The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2023, 08:07 PM   #1
308Loader

Progressive press opinions

I’ve been reloading since 2014 so not super new to the game, recreantly started dipping my toe into the progressive loaders. Picked up a Lee 1000 at a gun show (old style with square base) set up to load 45acp. I’ve loaded a couple hundred rounds with it and think I like it, but it takes some tinkering to run smoothly. Have used different single stage, a couple of turret presses, one auto indexing in the past and they are ok, but the progressive is so much faster, even in new guy overthinking mode for pistol loads.

Looking for guidance on the next phase. Don’t mind the tinkering to a point, don’t want the frustration if not necessary. Are the newer presses easier or better? Are the other brands more fool proof in mechanical design? Not looking to fully automate my loading session, just faster and smother.
Old February 3, 2023, 09:41 PM   #2
rodfac

Lots of opinions but I'd suggest Dillons...I have two, both 550B's, one set up for small primers, the other for large. Between them I'd guess I've loaded more than 50,000 rounds of handgun & .223 ammunition. They're backed by the industry's best customer service too. One phone call and the parts you need or the advice you request is on the way.

I've hand loaded my ammunition since 1962 IIRC, and bought the Dillons ~15 years ago with complete satisfaction. I've broken a cpl of primer decap pins and one spring bar that operates the primer feed and that's it. Dillon covered both in less than 4-5 days at their cost.

Don't be afraid of the progressive functioning, it's pretty straight forward. The 550 series & 750, I think, advance the shell plate manually...i.e. you can still operate the press like a single-stage if desired. Bottom line: they're worth the money and you'll not need to 'upgrade' to a different press in the future, unless you're loading the practice ammunition for an LEO agency.

Best regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; February 3, 2023 at 09:47 PM.
Old February 3, 2023, 11:22 PM   #3
olduser

Only one qualifies

I second Dillon 550. They are simple to set up, reliable and easy to change to another caliber. I will say the primer system is the time consuming part to set up so if you can afford it one for small primer and one for large primer is nice.
Old February 4, 2023, 01:22 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Generally, Lee has a lot of innovative products that work quite well. However, their progressive designs, specifically, have thus far eluded Lee's usual ability to marry functionality with low cost. They all have a reputation for stoppages that slow overall production speed. That said, if their equipment is what your budget can handle, then that's how it is, and it will still be faster than not having a progressive press.

The Dillons have served me well. A lot of folks also like the Hornady progressive, and fewer seem to have said anything about the current crop of RCBS progressives, but that may only mean fewer own them yet. There are also the presses that get into the thousands of dollars to consider, but I'm assuming that since your starting point is the old Lee 1000, you are probably not planning to spend that much. I don't have one. I've run a Dillon 1050 that a friend owns, and it is faster than the lower numbers. I know nobody with the Chinese (at least, I assume it is) Frankford Arsenal 10-X machine, except there is a YouTube video about it, and it seems designed to compete with the Apex 10, which is U.S. made. The Dillon 1100 falls between the in price.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 4, 2023, 01:36 AM   #5
Jim Watson

Dillon 750 has automatic indexing.
This is a protection against double charging, but is one more thing to adjust and maintain.
Old February 4, 2023, 01:48 AM   #6
AzShooter

Dillon all the way. The 550 does not advance the cartridge automatically, you have to advance it. Great press if you pay attention to detail. 650 or 750 would be my choice. Easy to load 5 - 600 rounds per hour. With case and primer feeders on my 650 I was getting close to 800 rounds per hour.

If you shoot any type of competition a progressive is a must.

Dillon's warranty is wonderful. Over the years if a part broke I'd call and they always send the replacements for free.
Old February 4, 2023, 07:43 AM   #7
jetinteriorguy

I have a Lee Classic Cast Turret, Lee Loadmaster, and a Dillon 550B. I know the turret isn’t technically a full on progression, but it brings some very nice characteristics to the table. It’s simple to set up and use, almost idiot proof safety wise, produces excellent ammunition, and has a pretty decent production rate. The turret press is simple for multiple caliber changes and extra turrets are cheap. I’ve added three features, the roller handle, strong mount, and case ejector from Inline Fabrication. The Loadmaster now resides in a box in my closet. The Dillon works well, for me it’s taken a bit of time to get used to the rhythm but once I got used to it it’s been pretty foolproof and works very well. Last, Dillon’s customer service is second to none. I bought the press used and some parts were missing and others worn out, they replaced everything including missing parts at no charge with fast service.
Old February 4, 2023, 11:35 PM   #8
tlm225

I only have experience with two progressive presses, a Lee 1000 and A Dillon 550C. I would never own another Lee progressive. Love my Dillon.
Old February 5, 2023, 12:02 AM   #9
308Loader

Thank you for the replies. good food for thought.
Old February 5, 2023, 09:09 AM   #10
John D

Have had a Dillon 550 for over 30 years. Once you have your dies set in your toolhead, converting to different calibers is very easy. I don't really think switching from large to small primers (or, vice-versa) is a difficult chore. Adjusting the powder drop takes far longer....but, once you've got it dialed in, just keep pulling the handle! I'll echo the Dillon customer service - it's second to none. Great tech support and parts replacement.

