The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 3, 2009, 08:36 AM   #26
dutchy

Save it

Kennedy,

Although I agree that restoring it is not worth the dollars or it's value as a shooter, there is something to be said.
On one of the pictures some oil is on the stock.
Just see how nice the wood looks under it.
Furthermore it is a family heirloom.
My advice is: Restore it yourself, slowly, getting familiar with it.
Conserve it, hang it on the wall, NOT over the fireplace because it will catch soot and dust, and enjoy it as decoration.
Better not shoot it, there are cheap alternatives to do that.
Old October 4, 2009, 12:00 AM   #27
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think we have nailed it. The stock marking, though very blurred, appears to be the Colombian eagle, and the rectangle below it seems to have the numbers "19?2" which could be 1912. The Steyr Model 1912 carbines had serial numbers prefixed with an "A", and had "C" on all the parts. They originally should have had the Colombian crest on the receiver ring, but that appears to have been removed, either deliberately or by neglect.

For those who have Ball's Fourth Edition, check pages 104-107 and see what you think.

(My Chinese guess wasn't bad, both countries start with "C", and I was only wrong by a continent and 10,000 miles or so. Maybe I should be Secretary of State - at least I know where China and Colombia are!)

Jim
Old October 5, 2009, 08:30 AM   #28
kennedy

Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I picked up the 4th ed of Ball's book and that has helped a lot! Believe me, The more I oil it and polish it the better it keeps looking (minus the pitting of course) I was really surprised how nice the bolt looked after a little cleaning. Glad I didn't pass it up by how it looked. Im also working on another mauser I think I got nailed down as a czech vz23 (barrel and action) but its missing a alot of parts. Good winter project I guess. The bolt and stock are in tough shape (and probably not vz23 issued parts) but I think it will be fun to put something together.