, 11:46 AM   #29
kmw1954

Onward you are much more proficient than I am with those numbers.

At 7yds I'm happy with a fist size, 12yds is fingers spread, 25yds is a paper plate. But then these old shaky hands and eyes are hard to focus some days! Also seem to do better outside in natural sunlight and indoors under lights.
Old November 17, 2017, 01:18 PM   #30
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
Inherent accuracy is usually measured from a ransom rest at 7, 15, & 25 yards.
The Ransom Rest data I'm aware of with handguns is at 25 and 50 yards. 25 yards is standard. 50 yards is generally with Bullseye guns.

Where have you seen Ransom Rest results at 7 and 15 yards?
Old November 17, 2017, 04:44 PM   #31
RIDE-RED 350r

I don't know what a Ransom Rest is. When I talk about shooting with a rest, it is improvised with a sandbag or something similar. And then there are improvised in the field rested shooting positions, knees while sitting in my turkey chair, shooting stick, that sort of thing. My best so far using my knees from the turkey chair is a paper plate size group at 50yds with my S&W 629 Classic with 6.5"bbl and fiber optic front sight. I really don't know how I can improve much on that this side of going with a scope. Still working on getting there with the shooting stick..The big sights really make that sight picture tricky to duplicate at 50yds and I only expect that to get trickier as my eyes are going to be turning 40 years old in a couple of months. Reading glasses are just around the corner from me, I've noticed it working with small carburetor parts lately...
Old November 17, 2017, 05:00 PM   #32
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE-RED 350r View Post
I don't know what a Ransom Rest is.
http://ransomrest.com/
Old November 17, 2017, 05:30 PM   #33
RIDE-RED 350r

OK, gotcha. Yeah, I guess by that standard I can hardly refer to anything I do or use as a "rest"! LOL!
Old November 17, 2017, 07:37 PM   #34
ShootistPRS

I use a supported hold when I want to know the accuracy of a round or pistol. Ideally it is a forearm support like sand bags or padded wood block. When hunting with a handgun it was usually a tree or the top of a knoll. I do shoot targets standing and either a one or two hand hold. My pistol and ammo is more accurate than I am but 1 to 1-1/2 inch groups are not hard at 25 yards with my 357s. My 45 is less accurate than I am but it is a short barreled single shot with a 3" chamber to hold 410 shells. With 45 olts I can keep them mostly on the paper and with 410 slugs I can keep them in a 5" group at 25 yards. But it is really a neck gun. Press it into the neck of the guy trying to kill you and pull the trigger.
Old November 17, 2017, 08:39 PM   #35
Danoobie

I shoot target using only what I will have in the field. Kind
of defeats the purpose, to shoot really accurate at the range, then
shoot for crap, in the real world.
Old November 17, 2017, 09:39 PM   #36
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Onward you are much more proficient than I am with those numbers.
Actually, we're not too different on 15 & 25 yards.
Old November 17, 2017, 09:59 PM   #37
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Where have you seen Ransom Rest results at 7 and 15 yards?
While 25 yards is definitely more common, I've run across more than a few articles on 7, 10 & 15 yards for snubbies, pocket pistols, & shorter barrel pistols.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/...illennium-g2-1 "Accuracy testing was conducted from 15 yards by firing a series of five-shot groups off an MTM K-Zone rest with 9mm factory ammo loaded with four different bullet weights. "

http://www.handgunsmag.com/reviews/s...in-9mm-and-40/ "Accuracy results are the averages of three five-shot groups fired at 15 yards from a sandbag rest.
Old November 17, 2017, 10:58 PM   #38
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
While 25 yards is definitely more common, I've run across more than a few articles on 7, 10 & 15 yards for snubbies, pocket pistols, & shorter barrel pistols.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/...illennium-g2-1 "Accuracy testing was conducted from 15 yards by firing a series of five-shot groups off an MTM K-Zone rest with 9mm factory ammo loaded with four different bullet weights. "

http://www.handgunsmag.com/reviews/s...in-9mm-and-40/ "Accuracy results are the averages of three five-shot groups fired at 15 yards from a sandbag rest.
The articles you show tested guns from a MTM K-Zone or sandbag rest, but not from a Ransom Rest, which you previously claimed in post #28.
Old November 17, 2017, 11:07 PM   #39
James K
Member In Memoriam

i have always sighted in a handgun by using q two-hand hold and resting the wrists on sandbags. I make sure no part of the gun itself or the grips touches the sandbag(s) or bench. This has worked for me and switching to off hand (one hand) or two hand shooting from a standing position does not change the POI.

Jim
Old November 18, 2017, 12:37 AM   #40
Onward Allusion

Well, thank you for pointing that out. Personally, a rest is a rest. I only shoot handguns off-hand.
Old November 18, 2017, 01:16 AM   #41
FrankenMauser

Quote:
i have always sighted in a handgun by using q two-hand hold and resting the wrists on sandbags. I make sure no part of the gun itself or the grips touches the sandbag(s) or bench.
I'm a "wrists-only" guy, as well. (Or fore-arms...)

When I was about 10 years old, I was shooting a S&W 28 at the bench, and my father saw me resting the butt. After his best attempt at explaining why that's a bad idea, he had me fire a cylinder for my best group. Then he dropped a tube sock-like lead shot bag on the bench, had me rest my wrists on it, and told me to fire a cylinder's worth for my best group on another target.

I learned. ...And have stuck with the 'rest your arms - never the handgun' approach ever since.

I don't do it, but my father did have one exception: Revovler trigger guards. He was fine with resting a revolver trigger guard inside a rifle rest, so long as the forcing cone (barrel-cylinder gap) was in front of the forward edge of the rest. Seemed to work for him...
Edit: For anyone that wants to try it: Watch your finger placement. It's a good way to bust your knuckles - especially with home-made metal rests.