(off topic: there are several posts about only keeping one powder on your bench when reloading. I will strongly endorse this! I even put a blue removable tape on my powder reservoir with the load data to remind me what's in the hopper)
Old February 5, 2023, 09:22 AM   #11
Nick_C_S

Just to add on . . .

Quote:
Dillon all the way. The 550 does not advance the cartridge automatically, you have to advance it. Great press if you pay attention to detail.
I could have written that ^.

I have a 550 and I have no desire for anything else. I load a little differently than most progressive loaders. For starters, I want my brass shiny and clean - inside n out, including primer pockets. So I wet tumble in ss pins. The brass must be decapped in order to do that. Since I'm decapping, I'm also resizing (of course). Since I'm on a progressive, I also flair in this step. Then the wet tumble.

Brass reconditioning and brass reloading are two discreet processes in my head. I also prime by hand and charge on loading blocks. So I'm not a "from start to finish" progressive reloader in the classic sense of the term. The 550 only has four stations, but the way I do things, I never need more than three.
Old February 5, 2023, 11:42 AM   #12
totaldla

Auto-indexing makes it difficult to make KABOOM ammo. Just something to consider...
Old February 5, 2023, 04:31 PM   #13
sevt_chevelle

The simple fact one can buy a Dillon and ten years later sell it for more than what they paid speaks volumes.

You are not doing that with a lee
Old February 5, 2023, 04:53 PM   #14
WmMunny

Bought a Dillon 450 back in the 80's when they first came to market.

Been chunking out a fair amount of handgun and rifle rounds ever since.

Never hiccuped, nothing ever broke-- and except for a little light surface rust on some of the steel parts (my fault-- lack of oil/WD40 rubdown), it works as well as the day I got it.
Old February 5, 2023, 06:47 PM   #15
308Loader

"The brass must be decapped in order to do that. Since I'm decapping, I'm also resizing (of course). Since I'm on a progressive, I also flair in this step. Then the wet tumble." - Nick C_S

Hadn't thought of that approach, kind of like the idea. So, are you sizing and flaring dirty brass then wet tumbling? Or is there a dry tumble between the range and reloading session? I picked up a Lee APP for the decaping, works ok.

Dillion seems to be the go-to in progressive according to the responses. Anyone need a couple of Lee presses? Just kidding, for now. Will need to do some more homework and fund raising before I commit to the blue.

Again, thanks all!
Old February 5, 2023, 07:19 PM   #16
Marco Califo

Personally, I like to do all case prep work including priming before loading, in batches. Then sit down at the press and drop powder and seat bullets.
I do have a Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro Progressive Press 90900, but have not set it up yet.
To me progressive presses are good to make a lot of one thing, like 9mm or 223.
But to load a few new bullets and do expansion and feed tests, I can do that with my RCBS ChargeMaster Combo and a Lee hand press.
I do not plan to acquire a Dillion; I really like my Lyman turret.

Last edited by Marco Califo; February 5, 2023 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Fix
Old February 5, 2023, 07:28 PM   #17
Heavy Metal 1

I have been using my Lee Pro 1000 for 30+ years and have loaded thousands of rounds on it. It was frustrating at first and most of that was my fault. Keeping things clean and properly adjusted is the key as well as paying attention to the multiple simultaneous processes happening. I can afford a Dillon, but I have no need for one. My Lee has met my needs. Lots of satisfied Dillon customers though.
Old February 5, 2023, 09:59 PM   #18
Nathan

Lots of Dillon lovers in these parts, but I’m going to suggest you jump on a Hornady LNL and give it a shot. The basic one is good and you can add all the upgrades when you see the need. I never have, but to me, 1000 rounds is a big lot!
Old February 6, 2023, 02:42 PM   #19
Nick_C_S

Quote:
So, are you sizing and flaring dirty brass then wet tumbling? Or is there a dry tumble between the range and reloading session?
Very astute. Yes, brass from the range gets a dry tumble in corn cob before any processes.

Then a quick spray lube - even with my carbide dies; I figure why not? It only takes a second and the lube residue is going to get washed off in the wet tumble that is going to happen anyway, right?
Old February 7, 2023, 10:15 AM   #20
kmw1954

I'm with Heavy Metal 1..

When I got back into shooting and reloading a number of years ago now I fell back on what I had experienced previously for loading just pistol ammo. I knew for certain I didn't want to do a single stage again.

Spent time looking for a used turret until one day I stumbled upon a Lee Pro 1000, complete setup minus dies for a 38spl.. I was able to buy it for much less than what I was seeing turret presses for. So I did some quick research on the web and forums so I already had a very good idea of the pitfalls. Follow some very basic simple rules, set up the press on a bench that will not move and have at it.

I now own that Pro1000, an Auto Breech Lock Pro, a 4 hole turret press, a 3 hole turret press and an RCBS JR3 single stage press. The Pro 1000 loads all my pistol ammo and the single stage and 3 hole turret split duties on reloading my 223.

Have been following a thread on the new Lee Pro6000 six position press but have decided I have no need for that many stations. 3 work just perfectly.
Old February 7, 2023, 06:18 PM   #21
FITASC

I'll be different; had a Dillon 550, now have a Hornady Lock-N-Load; does a great job and costs less.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 7, 2023, 10:56 PM   #22
MoscowMike

One thing I like about the Hornady LNL is that there are enough stations for me to run an RCBS Lock Out die which detects over or under powder charges. Reduces the chance of problems.