The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 16, 2018, 06:48 PM   #1
KyleYankee

NHM-91 out of alignment

When looking down the barrel from the center of the receiver, it appears the barrel goes off to the right. As in, I can see all the way through the barrel but the other end of it Without using the center of the receiver as a point of reference, the barrel seems totally straight. This leads me to believe that the barrel itself is NOT bent, but perhaps "seated" in the receiver at a slight angle?

Rifle seems to shoot well. I didn't have the tool to adjust for windage when I went to the range, but shots were pretty consistent albeit hanging left of point of aim.

What do you AK veterans make of all this? Something I need to worry about?

Here's two pictures in different lighting, note how even though the camera is centered you can see more rifling on the left side of the barrel than the right.
Old February 16, 2018, 06:50 PM   #2
KyleYankee

Images did not link apparently. > https://kyleyankee.imgur.com/all/
Old February 17, 2018, 05:42 AM   #3
shaunpain

My AK is in the same state. It appears on my example that the front trunnion to the muzzle seems to kick just ever so slightly to the right. I have heard of many others with cheaper AKs having this same issue, but the rifles seem to shoot fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old February 17, 2018, 08:22 AM   #4
Mobuck

If you don't really bother to aim the rifle, this isn't really much of a problem. AK's are generally effective for use by untrained shooters. This way shooter skill doesn't conflict with random chance which is the basis for the lethality of massed AK fire.
I've had a couple of AK's. My performance expectations were low and I wasn't disappointed.
Old February 17, 2018, 09:41 AM   #5
joeb

The rear sight block, gas block, or front sight tower are canted, or a minor combination of. These are all pressed and pinned in place with many being out of alignment. I've several ak's with these slight issues. There is no problem outside of cosmetics providing there is sufficient adjustment to dial the sights in. I've a maadi RPM with the long barrel which looks to be bent as your rifle does, but it is only a matter of my perception.

The worry can almost drive one nuts.
Old February 17, 2018, 12:33 PM   #6
KyleYankee

The gas block is canted a little bit. I figured that wasn't an issue since the piston doesn't hang up on anything and it cycles just fine. I hope it isn't a sight issue I haven't zeroed it yet, but the adjustment tool is on the way and I'll find out soon enough!
Old February 17, 2018, 04:59 PM   #7
joeb

As long as there's enough movement on the drum you should be able to walk it in. I'm not that familiar with your model, but if it has the RPK rear sight the windage adjustment can be compensated for there also.

Now I'm gonna have to look your model up to see if it does have RPK sights....If not and the drum isn't adequate then you're looking at pulling the front sight assem. and moving that. Another option would be getting an RPK rear sight rather than messing with the front if you don't have enough drum movement. this would be easiest.